The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My little idea that didn't happen but could've been cool

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 9:36am

Post #1 of 6 (985 views)
Shortcut
My little idea that didn't happen but could've been cool Can't Post

Just thought I'd share this little idea that I had because I think it could've been neat.

Works particularly well if Thorin was a little younger (smaller) in the prologue when Smaug attacks. The child (teenish) Thorin notices the dragon and shouts "DRAGON!!!". In the ensuing chaos little Thorin is smashed violently in the chest, either by a claw or some rubble. He falls down unconscious.

Another dwarf (Balin/Thrain) runs back to his aid. They remove his clothes to see if he's okay and notice the mithril vest, which they also remove. Thorin sits up and there's not a scratch on him. They both look at the cast-aside vest thankfully and move forward through the chaos toward safety.

Later Thorin finds the vest and has an emotional moment with it before handing it on to Bilbo explaining that it saved his life once but is too small for him now.

What do you think?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jul 2 2014, 9:37am)

Name
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 2:12pm

Post #2 of 6 (535 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

My only problem is that it gives away the strength and power of the vest to the audiance a little early. I think it should be first tested when Bilbo's wearing it, that way there's more emotional attachment to the character who "should be dead."

But other than that it's a cool idea, and I think it would have given the opening sequence a little more drama.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 2:59pm

Post #3 of 6 (512 views)
Shortcut
Not Bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Even at the age of 23 or 24, I don't think Thorin would have been considered to be a young child at the time of Smaug's attack; he was probably of an age (in Tolkien's canon) to be thought of as an adolescent. Since Jackson kept the same birthdate for Thorin (as seen on the tapestry Bard found in Lake-town), I think we have to consider that Smaug's attack on Erebor was brought forward at least a few years in time.

The suggestion that the shirt was crafted for a young Elf-prince makes one consider if it might have been originally intended for Legolas when he was still a child.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 3:47pm

Post #4 of 6 (485 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that could have been pretty cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

It may have come off a tad corny though, if it wasn't done correctly.

Our destiny lies above us.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 12:40am

Post #5 of 6 (432 views)
Shortcut
Too convoluted and contrived. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the kind of scene that says "look what a clever film-maker I am", and, as a result, takes the viewer out of their suspension of disbelief.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 9:52am

Post #6 of 6 (416 views)
Shortcut
I cannot see... [In reply to] Can't Post

... this scene being included without destroying the great pacing of the AUJ prologue.

I think the emotional pay-off would not be that big... as Thorin's "madness" will play a big part in Bot5A I doubt this scene will have that much emotional weight... the emotional pay-off between Thorin and Bilbo will not become until the death-bed-scene - imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.