Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
who here has been homeless? can you share any tips?

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 12:55am

Post #1 of 22 (531 views)
Shortcut
who here has been homeless? can you share any tips? Can't Post

hi --

i am currently homeless because my home was partially destroyed in january, and the insurance company has been just plain evil (for example, for six months they refused to admit that the mechanicals -- furnace, hvac, hot water heater, electrical, etc., were covered; they finally stated, "if you can prove the units were originally sold with furnaces, hot water heaters, etc., we'll cover it." we gave them a copy of the original brochure that advertised the units with "top of the line hvac system, furnaces," etc.).

this has been made more difficult by the fact that i'm part of a townhouse association and although i own the house, pay the mortgage, etc., it's the association which has jurisdiction. i am also shifting from house to house, and sometimes have not known where i'll be living. a lot of scrambling. oh, and because this has been dragging out so long, i lost my job as a contractor, so now i'm homeless and jobless.

i'd like some input from anyone who has been homeless. first, you have my empathy (so much!). if anyone who has experienced this has tips on resources they discovered, or tips / tricks to getting by, i'd appreciate it.

i've already discovered free wi-fi at a large supermarket chain which is open until midnight. public restrooms at another grocery store, which is open until midnight.

a friend told me that someone told her that there's some government program that says every citizen is entitled to 18 months of housing if something happens. i've never heard about that, but i'm following up.

if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it.

thank you.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 1:31am

Post #2 of 22 (381 views)
Shortcut
Not homeless. But incredibly poor [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Try for a part time restaurant job - pizza places are good, you can eat entire portions that people just leave, and also eat cheap to free, and get stuff to eat later.
2) Does your area trade money for recyclables? Also check for a plasma/blood donor center - you can donate plasma and get paid a few bucks - better than nothing.
3) Dumpster dive.
4) Counties in my area do have emergency funds, also check churches etc. many help the homeless. Don't know about the amount of time or how much, but at least in my region there is emergency aid.
5) Consider contacting the media re local news shows to intercede. Also other homeless advocates and state insurance commission.
6) One of the two big box hardware store chains has WIFI - maybe both.
7) Wish you best of luck - you WILL get out of this.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 2 2014, 2:21am

Post #3 of 22 (349 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles, Maciliel [In reply to] Can't Post

and have nothing really to offer by way of assistance, only sympathy and support.

Of the many great suggestions, though, that Avandel provided, I would encourage you as well to consider reporting the inaction of your insurance company to the media. A neighbor of mine was having problems with storm flooding from the property of a church behind their house which for years gave them the run-around about fixing the problem. A church! They finally took action after they learned my neighbor had contacted a local news station and was meeting with a reporter. Public disgrace and bad publicity are great motivators so I say have at that insurance company.

I'm hoping we'll hear back from you before too long with good news. Take care!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 2:48am

Post #4 of 22 (348 views)
Shortcut
!!!!!This should not be!!!!! I'm so sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that alerting the media might help, as others have said. I've never done it myself (but I've thought about it!). Are your possessions--the ones you could save--safe somewhere I hope? I know that's way down the list right now, but I do hope you have books and mementos to look forward to living with again (soon!).

If you lived around my area, you could help me eat my garden vegetables and berries I am growing. I always have extra. (I'm in the NE U.S. If that sounds like it might be local, feel free to send me a P.M.). I've never been homeless, but it could happen any time to pretty much any of us.

I seem to remember hearing something about gleaning laws recently. I don't remember anything about it, but I did just find this: http://humweb.ucsc.edu/...s/html/websites.html

Please keep us posted if you can. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 2:59am

Post #5 of 22 (337 views)
Shortcut
I agree with the Mayor. It should not be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am Googling too.Angelic Its just a wrong thing. Your insurance company should be forced to pay for emergency housing! But I see your conundrum, as the Association has lawsuit jurisdiction.

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 3:53am

Post #6 of 22 (335 views)
Shortcut
What country are you from? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are from the US, though I haven't been homeless my aunt works at a shelter.

I would check in with some local churches. Even if you don't share the faith, they might be able to point you in a good direction. A lot of churches also have free meals once a week- I have noticed that (at least in my area) it's usually on Wednesday evenings.

I don't know how common they are in other areas, but the Union Gospel Mission in a town near me also does job training and some of the homeless get work in their thrift stores too. My aunt's shelter is for women and children, and I believe is a branch of the UGM.

St. Vincent de Paul is another charity that is present in my area (though I have seen that they seem to be a global Catholic charity). They do assisted housing- they have apartments and you pretty much have to be in situations similar to yours to get one.

Also check out Habitat for Humanity. They require 'sweat equity', so you help build the home (since you were a contractor, that would probably be very easily up your alley Wink) but it's for people who are very poor and are without adequate housing. Given your description, you would probably (likely) qualify.

There are often shelters around that might at least afford you housing for short term. You will want to be very careful with your things, and lock them if you can (and hide valuables). Not saying you are by any means, but a fair number of homeless either ended up that way due to addictions of some kind, or developed them while homeless (my husband and I knew someone like that after he came to Christ, and he ended up with alcohol addiction and on the streets). Addictions cost money, so try to not show anything valuable at shelters.

As for work, I would try to find anything you can. Did you lose your job because they fired you? You might be able to apply for unemployment. Even look to jobs like supermarkets and fast food- in the northern hemisphere at least, it's summertime, and at least in my area places like that are hiring.

Maybe you can try to go back to school. There are a good amount of scholarships out there for people in your situation, and there's financial aid that might cover the cost of a dormitory while you study and put a roof over your head (and you can also learn skills for jobs that are hiring- I know contractor type stuff is pretty low right now). It's rare, but even some community colleges have dorms (the one in my area does).

You could also consider joining the military, if your morals are ok with such a thing. It's guaranteed roof over your head and job security, and meals. It's definitely not for everyone though- so I would research it thoroughly (pray if you do) before you commit to anything like that.

I would also recommend volunteering while you look for work. It will not only give you the chance to keep busy (under a roof) but it could also help you network and connect with others who might be able to point you in the right direction, and it could give you job experience in an area that you previously didn't have. You could also volunteer in a 24 hour facility, such as a hospital, that will keep a roof over your head during the night.

Check into food stamps, TANF, and other aid programs. And check out donated food banks. Or ask churches- I know mine collects food for the food bank, and we've also gotten groceries for people in tough straights before. Same with clothing- you'd be surprised what you can find in thrift stores (good place to look for interview clothing). Some places, like our local St. Vincent's, does days where clothing is 25 cents apiece, or what you fill in a bag is a dollar or two.

Look into being a rental property manager on site. Most of those will pay a stipend and provide an apartment. And you would likely have experience with maintenance related things, which would be a plus for you.

You can also see if you can do road work (tis the season!)- I imagine that it's not very different from building construction Smile

Here's a couple links for you:

https://www.svdpusa.org/Assistance-Services

http://www.habitat.org/

Look up union gospel mission- each city's site has a different url.

Best of luck to you for sure! I hope things start looking up for you, and that the things I mentioned can help point you in a good direction. We'll be praying for you! Evil

Also, on a side note- it sounds like your insurance is trying to rip you off, and it seems as though they might be going on the illegal side of things in not wanting to cover your home. I would talk to a pro-bono attorney in your area- you might get someone who can cover your case and will do it pro-bono, which means for free. I would gather every last bit of documentation you can get a hold of with regards to your insurance policy, and the damages to your house- as many pics and everything as you can. You may well have a case, and given what all has transpired due to this, the insurance company may not simply have to cover your home but also reimburse you for lost wages and any costs you may have accumulated due to being homeless (motel fees, etc). I don't normally advocate lawsuits, but when a company is doing something illegal and you are in the position you are in now as a direct result, it's time to look into your legal options. From what it sounds like, the insurance company simply does not want to pay out on the damage, and if it states in your policy that they will in the case of the type of damage your home sustained, and you paid your premiums on time and faithfully, then you most definitely got a case.

If you are anywhere around northern Idaho or eastern Washington, send me a pm- we can try to help out as well Smile

Good luck!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jul 2 2014, 3:59am)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 4:12am

Post #7 of 22 (325 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been homeless, but I have been jobless [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry to hear about your situation, your insurance company sounds ridiculous (insisting on proof of the mechanicals when a townhouse was purchased? WTF?) Agree that getting the insurance commissioner involved may help force the issue.

In addition to Avandel's list, I would also suggest the following if you haven't already:

File for unemployment: not sure of your specific circumstance and the laws in your state, but you should be able to file online and may be able to get some financial help while they evaluate your claim. They also provide free job search support and access to computers/printers/fax etc to send out resumes, as well as free training on topics like putting together your resume and interviewing.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 6:58am

Post #8 of 22 (313 views)
Shortcut
There are numerous organizations to help... [In reply to] Can't Post

...including both government programs and also civic & religious organizations. First and foremost, you need knowledgeable advice, from someone who knows what's available in your community. Start with a homeless shelter. There will be caseworkers there who can point you to the organizations that can help.

What destroyed your home? If it was a natural disaster, there should be relief agencies available to help. If it was fire and your insurance is balky, you need an expert on your side. I'd highly recommend consulting a lawyer who specializes in insurance cases. Often the first consultation is free, and if you have a case against your insurance and/or your homeowner's association, they may take it on a contingency basis (i.e., they get a percentage of your settlement if you win, nothing if they lose).

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 2 2014, 7:18am

Post #9 of 22 (313 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been homeless. I lived in a tent for two weeks in a National Forest in New Mexico. That's the maximum time they allow.

I went door to door asking people for work. I made a little bit cleaning up a rental trailer and then got part time jobs watching shops while their owners took off early. I learned that broke doesn't mean you disappear, you're just broke.
I got turned down for jobs because I was a woman. Laws don't mean anything if nobody enforces them.

If you have a car, Walmart will allow overnight camping. Food stamps are available on an emergency basis, but don't expect much.
Single individuals have it the worst. Habitat for Humanity wouldn't even talk to me, they are only for families.
Libraries are great for more than WiFi. Daily newspapers and books on finding employment are just a tiny bit of the resources there.

Labor Departments often offer free classes on getting a job, job listings and even day laborer positions.
If you are a veteran, go to the Veteran's Affairs office. They can help a lot.

Do take care and don't give up. PM me if you have any questions I can help with.
Good luck!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 7:39am

Post #10 of 22 (313 views)
Shortcut
One important question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have a job and income? You didn't mention this, but I get the impression re-reading your post that the real problem is your actual home being unlivable (and you're probably still on the hook for loan and association payments), not total lack of funding. Is that true?

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 1:56pm

Post #11 of 22 (307 views)
Shortcut
hi elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

right now i am lacking both a home to live in, and a job. i lost my job because of this mess. it was a new job, it started off great (they loved me), but as a consultant / contractor, i was easy to get rid of when the fallout from all of this started playing out.

i have a little bit of money, but it is not going to go far with mortgage payments / property taxes, association dues (with additional special assessments to pay for things -- $1400 in july -- because the insurance company has refused to pay one shilling up to this point), cobra health insurance, car insurance, gas, food, etc.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 2 2014, 1:58pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 2:11pm

Post #12 of 22 (307 views)
Shortcut
hi eruwestial : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi eruwestial : )

thank you for the very useful information (thank you very much). and +so sorry+ to hear you went through this as well. challenging does not begin to describe what you went through. are things better for you now? i dearly hope so.

i have a car, and i still have my parking spot at the townhouse complex. so if i lived in my car, i have a place to be. my concerns are night time temperatures (maybe too hot to sleep in, safely, during july / august?) and the neighbors noticing. but it +is+ on the list as an option.

i also have a postage-sized deck attached to the house. i've thought of sleeping on that (there's an overhang). probably illegal, since i'm not allowed to live +in+ my house (and the neighbor issue again), but it's also on the list and probably good for sleeping accommodations here and there (as long as i can keep it on the qt). if someone makes a fuss about sleeping +on+ my small deck, i could always sleep under it. and if someone makes a fuss about that, i could sling a hammock or something from under the deck (so i wouldn't be lying on ground owned in common by the association).

i've thought about homeless shelters, but am wary, because of the safety risks. in the summer, i'm more thinking about the above options, plus pitching a tent in the woods somewhere (thank you for the tip about national parks / forests).

recently, i was "interviewed" (had dinner in their home) by a family of strangers (never knew they even existed up until that point) who might be willing to take me in for a while. a couple of people in the family are students of my old voice teacher, and he just reached out to them. they liked me, and said they'd be in touch. so that's a maybe.

and (a couple of days ago) a friend and a family member spoke to one another and agreed (between the two of them) to host me for the next few months. and, not knowing this, i had asked a different friend, who said she could host me for two weeks. so i think i'm covered for the short term, re a roof over my head. but i have been very carefully surveying +all+ the possibilities.

i will be sure to PM you any questions! : ) thank you so much. : )

cheers (and many thanks) --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Annael
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 2:48pm

Post #13 of 22 (288 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to hear people have offered to "host" you [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to say, if you walked into the nearest Unitarian church & asked for help you'd be inundated with it in minutes. Don't have to belong or share their beliefs.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 22 (287 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug* A different time & different circumstances [In reply to] Can't Post

but yeah... my (then) husband (th), 1yo daughter and I were homeless for about a year... living out of a 1961 Ford Econoline van for most of it. Everything we owned was in there with us. Hippies (more or less) travelling the country. It was essentially self-inflicted when my th decided he wanted to be free. It's the not-knowing that makes it so bad. Not know when it would be over, how it would be resolved, where to get food... mostly money for food and gas... but it's also the time when I found The Lord of the Rings, and it became my refuge. Homeless hobbits just trying to finish the job and then to go home. The sense of losing a part of yourself makes it worse. But you'll grow, adapt, improvise and overcome... and you'll be surprised at how far you've gone.

It will end... the not-knowing. I promise. Little by little things will start falling into place and you'll begin to make peace with your life again. Your situation and these times like they are makes your situation so different than mine, but the emptiness is hard to push aside and to have faith that things will improve. They will :) And you'll be the stronger and more content because of this. You'll cherish what you rebuild.

Hang in there. I'm so sorry.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 2 2014, 5:37pm

Post #15 of 22 (277 views)
Shortcut
A major reason to go to a shelter... [In reply to] Can't Post

would be to make contact with a caseworker who can give you reliable advice as to what agencies or programs can help you. You don't have to stay there.

But a church (as Annael suggests) might also be able to put you in touch with the right agencies. You need legal advice, in addition to shelter, in order to resolve this.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 22 (279 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Peanut butter is your high calorie and protein friend, but best to take a multivitamin a day.

2. Black clothes are best, to hide dirt and grime, and to hide when you have to sleep in the park or, a better choice, nearby woods.

3. A small cheap bivy sack can help if you have to sleep out in the weather. Again, black is your color. Do NOT sleep outdoors in the same sack, sleeping bag, tent, etc. as your food. Carry a cord and hang the food in a nearby tree. There are not many bears in urban areas, but rats are abundant. (BTW, a drinking water bottle or two filled with hot water from a public tap can be heaven on a cold night.)
4. Hygiene is always a problem. Buy a cheap collapsible bucket and a non-breakable mirror. Fill up the bucket with hot water from a public bathroom sink, go into a stall, hang the mirror on the hook on the door, and brush teeth, shampoo hair, wash armpits, and, if you don’t mind wearing wet clothes, do laundry. (If nothing else, brush your teeth regularly.)

5. Travel light. And to prevent hassle from the police and other busybodies, carry your stuff in an opaque reusable grocery sack so people will just think you’ve been shopping.

6. Dollar stores are your friend. Cheap shampoo, peanut butter, multivitamins, cologne, deodorant, etc.

7. Develop a circle of crash pads. Friends won’t mind you crashing a night or two, but move on to another pad before they get permanently fed up. Rinse, repeat. Friends are also good as maildrops.

8. Libraries are good places for free internet, but try not to look or smell homeless or they’ll hassle you. If using WiFi, use a Virtual Private Network or VPN, like the free service Hotspot Shield, when entering passwords.

9. Recharge your phone whenever possible.

10. Keep your mind active. A lot of homeless turn to substance abuse because of boredom. (As opposed to those who are homeless because of substance abuse.) Speaking of which, avoid the homeless.

11. Try not to look homeless.

Hope this helps!

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 9:32pm

Post #17 of 22 (270 views)
Shortcut
In this situation I strongly do not recommend this. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could also consider joining the military, if your morals are ok with such a thing. It's guaranteed roof over your head and job security, and meals. It's definitely not for everyone though- so I would research it thoroughly (pray if you do) before you commit to anything like that.

My dad was in the military for three years and it did not go well. This does NOT work well for everyone and seems like a very extreme choice in these circumstances.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 2 2014, 9:34pm

Post #18 of 22 (263 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there someone in your family who you could stay with while you look for work? I know if i were ever in this situation that would be my first idea.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 3:37am

Post #19 of 22 (234 views)
Shortcut
I completely understand that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just trying to present all options that I knew of Wink

I was both an air force and army brat and my dad medically discharged, and my uncle is still in the Army, my other uncle retired from the navy, and my husband's uncle was marines and army, both retired, and my sister in law's fiance was former marine, and my friend is former army. The last two were also medically discharged after less than a year in the armed forces.

I completely understand that it's not for everyone to be sure, but that doesn't completely discount it as an option. That's why I said a LOT of thought (and prayer, if someone believes in that sort of thing) should be done, and all options considered, before someone would go this route. And I do NOT believe that the army is good for families, but as a single person it's not a bad way to go, if you are suited for such a thing and are physically capable of doing so.

Just trying to list all the options out there is all.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 4:26am

Post #20 of 22 (231 views)
Shortcut
The military is an excellent option for the right person. [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent 20 years on active duty. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but I'm glad I stuck it out, and I have medical care and some monthly retirement pay for the rest of my life.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 4 2014, 4:47am

Post #21 of 22 (201 views)
Shortcut
I know it works for some people but in this situation it seems very extreme! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of other options.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 5:35am

Post #22 of 22 (213 views)
Shortcut
A commitment, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But when you enlist, you get a choice of service (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard) and job opportunities, plus the opportunity for good training that can lead to a career. My son served in the Navy for 12 years, and it changed his life in many good ways,leading to a great career as an electronics technician at Texas Instruments (where he's been for 14 years).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.