The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: Gollum and the Precious

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 8:18pm

Post #1 of 6 (2444 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Gollum and the Precious Can't Post

Hi all and welcome to my week of SCOD Smile!

Here we are with Gollum having "obtained" (ewww TonguePirate) the Ring from Frodo, and he's lost in the rapture of regaining possession of the Precious:

Compare this to the scene of Sméagol holding the Ring for the first time:

Do you think Gollum is feeling the same thing he once felt as Sméagol at this moment?

Notice the camera angle - with Sméagol the Ring is small, with Gollum the Ring appears huge and encompasses his entire face. Do you think this has meaning?

Compare the scenes' background colors and tints in these two moments in Sméagol/Gollum's life. Any thoughts?

It's neat how Gollum was made to resemble Andy Serkis, isn't it Smile?

Thanks for stopping in to SCOD and feel free to share your comments!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 6 (2283 views)
Shortcut
“Yes! Yes! Precious! Precious! Precious! Precious!” [In reply to] Can't Post

The look on Gollum’s face! He’s overtaken by ecstasy, joy too great to describe. He is finally reunited with his Precious. Nothing can ruin his frenzied happiness, not even death.
Do you think Gollum is feeling the same thing he once felt as Sméagol at this moment?
Yes, I imagine, only magnified many times. “The sweetness of reunion is the joy of heaven.” (Richard Paul Evans, Lost December)
Notice the camera angle - with Sméagol the Ring is small, with Gollum the Ring appears huge and encompasses his entire face.
Great observation!
Do you think this has meaning?
Yes, I do believe so. The Ring has devoured Gollum, made him completely its own. Gollum has, totally and utterly, become its slave, its prisoner. He has lost himself entirely in the Ring.
Compare the scenes' background colors and tints in these two moments in Sméagol/Gollum's life. Any thoughts?
What a stark contrast! Life has left not only Sméagol/Gollum himself, but his surroundings as well. The lush green has been replaced with lifeless rocks and lava.
It's neat how Gollum was made to resemble Andy Serkis, isn't it?
Oh, yes! After all, Sméagol and Gollum are the one and the same, though nothing but a faint memory of the former remains in the latter.
Thank you for these fine questions and screencaps, Loresilme! Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 1 2014, 7:24pm

Post #3 of 6 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Very fitting quote [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I imagine, only magnified many times. “The sweetness of reunion is the joy of heaven.” (Richard Paul Evans, Lost December)

Thanks for finding that quote, BlackFox! I imagine also that it was like what he felt originally only a thousand times more intense.

In Reply To
Notice the camera angle - with Sméagol the Ring is small, with Gollum the Ring appears huge and encompasses his entire face.
Great observation!
Do you think this has meaning?
Yes, I do believe so. The Ring has devoured Gollum, made him completely its own. Gollum has, totally and utterly, become its slave, its prisoner. He has lost himself entirely in the Ring.

Well said! So sad...as if he's lost himself entirely in it, like nothing else exists.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 6:23pm

Post #4 of 6 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Ewww! [In reply to] Can't Post

First kiss versus consumation.

Notice the camera angle - with Sméagol the Ring is small, with Gollum the Ring appears huge and encompasses his entire face. Do you think this has meaning?

He's "bound by the ring" in more ways than several.

Nervous green first kiss versus red hot fiery consumation. I always think of Johnny Cash singing "I fell into a burning ring of fire".

It's neat how Gollum was made to resemble Andy Serkis, isn't it ?

More like the love child of Serkis and Elijah Wood.

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 11:17pm

Post #5 of 6 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Double ewww! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

First kiss versus consumation.

Compare the scenes' background colors and tints

Nervous green first kiss versus red hot fiery consumation

lol, I never looked at it ... that way Blush, but now that you mention it ... Shocked!!

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 12 2014, 12:02am

Post #6 of 6 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Creepy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Screencaps have an incredible life to them, even as stills. It's neat seeing them without the forward momentum of moving images, and gazing at them frozen in time.

Wow, juxtaposing these images is quite powerful. We're seeing the two extremes of an utter transformation of body and soul. The first image is the degradation of humanity. I feel that the Ring, here, is a mirror. Gollum sees himself transcendent of time, recovering the long years he had lost.

Great screencaps, Loresilme!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.