The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dis in the next movie?

~Medieval Soul
The Shire

Jun 30 2014, 2:41am

Post #1 of 21 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Dis in the next movie? Can't Post

I've always wanted Dis to be in the Hobbit movies, and I wondered why they excluded her. Since they bothered to put Kili's promise rune stone in the 2nd movie, do you think that Dis will appear at the end (like at Thorin, Fili, and Kili's funeral)? I'd so LOVE to see her!

But if she is going to be present, wouldn't we have any info about her like casting by now?

I really really hope so. Dis and Frerin seriously should have been AT LEAST shown standing by Thror's throne in the first movie. C'mon PJ, they're awesome!

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 3:31am

Post #2 of 21 (1202 views)
Shortcut
I would be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I'd LOVE to see Dis, in either scenario you present I highly doubt it (unless someone is shown at the end carrying the stone back to her).

There's no way she could be at the funeral- it would take her many, many months to get there, and with winter having started, I have a feeling all the mountain passes would be closed, and cause her journey to take even longer. Erebor is probably about two thousand miles from Ered Luin as the raven flies, and that does not count circumventing the Misty Mountains to get there. In a world where horses, in a wagon, or on foot are the only ways of land transportation, I would see it taking her at least six months to get there, and I highly doubt the funeral would be delayed that long. Where would they put the bodies in the meantime, especially as Erebor needs to be cleaned up? Seems too long to wait for one person to arrive, IMO. And that's only if the news reaches her right away- even a raven can't fly that far in a single day.

As to your second scenario, I could see Frerin standing by Thror's throne, but not Dis, and here's why. The dwarves are very secretive as a whole around other races, but especially with their women. When women go on a journey, they disguise themselves as men so that others cannot tell them apart. Dwarves are jealous with them too, as in all matters of their rights. And they most often remain in their mountain homes, which is why the future of dwarves as a race struggle when there are no permanent dwellings.

So no, in court with another race (elves especially) I do not see dwarves allowing their women to attend. In a dwarf court (say Nain at the time, father of Dain and lord of the Iron Hills, were to come for a diplomatic meeting or other such cause) maybe the full court, including the princess, would attend. MAYBE.

But in a court where other races attend? I highly doubt it.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2014, 10:23am

Post #3 of 21 (1058 views)
Shortcut
dis guise [In reply to] Can't Post

When women go on a journey, they disguise themselves as men so that others cannot tell them apart.

Sorry to be pedantic but I would word it slightly differently: Dwarf-women dress like Dwarf-men when on a journey [since apart from dress they already cannot be told apart from Dwarf-men by other races]. So yes, in that sense they are disguised, but Jackson has already unfollowed Tolkien here in that he cast women for female Dwarves.

Plus, just the subject title was worth it Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 2:08pm

Post #4 of 21 (1003 views)
Shortcut
The odds are low. [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt we will see Dis unless there is a flashback during Gandalf and Balin's later visit to Bag End to other Dwarves returning to Erebor from the Blue Mountains. Even then, it might be an uncredited role.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jun 30 2014, 6:41pm

Post #5 of 21 (927 views)
Shortcut
I doubt any such cameos. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when they have not mentioned Frerin or her - except once in the scene with Tauriel and Kili (which you have mentioned).

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 21 (916 views)
Shortcut
yes please [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 30 2014, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 21 (999 views)
Shortcut
I would love that ... but, I also think if they (esp. Dis) were to appear, it would be [In reply to] Can't Post

possibly in quick flashes in the prologue or quick flashes at the end of the movie. I like the idea of Kili's runestone being returned to her at the end of BOTFA.

I agree, they are awesome and they do deserve recognition. And Dis, having had her entire family annilated by the Dark Lord and being the only female Dwarf in all of Tolkien's works who has a name, definately deserves recognition, even if only to have her name mentioned (possible EE of DOS during Kili's and Tauriel's conversation in Thranduil's prison?). I have this nagging feeling that PJ has things coming up in BOTFA that will just blow most of us away. We should expect the unexpected! I believe .... I believe .... I believe....

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Jun 30 2014, 8:12pm)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 30 2014, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 21 (887 views)
Shortcut
If she is in the film then Thorin's kin could be shown treating his dragon sickness with Dis-Dain. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 11:29pm

Post #9 of 21 (891 views)
Shortcut
I did a one shot [In reply to] Can't Post

fan fiction piece on her loss Smile

It's posted in Fan Art:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Hope you enjoy! Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 1 2014, 2:12am

Post #10 of 21 (894 views)
Shortcut
Erm, okay [In reply to] Can't Post

the next movie is gonna stink.

ETA: Oh, Dis *in* the next movie... yes, that would be nice, why not?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 1 2014, 2:14am)

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 1 2014, 4:46pm

Post #11 of 21 (827 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for linking me up to your Laments of the Broken Hearted. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so well written and captures her pain to an extent I did not expect, it broke my heart. I also like that you write about her happier times, when her family was alive and happy and together. I tried to write something on Dis at one time, but it just did not work out, at all. That pretty much ended my writing career. I am not a talented writer. You are.

I read through some of the posts following your Laments of the Broken Hearted posting, and wonder about the other story you wanted to bring out. If you have posted it somewhere, could you link me up? And do not worry about the naysayers, they are everywhere you go in any site. I think we are relatively safe in this forum, and free to discuss the movies, etc., whether it is canonized or not.

I have always had a thing about Thorin and Dis. I am sure PJ will do something in Bo5A which will include Dis, even a mention of her name would make me happy, but I am hoping to get of glimpse of his vision of her.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Jul 1 2014, 4:49pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 1 2014, 6:17pm

Post #12 of 21 (817 views)
Shortcut
you're welcome :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Given what you'd said about Dis and the losses she'd suffered, I figured you would like it Smile

I will warn you- my other story explores a "what if" scenario and won't follow the canon of the hobbit, though I do try to combine elements of all the resources I have to make sure it's Tolkien's world I'm writing about and not a Disneyfied version of it, with movie verse thrown in as well. But if you wish to check it out, here's the link:

https://www.fanfiction.net/...Look-Beyond-the-Mask

It's not short by any means (if I liked short stories, I would not love Tolkien lol Tongue My Dis one-shot was for a contest that I sadly didn't win, but the ones that did were very deserving), and not anywhere near done yet, but if you would drop a review after you're all caught up, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it Smile

Fan fiction is a term that, on these boards, is often used with derision (and most often in regards to PJ's additions/subtractions to the movies from the book), which is why I'm a bit leery of posting it on here if it doesn't follow canon completely. But when part 1 is done (it is almost done) I will take a deep breath and post it on the fan art forum. We'll see Wink

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 3 2014, 12:22am

Post #13 of 21 (761 views)
Shortcut
I will look this up next week after the holiday weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are writing contests and writing forums here in TORn that you may be interested in. I don't think anyone is allowed to go in and make comments on them but you could always ask a forum administrator for advice and how the competition works. They are always very nice and positive. You may be interested in these.

And you know, PJ's movies may not be strictly "canon," but if they were, they would be boring in parts and we would probably all fall asleep before they ended. And what is so interesting about them, I think anyway, is that although The Hobbit may not be purely "canon," PJ pulls much of his stuff from The Appendices at the end of the LOTR, Unfinished Tales (my fave book!), and the Sil. It is neat to watch his movies and every so often think, "Oh my gosh, those scenes are pure Appendices, or taken directly from UT, etc." It is neat. So even though they may not be pure Hobbit, there is still much to be learned from them.

I understand you are leary about posting your story here if it is not pure "canon" and I do not blame you. Things can get a little sticky, for all of us. I just want you to never be discouraged about your writing though, no matter what.

Anyway, I'll contact you here sometime next week after I have done some reading. Have a great weekend.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 3:11am

Post #14 of 21 (752 views)
Shortcut
well said [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the introduction of other characters within the story that made me the most leery, but I posted a poll in the Pollantir asking if I should post it in the fan art forum, and was strongly encouraged to do so (in fact, no one said no Smile). So I did yesterday evening Smile

Have a great weekend to you too, and if you are in the US happy 4th of July! Laugh

I look forward to your thoughts on it (you can probably add them in the fan art forum, as we may have gone a bit off topic for this thread lol) or you can guest review through fan fiction Smile

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 3 2014, 6:52am

Post #15 of 21 (748 views)
Shortcut
PJ doesn't have the rights to the UT or Silmarillion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... So I doubt he'd be taking things directly from them.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 3 2014, 2:48pm

Post #16 of 21 (741 views)
Shortcut
I did not know that, thanks. No Oropher, then. Heavy sigh. [In reply to] Can't Post

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 3 2014, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 21 (744 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I did not know that, most definately the Appendices though. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that would leave out the possibility of getting a glimpse of Oropher, a very cool Elf.
Oops, did not mean to give a double reply, apologies.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Jul 3 2014, 2:54pm)

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 9:49pm

Post #18 of 21 (705 views)
Shortcut
Just read Chapter 1 of your story. Wow!, and I am not kidding when I say that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know how the reviews work, but wrote a small one and added it. Going to read a chapter every time I am in here (3 - 5 times a week), so it may take a while for me to finish it. It is interesting from the very start, the prologue is intriguing, and the story holds interest throughout. Very impressive.

Hey, have you seen the DOS tapestry? I believe it is on page 4 of the Hobbit movie main page. It is so cool, Thorin, Frerin and Dis are all on it but you could not see this in the movie because Bard covered the images of Frerin and Dis with his hand. I think this implies that Dis will be either in DOS EE or BO5A. If you have not seen it, you should check it out.

Will let you know with a small review when I have read more of your story.

Please, call me Ve.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 17 2014, 10:59pm

Post #19 of 21 (702 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I replied to your guest review via an author's note under my next chapter (it isn't written yet- I've been very busy in real life of late, with garden produce starting to come in and needing to can and freeze stuff) and you can see it when you read ch 101, whenever that will be.... Wink

Thanks for the positive comments- I wasn't sure how tornsibs would take it, but so far so good it seems Smile

I did, and I briefly-only for the tiniest second- saw that Dis and Frerin's blocks were on there too Smile I doubt we'd see her in the movies, simply because geographically she's so, so far away from where the story is being centered, though I'd LOVE to see her.

For me, the Dis in the movie is the brown haired female dwarf refugee following Thorin in the AUJ prologue right as he stands and holds his arm out toward a mountain range when he's standing on a big rock in the ragged clothing. You only see the back of her head in a glimpse, but in a production vlog or production pic (can't remember which- pretty sure it was one of the vlogs) you see a picture and can tell its a female dwarf, and the only female dwarf following Thorin in that small party Wink

So even if she remains unnamed/uncredited in the movie, my head canon tells me that's Dis, just like the golden haired elf with a circlet following Elrond on the horses in Rivendell is Glorfindel, and the two younger brown haired elves are Elladan and Elrohir, respectively. Whether they're mentioned or not, I like the idea that they were unnamed roles but still present Cool

Looking forward to more of your insight as you progress through the story! Laugh

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 11:45pm

Post #20 of 21 (699 views)
Shortcut
Your story truly is good. The prologue will haunt me, and the appearance of [In reply to] Can't Post

the young female dwarf intrigues me.

I did not know that it was a female Dwarf who was following Thorin in that scene until I saw one of your posts somewhere a while back. I have watched AUJ since then, but it is hard to see (at least on my T.V.). It must be Dis, this is the only possible explanation.

Please, call me Ve.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 4:29pm

Post #21 of 21 (702 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you talking about the young female dwarf in my story, or the movie? Because in the story she's actually a human, not a dwarf Wink

In the movie, you only see the back of her head. You don't see that she's a female until you watch the vlogs and see her face/front Wink I think she's the third dwarf following Thorin, IIRC, in the movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.