The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
A late Screencaps of the Day

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 5:57pm

Post #1 of 6 (614 views)
Shortcut
A late Screencaps of the Day Can't Post

Apologies screencappers! It was my week to post and I completely failed in my duties. So let's get a couple of discussions going in this thread.

The full-sized image for this 'cap can be found HERE.

1. Did you have the same reaction Pippin did when he spotted the Eagles?

2.Only five of them? Would that have been enough?

3. What's your favorite explanation for why they didn't take the Eagles to Mt. Doom?

The full-sized image for this 'cap can be found HERE.

1. This is the moment before Frodo puts the Ring on. What kind of emotions do you see in Sam's face?

2. Did Frodo claiming the Ring come as a surprise to you (either during the movie or while reading the book)?

3. Did Sam have any choice but to stand there and watch Frodo claim the Ring?

4. Any other thoughts or comments about the above screencaps?

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 7:47pm

Post #2 of 6 (450 views)
Shortcut
“Eagles! The Eagles are coming!” [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much. I surely wasn’t expecting it (I’m a movie-firster). It remains one of those moments that still give me goose bumps.
2. Only five of them? Would that have been enough?
Hmm… I guess will never know for sure, but I believe they would have managed to dismount the majority, if not all of the Nazgûl.
3. What's your favorite explanation for why they didn't take the Eagles to Mt. Doom?
http://i.stack.imgur.com/GweeZ.jpg Laugh

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 7:51pm

Post #3 of 6 (486 views)
Shortcut
Shock and despair [In reply to] Can't Post

1. This is the moment before Frodo puts the Ring on. What kind of emotions do you see in Sam's face?
Exhaustion, utter sadness, and despair. They came so far, only to be defeated by the Ring at the very last moment. Such a painful and bitter moment.
2. Did Frodo claiming the Ring come as a surprise to you (either during the movie or while reading the book)?
Yes and no. I feared it might happen when I saw him stand there on the ledge, but it still came as a bit of a shock when he actually did it; I was so badly hoping I was wrong.
Could he have tried to stop Frodo? Hmm… The sense of duty vs his love for his friend. He’d gone for the latter, I imagine. But would he have been able to try to “save Frodo from himself”, even at the cost of harming him, hadn’t Gollum intervened? I don’t know.
Thank you for these lovely screencaps, AD! Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jun 29 2014, 8:04pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 30 2014, 2:37am

Post #4 of 6 (450 views)
Shortcut
Sam and the Eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Eagles

I don't believe so... I remember thinking, "oi is that line going to get misinterpreted."

2.Only five of them? Would that have been enough?

With a battle formation such as that, five is more than enough.

For the same reason we do not use fighter jets as taxis -- it would have been an abuse of public trust.

Sam:

Tired, so tired. And his heart seems to be breaking.

Yes. But it shouldn't have.

He was there to help his friend, not to destroy the Ring himself. I'm guessing he felt he wouldn't have been able to destroy it either, therefore it was no use trying to take it from Frodo. Nor could he conceive of destroying Frodo along with the Ring by pushing Frodo into "the fiery chasm from whence it came."*

So theoretically he had a choice, as we all do, but not a real choice, apart from to stand there as you say.

The Eagles are cool but I didn't like Pippin's line. I can't recall just now, but did Pippin have any direct experience of their prowess? I suppose we can assume that he had heard stories, but they were still vastly out-numbered by the Forces of Mordor (as your second question implies).

Sam looks so drawn out and at his wits end... Sean Astin was living that moment, no doubt.

Thanks AD!

*said in an ominous voice

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 6:13pm

Post #5 of 6 (385 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the barrel roll! I bet that was Gwaihir’s baby brother Landroval! What a show-off!

2. Only five of them? Would that have been enough?

Enough for what? If you’re talking Nazgul nailing Gwaihir could have done it with one wing pinioned behind his back!

Too much pie.

It’s like he always knew this was going to happen, but now is when he lost that last shred of hope.

Sure. The hero is supposed to succeed, not fail. But then I got into the German expressionism of the twenties and the French poetic realism of the thirties and I realized where Tolkien was coming from.

I suppose he could have sat down and looked the other way, but this is a “Dramatic Moment”. Besides, when else is he going to see his dear Frodo all covered in gold body paint?

It doesn't really matter what either the eagles or Sam does. Gollum is the one who will decide the fate of Middle-earth now.

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
-Robert Wilensky

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 2 2014, 10:38pm

Post #6 of 6 (428 views)
Shortcut
< Don't you see the resemblance? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved the barrel roll! I bet that was Gwaihir’s baby brother Landroval! What a show-off!

That's clearly Meneldor. Cool

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.