TommyTuneFull & G-Girl
in the OldForest...

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 2:39am

Post #2 of 23 (407 views)
Shortcut
Only three actually [In reply to] Can't Post

W. all the images I mess with, for some reason I don't switch out my backgrounds that much.
Well, let's face it, my computer is crammed w. duplicate images and all kinds of stuff, so I'm not one of those ORGANIZED users.

Hmm - the AUJ banner, an image from a game (the one w. Gandalf, Thorin, and Legolas) and then the DOS banner.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 29 2014, 2:45am

Post #3 of 23 (390 views)
Shortcut
a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I currently have 48 Hobbit screenshots that my desktop cycles between every couple hours.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:07am

Post #4 of 23 (379 views)
Shortcut
i never really had desktop images [In reply to] Can't Post

i never really had desktop images, until last year, when i made my desktop a screenshot of the hobbit (dwalin sitting at bilbo's kitchen table, just as bilbo hears another knock at the door).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 29 2014, 3:22am

Post #5 of 23 (368 views)
Shortcut
I change backgrounds a few times a year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides that, I use multiple computers with differing backgrounds (depending on if I am logged in as myself or someone else even).

I got in a habit of reorganizing / redecorating the desktops at the end of each semester ... still kind of in that habit ...

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 5:23am

Post #6 of 23 (348 views)
Shortcut
Had the AUJ banner back when it was two films [In reply to] Can't Post

but had a lot of trouble not elongating the characters ridiculously much, and for some OCD reason that I cannot name, I HATE seeing backgrounds with borders (aka not full screen) and unfortunately most pictures I've found as of yet aren't exact to the dimensions so they get distorted.

I always have my internet, or my fan fiction in word, or my excel cash flow plan spreadsheet, etc open, so while my background is ME inspired (a lovely picture of a lovely yet foreboding snowcapped dark mountain in front of a sunset- it reminded me of the Misty Mountains and I thought it was very pretty and yet mysterious and ominous at the same time Smile) I can't say that I've had actual ME movie pics on my desktop background much.

I did have a beautifully rendered picture of an artist's rendition of Fili and Kili's deaths on there at one point though. Here's the deviant art link (it really was very well done):

http://www.deviantart.com/...ive-Armies-345449925

I had it as my footer on here for a while as well, but realized it might yield spoilers to non-book readers, so switched it to the current one Smile

I would LOVE to have more pictures like this that rotate on my background- can any computer savvy people help me figure out how to do this? I have a windows 7 PC.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 5:41am

Post #7 of 23 (342 views)
Shortcut
lots [In reply to] Can't Post

I did up a bunch when I was in school for graphic design. And I downloaded some from the official LOTR site. All of those were sized for my old CRT monitor and I haven't redone them to fit my new wide one.

I did download a few Hobbit ones before the movies came out. And converted some screenshots into wallpapers. But many of them have gotten 'old' and I've discontinued using a number of them.

I use the desktop wallpaper slideshow feature for Windows 7. So my wallpapers change every hour. At the moment, I'm very partial to nature and cultural images. I've gotten a few from National Geographic. I have a few from movies/shows, as well: Book of Kells, Brave, Avatar, and Doctor Who.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 5:54am

Post #8 of 23 (345 views)
Shortcut
To set up a rotating background [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm on Windows 8.1, but I don't think the steps have changed since Win7:

1. Right click from the desktop and select Personalize
2. Click on Desktop Background
3. Check the Picture Location drop down to see if you can just select the folder with the relevant photos in it; if not, click on Browse and navigate to the folder
4. Under Change Picture every: select how often you want the photos to rotate.
5. Click Save Changes, then close out of the window

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 6:00am

Post #9 of 23 (335 views)
Shortcut
thanks Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 11:02am

Post #10 of 23 (312 views)
Shortcut
About 10 years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I had Shadowfax on my Mac desktop.

On my next Mac I had some natural history shots.

Now I stick with the standard Mac background that is provided with the computer – it is of a galaxy, probably the Milky Way, and I really like it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 11:34am

Post #11 of 23 (308 views)
Shortcut
One [In reply to] Can't Post

This, before DOS came out. I usually prefer nature shots as backgrounds, often very middle-earthy, though. My current background, for example: http://i2.minus.com/inP1gf2IcqKK4.jpg.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jun 29 2014, 11:35am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 11:46am

Post #12 of 23 (296 views)
Shortcut
Kim, & (Magpie)...You(two) are the Best! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would take a Geek from Seatlle?
AND a BeautifulBirder from "Minnd-DA-Sotaa"

To explain sumtin' Bomby wanted? but did
NOT know how to do it.

Rotating "Live Wallpapers" WayKwell

Thang you berry Buch.

"bomby, @ your SERVICE"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 11:59am

Post #13 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
Moosie...does this tip mean we could rotate out our "Avatar pix" here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Maggie does...without re-writing some CODE?

PipeDream has a Animated gif of a pipe being smoked?

Bomby would Love animate my One Ring inscription
BUT, toHave it Transform
might be TOO Distracting though?

WOWIE everyone's PIX could be "LIVE"

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 3:20pm

Post #14 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
rotating an avatar is just changing it every so many days [In reply to] Can't Post

I go into my profile every 5-10 days and physically change it.

Animated gifs are images that appear to move. I had the ability with my old Photoshop to do this but I haven't figured out how with my new Photoshop. (the old one flipped to a product that is no longer included)

The problem I have with animated gifs is controlling the 'weight' of the image. It can't be over about 45 kb and my animated gifs tend to be larger.

But I'm not skilled at all in the craft and others who are may be able to figure out how to do it.

I think I can comfortably safe in saying that creating animated gifs are beyond the capability of most of our casual posters here although I wouldn't be surprised to find a handful of our members know how to do it.

So one would either need to find an animated gif on the web that suits one's taste and meets the guidelines for size here on these forums... or one would need to solicit help in creating a custom animated gif from someone who is talented and has the right software.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 3:23pm

Post #15 of 23 (271 views)
Shortcut
additional tip [In reply to] Can't Post

With the old software I used for Windows XP, I had to physically remove any image from the folder that I no longer wished to see.

But with the Windows 7 system (and I presume 8), one can open up the interface as you describe and navigate so you can see the folder full of images, and then check or uncheck images you want to take out of rotation.

One could have a bunch of seasonal images in there, for example, and active/deactivate them as appropriate. Or I just got tired of this giant Erte image I had and I just deactivated it.

You can also set a folder of images to rotate as your screen saver using the same interface as Kim describes.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 3:26pm

Post #16 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
back in the day... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was crazy mad for LOTR... I set my system sounds to be LOTR movie quotes.

So when the computer turned on it said, "Welcome to Rivendell" and when I turned it off it said, "Namarie". When I threw something in the trash it said, "My precious". I had a clip for pretty much every sound.

That got old real quick!

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 29 2014, 3:26pm)

acheron
Gondor

Jun 29 2014, 7:36pm

Post #17 of 23 (270 views)
Shortcut
In olden times [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in the 90s, my desktop was often a John Howe painting. The Balrog, or Gandalf at Bag End, or Sam and Shelob, etc.

I don't remember having Middle-earth backgrounds since I went to college in 2000 though, so never any movie-related ones.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Remus
Lorien

Jun 29 2014, 10:58pm

Post #18 of 23 (253 views)
Shortcut
Where to find good LOTR/Hobbit wallpapers?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I google the lord of the rings wallpapers 1920x1200 and find only bad ones... Frown

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 23 (251 views)
Shortcut
there are two ways to google by size [In reply to] Can't Post

One is to put the size in the search parameters.

So maybe you google : Hobbit wallpaper 1920x1200

the other way it so use "Search tools"

So, do a google image search for : Hobbit wallpaper
(to be clear, you are specifically searching in "Images" so all your results will be images)

When you get the results, look for a link toward the top that says, "Search tools"

Click that and a tool bar lowers down. One link on that tool bar is "Size"

Click that and choose "exactly" then enter the dimensions you want. In your case, 1920 x 1200

Then all your results will be exactly that size. If you haven't tried that, I think you'll like the results better.

Here is what I get when I follow those steps.

Once you've looked at these results, you can go to the field at the top that shows the words : hobbit wallpaper.

change it up to : lord of the rings wallpaper
or to : Tolkien wallpaper

try multiple words in quotes or without quotes : "lord of the rings" or... lord of the rings

try putting in a character name.

try taking out the word 'wallpaper'

See if that helps.

Farficom
Rivendell

Jun 30 2014, 1:07am

Post #20 of 23 (241 views)
Shortcut
You know. [In reply to] Can't Post

My desktop pc has always had the same old blue background with a few faint little clouds, but over the years my PS3's background has changed quite a bit. I have 100's of Hobbity/ Middle-earth related pictures to choose from, and that shall never change.

Remus
Lorien

Jun 30 2014, 8:48am

Post #21 of 23 (237 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew about those things but somehow i couldn't find a nice wallpaper. Now i took a with Gandalf standing outside Bilbos house. Smile

That will do for the meantime. Smile

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 9:41pm

Post #22 of 23 (224 views)
Shortcut
I think just the TORn Map. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

nandorin elf
Bree

Jul 3 2014, 2:41am

Post #23 of 23 (213 views)
Shortcut
I've lost count, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been dozens. My most recent was a lovely sketch of Maglor, Maedhros, Elrond and Elros that I found on deviantart. I also had one of Bilbo and the Company first entering Rivendell for the first time. I kept that one for about six months.
When I was younger, I used to change my desktop every few weeks and they were always LOTR related.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.