Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets out keys, unlocks door* Come on in - it's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2014, 6:19pm

Post #76 of 82 (79 views)
Shortcut
*gets out scoop* You need an extra-large helping [In reply to] Can't Post

to give you the energy to finish the packing and make sure you've got everything! Laugh

May your flights be uneventful and your luggage arrive with you, and of course we all expect a full report of your "Expected Adventure"! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 6:56pm

Post #77 of 82 (75 views)
Shortcut
Too much ice cream is never a problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finishing everything tonight (I hope! Angelic) and quadruple checking myself in the morning.

Thanks, dernwyn! Can't wait to report back to everyone. Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 8:56pm

Post #78 of 82 (75 views)
Shortcut
I try to get real stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't use a lot of syrups anyway, and try to get foods as natural as possible. A good way to do that is to avoid processed foods and only get things that are either made with natural ingredients (like the butter I get from Costco only has two ingredients- salt and sweet cream, as butter should).

So I get real maple syrup, I use real butter in place of oils in cooking (I would like to use olive oil, but never could adapt to the strong taste of it, so I usually just boil my meat in water and drain it then dry season it and rarely use oils in cooking). I get whole or frozen fruits and veggies (or eat canned ones I made myself), I bake all my grains from 100 percent whole wheat flour (only ingredient is hard red wheat). I eat oatmeal with plain oats, and just add brown sugar and fruit to it myself. I have milled flaxseed, and will add that too, and watch the ingredients on that as well. I get dry black beans and cook them in the crock pot, rather than buying canned (it's also much cheaper that way). I make my own ranch dip from Daisy natural sour cream and spices, and I use the crock pot overnight to make my own soup broth using chicken breasts and carrots and a garlic clove and dried basil and some salt and chopped celery.

So basically I'm eating a "farm fresh" diet- whole foods, natural foods, as close to their source as I can get without actually having a farm yet (and I'm growing a vegetable garden this year, planted three fruit trees, and have a productive strawberry patch, and have full intent to plant a lot more next year once some raised beds have been built and filled in). And while we may need to spray our fruit trees (apple maggots are rampant here) we don't spray our strawberries so they're fully organic Smile And I haven't sprayed my garden- so far, haven't had the need to. If I have aphid problems, I will just get some ladybugs Wink

So additives and artificial colorings and preservatives I tend to avoid as much as I can Wink And all my grains are whole grain.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 10:07pm

Post #79 of 82 (73 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

about your kitty. I'm glad the memories will be good ones, though.Evil

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 9:11pm

Post #80 of 82 (57 views)
Shortcut
Thanks dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I was the one going back and forth to the vet so it fell to me to make the call. A few months ago, someone was talking about the significance of cardinals. When I came out of the vets office with Freddy in my arms, there were a pair of cardinals, male and female, setting on the fence. I'm convinced they were my grandparents, welcoming him to heaven (As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't be heaven without cats.) Grandma is making him cream tuna fish and Grandpa is sitting on his porch chair grinning and watching him chase the birds. Smile

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2014, 9:25pm

Post #81 of 82 (56 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ethel Duath [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, very good memories. When we went to find a cat at the animal shelter, my family (myself and 4 young children) walked into the cat room and the commotion made most of the cats retreat to the back of the cages. My youngest was 2 years old and my older son was very curious and impulsive, my two girls were so excited about finally getting a pet they were chattering loudly. We were pretty overwhelming, I'm guessing. Of the 20 cages, only one cat remained at the front - Fred. My son put his fingers in the cage and Fred rubbed up against them as if he had found his lost friend. It's my belief he had. We took Fred and his sister Ginger home the next day and we've had almost 13 wonderful years with them.

Now it's just Ginger but she's seems to be coping fairly well. She and Fred hadn't been spending much time together since he got sick. I think she didn't like the way he smelled. It wasn't her Freddy anymore. She has stayed close though lately and that's been a blessing for me. I miss having a cat on my feet when I lay on the couch.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2014, 3:12pm

Post #82 of 82 (57 views)
Shortcut
Happy Canada Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

To all my neighbors to the north, have a safe and fun holiday!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.