DOS Chapter of the Week: The Elven-Gate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 12:06pm

Post #26 of 27 (3535 views)
Shortcut
Once you've tasted British weather [In reply to] Can't Post

you either never go back, or you never come back, depending. I know that some Brits, having moved to sunny climes, like Australia/California, start pining for rainy, damp, unpredictable summers.

Also it keeps us fit - putting the washing out on an apparently lovely sunny morning, then rushing out to take it back in again half an hour later.

I think Californian film-makers might be able to depict it, on the surface, but they might not have the feel for it.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 6:22pm

Post #27 of 27 (3545 views)
Shortcut
that's a humorous mental image [In reply to] Can't Post

of frantically trying to take all the washing down before it gets drenched lol Wink

They probably wouldn't have had the feel for it, I agree with you there- not unless they're from GB.

I don't miss California weather at ALL, and if I'd had my choice I never would have left this area (I was born about forty five miles away from here, but moved to Cali when I was five). I like where I am now- two hours drive away from Canada in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains Smile We get all 4 seasons here, and it isn't cloyingly humid (in fact, it's pretty dry here- which is nice because we don't get mold very badly unless there's a pipe leak). I've lived all over the western US, and this is by far my favorite- decent weather, very few and very mild natural disasters (just thunderstorms and the occasional blizzard or wind storm- but not bad), and it's very affordable and spacious. And there's tons of outdoor things to do, as we're very close to the wilderness. So it's also very spacious and not overcrowded Smile

I don't blame the Brits for pining for the damp, cooler summers in southern California- it gets freaking HOT down there! And unlike here, where the soil is porous so we have a great aquifer and are never lacking for water even if rainfall would indicate mild drought, down there there are mudslides and the soil is clay, not porous, so nothing is stored and they have a drought pretty much every summer, along with water use restrictions. You pretty much can't survive summers down there without a pool and air conditioning. At least here, the ac is sufficient, and there are lakes and rivers a plenty to swim in, and no water restrictions Wink And it's not quite as hot, nor is it as hot as long for sure!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.