grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 9:48am

Post #1 of 10 (824 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 27 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 27, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time has come for Gandalf to leave.
(not from the appendices)
..."Then one evening, at the end of June, soon after Frodo's plan had been finally arranged, he suddenly announced that he was going off again next morning. 'Only for a short while, I hope... ...But I am going down beyond the southern borders to get some news, if I can. I have been idle longer than I should.'
...He spoke lightly, but it seemed to Frodo that he looked rather worried. 'Has anything happened...?'
...'...Well no; but I have heard something that has made me anxious and needs looking into. If I think it necessary after all for you to get off at once, I shall come back immediately, or at least send word. In the meanwhile stick to your plan; but be more careful than ever, especially of the Ring. Let me impress on you once more: don't use it!''"

June 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Minas Tirith.
..."So the glad days passed; and the Riders of Rohan made ready, and rode away by the North-way; and it was lined with people to do them honour and praise them, from the Gate of the City to the walls of the Pelennor.... ...but in the City there was labour of many willing hands to rebuild and renew and to remove all the scars of war and the memory of the darkness.
...The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved... ...In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2014, 11:44am

Post #2 of 10 (759 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Expect me when you see me.
(not from the appendices + no text drabble)
..."He went off at dawn. 'I may be back any day,' he said. 'At the very latest I shall come back for the farewell party. I think, after all, you may need my company on the Road.'
...At first Frodo was a good deal disturbed, and wondered often what Gandalf could have heard…"

...Soon afterwards, Sam came to work in the gardens. Frodo joined him, tilling around the potatoes and enjoying the summer's routines. They worked silently until Sam asked about Gandalf.
..."He left early this morning," said Frodo. Sam continued working deep in thought.
..."What d'you suppose he heard that made him go off so all of a sudden?" he asked. "I was thinking he'd be with us when…" he broke off, looking around before whispering, "…we're off into the wilds outside."
..."He said he'd be back by then, Sam. Don't worry," Frodo said reassuringly; but he couldn't shake his own concern.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2014, 12:08pm

Post #3 of 10 (739 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 29, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo, Gandalf and the Dwarves reach the end of their stay in Rivendell.
(determined from text)
..."'hey stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever—even supposing a wish could have taken him right back to his hobbit-hole without trouble....
......The master of the house was an elf-friend... ...He comes into many tales, but his part in the story of Bilbo's great adventure is only a small one, though important... ...His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley....
......All of them, the ponies as well, grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers and their hopes. Their bags were filled with food and provisions light to carry but strong to bring them over the mountain passes. Their plans were improved with the best advice.""

June 29, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. A host from the North approaches the Pelennor.
..."...messengers came from Amon Dîn to the City, and they said that there was a riding of fair folk out of the North, and they drew near now to the walls of the Pelennor. And the King said; 'At last they have come. Let all the City be made ready!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2014, 9:35am

Post #4 of 10 (762 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

I Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and Company prepare to leave the Last Homely House.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
The Hobbit
..."So the time came to midsummer eve, and they were to go on again with the early sun on midsummer morning.
...Elrond knew all about runes of every kind. That day he looked at the swords they had brought from the trolls' lair... "...These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and goblins destroyed that city many ages ago. This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver in the ancient tongue of Gondolin… …This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!"
..."Whence did the trolls get them, I wonder?" said Thorin looking at his sword with new interest.
..."I could not say," said Elrond, "but one may guess that your trolls had plundered other plunderers, or come on the remnants of old robberies in some hold in the mountains of the North. I have heard that there are still forgotten treasures of old to be found in the deserted caverns of the mines of Moria, since the dwarf and goblin war...."
..."...I will keep this sword in honour," [Thorin] said. "May it soon cleave goblins once again!"
..."A wish that is likely to be granted soon enough in the mountains!" said Elrond. "But show me now your map!""
..."He took it and gazed long at it, and he shook his head for if he did not altogether approve of dwarves and their love of gold, he hated the dragons and their cruel wickedness… …he grieved to remember the ruin of the town of Dale and its merry bells, and the burned banks of the bright River Running. The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. He held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here, beside the plain runes which say 'five feet high the door and three may walk abreast.'"
..."What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps... ...and he also liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.
..."Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them," said Elrond, "not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and… …with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written. The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens... ...These must have been written on a midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago."
..."What do they say?" asked Gandalf and Thorin together, a bit vexed perhaps that even Elrond should have found this out first, though really there had not been a chance before, and there would not have been another until goodness knows when.
..."Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks… …and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole."
..."Durin, Durin!" said Thorin. "He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir."
..."Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.
..."The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much... ...for it passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again."
..."That remains to be seen," said Gandalf. "Is there any more writing?"
..."None to be seen by this moon," said Elrond, and he gave the map back to Thorin; and then they went down to the water to see the elves dance and sing upon the midsummer's eve."

I Lithe, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Arwen comes to the City.
(from the appendices)
..."Upon the very Eve of Midsummer, when the sky was blue as sapphire and white stars opened in the East, but the West was still golden, and the air was cool and fragrant, the riders came down the North-way to the gates of Minas Tirith. First rode Elrohir and Elladan with a banner of silver... ...then came Glorfindel and Erestor and all the household of Rivendell, and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlórien… …and with them many fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearing the sceptre of Annúminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people."
..."And Frodo when he saw her come glimmering in the evening, with stars on her brow and a sweet fragrance about her, was moved with great wonder… …he said to Gandalf: 'At last I understand why we have waited! This is the ending. Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2014, 8:59am

Post #5 of 10 (842 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 1 Midsummer's Day [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Midsummer's Day, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
Lithe : Mid-year's Day
1. Gandalf, Thorin, the Dwarves and their Burglar leave Rivendell for the Lonely Mountain.
..."The next morning was a midsummer's morning as fair and fresh as could be dreamed: blue sky and never a cloud, and the sun dancing on the water… …they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure, and with a knowledge of the road they must follow over the Misty Mountains to the land beyond."

Midsummer's Day, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen – A promise is born.
(from the appendices)
..."...for a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlórien, until it was time for him to depart. And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth... ...and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.
...'And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."
...'But Aragorn answered: "Alas! I cannot foresee it... ...Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce."
...'And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said: "I will cleave to you, Dúnadan, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the land of my people and the long home of all my kin."'"

Midsummer's Day, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf meets Radagast the Brown.
(from the appendices)
..."'At the end of June I was in the Shire, but a cloud of anxiety was on my mind, and I rode to the southern borders of the little land. I had a foreboding of some danger, still hidden from me but drawing near. There messages reached me telling me of war and defeat in Gondor, and when I heard of the Black Shadow a chill smote my heart. But I found nothing save a few fugitives from the South; yet it seemed to me that on them sat a fear of which they would not speak. I...journeyed along the Greenway; and not far from Bree I came upon a traveller sitting on a bank beside the road... ...It was Radagast the Brown... ...He is one of my order, but I had not seen him for many a year.
...'"Gandalf!" he cried. "I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire."
...'"Your information was correct... ...But do not put it that way, if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are near the borders of the Shire now. And what do you want with me? It must be pressing. You were never a traveller, unless driven by great need."
...'"I have an urgent errand... ...My news is evil." Then he looked about him, as if the hedges might have ears. "Nazgûl," he whispered. "The Nine are abroad again. They have crossed the River secretly and are moving westward. They have taken the guise of riders in black."
...'I knew then what I had dreaded without knowing it.
..."'The Enemy must have some great need or purpose," said Radagast; "but what it is that makes him look to these distant and desolate parts, I cannot guess."
..."'What do you mean?" said I.
...'"I have been told that wherever they go the Riders ask for news of a land called Shire."
...'"THE Shire," I said; but my heart sank. For even the Wise might fear to withstand the Nine, when they are gathered together under their fell chieftain. A great king and sorcerer ... ...he wields a deadly fear. "Who told you, and who sent you...?"
...'"...Saruman the White," answered Radagast. "And he told me to say that if you feel the need, he will help; but you must seek his aid at once, or it will be too late."
...'And that message brought me hope. For Saruman the White is the greatest of my order... ...has long studied the arts of the Enemy himself... ...It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine.
...'"I will go to Saruman," I said.
...'"Then you must go now," said Radagast; "for I have wasted time in looking for you, and the days are running short. I was told to find you before Midsummer, and that is now here. Even if you set out from this spot, you will hardly reach him before the Nine discover the land that they seek. I myself shall turn back at once." And with that he mounted and would have ridden straight off.
...'"Stay a moment!" I said. "We shall need your help... ...Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
...'"I will do that," he said, and rode off as if the Nine were after him.'"

Midsummer's Day, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Wedding of Elessar and Arwen
(from the appendices)
..."...Then the King welcomed his guests, and they alighted; and Elrond surrendered the sceptre, and laid the hand of his daughter in the hand of the King, and together they went up into the High City... ...Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfillment."

Midsummer's Day, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo resigns office of mayor, and Will Whitfoot is restored.
(from the appendices)
..."If Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself; for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care. When the labours of repair had all been planned and set going he took to a quiet life, writing a great deal and going through all his notes. He resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets."

Midsummer's Day, 3082 (S.R. 1482)
1. The death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day.
(from the appendices-no text)
...And in the full tale of days, Sam is again parted from one he loves. With a deep sense of fulfillment and understanding beyond words, in his grief he finds comfort and waits for a day foretold.

**With homage to Rosie and Sam with our Kimi's wonderful Passing of Mistress Rose

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 2 2014, 9:47am

Post #6 of 10 (697 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

2 Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Company climb from the Valley up the Mountain.
..."There were many paths that led up into those mountains, and many passes over them. But most of the paths were cheats and deceptions and led nowhere or to bad ends; and most of the passes were infested by evil things and dreadful dangers. The dwarves and the hobbit, helped by the wise advice of Elrond and the knowledge and memory of Gandalf, took the right pass."

2 Lithe, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf after Radagast departs and before leaving for Isengard.
..."'I stayed the night in Bree, and decided that I had no time to return to the Shire. Never did I make a greater mistake! 'However, I wrote a message to Frodo, and trusted to my friend the innkeeper to send it to him.
...'I rode away at dawn...'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 1:02am

Post #7 of 10 (694 views)
Shortcut
The Passing of Mistress Rose [In reply to] Can't Post

should be compulsory reading. Superb !

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2014, 11:59am

Post #8 of 10 (692 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

3 Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company continues the climb from the Valley up the Mountain.
...While the Company plods along and the U.S. perches on the eve of Independence Day (4th of July) celebrations, let's talk about what the Shire's Midsummer activities are like? They celebrate with banquets, official ceremonies, weddings, a Free Fair, bonfires, and in the old days... fireworks! Here are some Book Spoilers and a few clues along with the references from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It gives us another perspective of the grandeur of Bilbo's birthday party.

[from Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit] "Then suddenly goblins came running up yelling.... ...Some stacked fern and brushwood round the tree-trunks... ...Smoke was in Bilbo's eyes, he could feel the heat of the flames; and through the reek he could see the goblins dancing round and round in a circle like people round a midsummer bonfire."

[from The Grey Havens: Return of the King] "[Frodo] resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets."

[from An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit] ""Gandalf, Gandalf! Good gracious me! ...Not the man that used to make such particularly excellent fireworks! I remember those! Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Even. Splendid! They used to go up like great lilies and snapdragons and laburnums of fire and hang in the twilight all evening!" You will notice already that Mr. Baggins was not quite so prosy as he liked to believe, also that he was very fond of flowers. "Dear me!""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 10:00am

Post #9 of 10 (692 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 4, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith.
(from the appendices)
[Boromir speaking to the Council of Elrond] "'...a dream came to my brother in a troubled sleep; and afterwards a like dream came oft to him again, and once to me.
..."'In that dream I thought the eastern sky grew dark and there was a growing thunder, but in the West a pale light lingered, and out of it I heard a voice, remote but clear, crying:

Seek for the Sword that was broken:

In Imladris it dwells;

There shall be counsel taken

Stronger than Morgul-spells.

There shall be shown a token

That Doom is near at hand,

For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

And the Halfling forth shall stand.

...'Of these words we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor... ...wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond and Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters. Therefore... ...I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten, seeking the house of Elrond, of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay.'"

Gandalf lights the sky!

..."The fireworks were by Gandalf: they were not only brought by him, but designed and made by him; and the special effects, set pieces, and flights of rockets were let off by him. But there was also a generous distribution of squibs, crackers, backarappers, sparklers, torches, dwarf-candles, elf-fountains, goblin-barkers and thunder-claps. They were all superb....
......There were rockets like a flight of scintillating birds singing with sweet voices. There were green trees with trunks of dark smoke: their leaves opened like a whole spring unfolding in a moment, and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the astonished hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before they touched their upturned faces. There were fountains of butterflies that flew glittering into the trees; there were pillars of coloured fires that rose and turned into eagles, or sailing ships, or a phalanx of flying swans; there was a red thunderstorm and a shower of yellow rain; there was a forest of silver spears that sprang suddenly into the air with a yell like an embattled army, and came down again into the Water with a hiss like a hundred hot snakes. And... ...in honour of Bilbo... ...A great smoke went up. It shaped itself like a fountain seen in the distance, and began to flow at the summit. It sprouted green and scarlet flames. Out flew a red-golden dragon—not life-size, but terribly life-like: fire came from his jaws, his eyes glared down; there was a roar, and he whizzed three times over the heads of the crowd. They all ducked, and many fell flat on their faces. The dragon passed like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a deafening explosion."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 4 2014, 10:04am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5 2014, 11:17am

Post #10 of 10 (687 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of one of Frodo's more pleasant memories from the Quest...for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Lothlórien: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."...At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elanor, and a light was in his eyes. He was wrapped in some fair memory: and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. "Arwen vanimelda, namarie!" ...then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled....'Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth,' he said, 'and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!' And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.