Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Sign-up for June/July 2014!

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 12:40am

Post #1 of 19 (2222 views)
Shortcut
DOS Chapter of the Week (CHOW) Sign-up for June/July 2014! Can't Post

Hi everyone! Be sure to check out where we're at in DOS, with Kim's thread on 'Queer Lodgings'.

Chapter of the Week (CHOW) is an ongoing discussion on The Hobbit movies--Thranduil's Thralls, perhaps you all would like to join in/host a chapter here! This time around, we need four volunteers! The weeks and chapters that need leaders are as follows:

6. Weekend of June 27th - The Elven-Gate
----> Old Pilgrim
00:17:12 - 00:21:25

7. Weekend of July 4th - Mirkwood
----> BlackFox
00:21:25 - 00:24:33

8. Weekend of July 11th - Flies and Spiders ----> DanielLB
00:24:33 - 00:33:03

9. Weekend of July 18th - The Woodland Realm
----> Noria
00:33:03 - 00:36:05

10. Weekend of July 25th - The Elvenking
----> Lurker in the Mirk
00:36:05 - 00:39:38

To avoid any confusion, the approximate start and end times are given. Each host will make one thread each week on their chosen film chapter (ideally during the weekend - anytime between Friday to Sunday inclusive).

Please do not post a CHOW thread unless you have already signed up, or notified cats16 or DanielLB first. We will return to the extended edition of the film in the future. In the meantime, all chapter titles refer to the theatrical version only.

Volunteers choose their chapter on a first-come-first-serve basis, so get in there quickly if you want to host a particular chapter. If you have already hosted a CHOW, you are more than welcome to volunteer again, but be sure to give everyone an opportunity to host first. Just respond to this thread with which chapter you would like to host. If you miss this sign-up, don't worry! There are plenty of chapters left. If in doubt which chapter is which, consult your DVD (hopefully you own it, or PM either cats16 or DanielLB.)

Each person will be assigned a DVD chapter, seen above. For your chosen chapter, we will leave the discussion up to you! It really is an open book, so we don't want to restrict anyone. Some suggestions might be:

- The use of CGI in the scene (or even HFR, if you can remember what it was like)
- The score and the soundtrack
- The props, sets and landscapes in the scene
- The costumes we see in the film
- The actors and acting
- General scene setups
- Differences from book
- A comparison with animated film
- A comparison with The Lord of the Rings films

You can ask as little or as many questions as you like. Have fun, and enjoy!

You can also choose screencaps for your part, and we recommend this website. Magpie has provided an excellent tutorial in image posting on TORn that can be found here. Please also make sure all screencaps stay within TORn's Term of Service (see 2.20).

When posting your thread, please include "Chapter of the Week: [Insert Chapter Title Here]", so that they are easy to find on a rather fast moving board.

We hope you enjoy all the discussions.

Smile

DanielLB & cats16

Many thanks to BlackFox for this lovely CHOW banner!

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jun 29 2014, 7:24am)

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Jun 24 2014, 4:34am

Post #2 of 19 (1733 views)
Shortcut
No more evil chapters this time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will pick the Elven-Gate chapter, don't want to miss it Gandalf again Wink

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 4:43am

Post #3 of 19 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it. Old Pilgrim. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 26 2014, 12:12pm

Post #4 of 19 (1680 views)
Shortcut
I'd gladly lead another discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood, please!

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 26 2014, 7:47pm

Post #5 of 19 (1657 views)
Shortcut
All yours BlackFox! Thanks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 26 2014, 10:00pm

Post #6 of 19 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Noria
Gondor

Jun 28 2014, 1:57pm

Post #7 of 19 (1630 views)
Shortcut
What, no Thranduil's thralls for The Woodland Realm discussion? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am willing to give it a go if no one else wants this section.

Though they have been introduced just before, this is really the start of the story of the Elves of Mirkwood and I find it very interesting.

I'll even try to follow the instructions and learn to do screen caps. No promises though - I'm not all that computer literate Wink.

Kim
Valinor

Jun 28 2014, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 19 (1607 views)
Shortcut
No one wants to take one of the best scenes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Last chance for Thranduil's Thralls, otherwise I guess I'll just have to go ahead and take The Elvenking chapter. And fair warning: there will be a LOT of Thorin pictures. Wink

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 2:45am

Post #9 of 19 (1626 views)
Shortcut
The Elvenking... I'll take it [In reply to] Can't Post

if it's still available. Can't live with the thought of a chapter named after the King himself be in the hands of a non-Thrall after all Tongue

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 2:46am

Post #10 of 19 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Noria! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 2:47am

Post #11 of 19 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Oops... I guess I raised my hand too late then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Should have read the thread before stepping forward... Please go easy on the Thorin piccing? It's titled the Elvenking after all. Tongue

=======

Kim
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:00am

Post #12 of 19 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Please do! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just stepping in since no one else had, but would be happy to step aside for you Lurker - he is your king after all.

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:23am

Post #13 of 19 (1643 views)
Shortcut
*hugs Kim* Thanks! Now to drum up support in the thralldom // [In reply to] Can't Post

=======

Kim
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:27am

Post #14 of 19 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling this one is going to generate quite a bit of discussion - and photos, lots of photos. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 3:43am

Post #15 of 19 (1618 views)
Shortcut
*chortle* And Avandel will surely bring the goodies for counter-balance // [In reply to] Can't Post

=======

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 5:31am

Post #16 of 19 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Noria! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all yours. No worries! Feel free to PM anyone about screencaps--they're quite easy once you get the hang of it (I know how much of a cliche that is, especially with computers).

Thanks for volunteering again. Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 29 2014, 5:39am

Post #17 of 19 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Great, things are sorted out, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Lurker (and Kim, too). Looking forward to the Thrall-dom taking over the place. Wink

Ok, I believe we're filled to capacity for this time around. Thanks, everyone!

Kim
Valinor

Jun 29 2014, 8:54pm

Post #18 of 19 (1660 views)
Shortcut
I think we'll find [In reply to] Can't Post

that it will turn into an equal opportunity appreciation thread. Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 30 2014, 9:26am

Post #19 of 19 (1790 views)
Shortcut
*snigger*Gotta drag Avandel in, Thorin image purveyor extradinaire that she is // [In reply to] Can't Post

=======

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.