TORn's smallish, but hopefully growing BOTFA spoiler summary

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 23 2014, 6:46pm

Post #1 of 16 (7934 views)
Shortcut
TORn's smallish, but hopefully growing BOTFA spoiler summary Can't Post

A link to the article

I've started a post that's attempting to compile all we know about BOTFA in one place. Figured some of you would have additions -- I'm absolutely certain I've missed or forgotten or overlooked stuff.

Updates:

More from hennethannun.ru: only four spoken phrases in the trailer. [link to TORn update]

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 29 2014, 4:06pm)

Name
Rohan

Jun 23 2014, 8:16pm

Post #2 of 16 (4188 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

There was some mention of bats being involved in the battle, but I have no idea where or when it was said.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Name
Rohan

Jun 23 2014, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 16 (4472 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

And I also noticed that the quote RA gives us as Thorin's last line isn't the exact quote from the book.

RA: “If more people valued home above gold the world would be a merrier place.”

Tolkien: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Hopefully just a misquote by RA. Although, I can see how Tolkien's original line could be a mouthful for a dying dwarf.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 23 2014, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 16 (4135 views)
Shortcut
I'd be surprised if [In reply to] Can't Post

he used the Tolkien quote seeing as how 'home' has been more of the theme for Bilbo and not necessarily song and cheer etc…
RA's quote seems more likely for the films even though Tolkien's is much better.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2014, 5:32am

Post #5 of 16 (3953 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hopefully just a misquote by RA.

The RA-line sounds more like the movie-Thorin than the book-line Smile
I don't mind, as the message is the same Wink

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 24 2014, 8:37am

Post #6 of 16 (3997 views)
Shortcut
Had just been filmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

when the letter was written, so I don't think it's a misquote. But we'll see I guess!

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 24 2014, 8:38am

Post #7 of 16 (3985 views)
Shortcut
Bats? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There was some mention of bats being involved in the battle, but I have no idea where or when it was said.

Anyone know? Bueller?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 24 2014, 9:18am

Post #8 of 16 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Possibly from an interview from Dec 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

The news that The Hobbit was being split into three movies was met with a mixed reaction from fans, but perhaps the best part about the announcement was the fact it meant we will get to see "The Battle of Five Armies" brought to the big screen. It hasn't even been shot yet, but talking to Empire Magazine recently, Richard Armitage had this to say about the battle sequence. "It's been put aside until next year, thankfully," he joked. "It's this big thing looming over us. I'm predicting about ten weeks for the shoot because it's an extensive battle and each character is going to have their 'hero' moment on the battlefield. It's a manic fight in the air - the eagles are fighting bats - and on the ground, and I can't wait to see what Pete does with that." That's right, the battle will see men, elves, dwarves, orcs and eagles all facing off for the future of Middle-Earth! It falls to second unit director Andy Serkis to handle the action, but he isn't letting the pressure get to him. "It's going to be intense beyond belief. It's going to be extraordinary - that's all I can say."

A later EMPIRE article also said this:

The Gundabad orcs march under the dark cover of a cloud of bats

I can get issue numbers later, if it helps.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 24 2014, 10:04am

Post #9 of 16 (3846 views)
Shortcut
That's fab! Thanks heaps. Added to the list. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 24 2014, 11:52pm

Post #10 of 16 (3946 views)
Shortcut
More from Empire: Does this ring a bell at all? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Also in an article from empire (I think) magazine from last year about pickups for the final two hobbit films mentioned witnessing a scene, "Most likely from the third movie where Tauriel revives a dying girl with a liquid burst of elvish". or something along those lines. I think that is most likely a scene in the survival camp and that the girl may possibly be one of Bard's daughters ( Sigrid or Tilda). Just something to think about. :)"

Supposedly form Empire magazine's Desolation of Smaug article? Just wanted to check since you seem to have these on hand...

Cirashala
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 2:39am

Post #11 of 16 (3932 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a link or pic [In reply to] Can't Post

but there was a picture released a while ago where Bard and his kids are standing on a shore, and there's an orange glow on them, and it wasn't in the DOS TE. They're also bundled up- Sigrid is wearing a shawl, and Tilda is also bundled.

So I sort of doubt that the injured girl mentioned is either of them, as that sounded/seemed like the family watching Esgaroth burn after Smaug's attack. Neither of them look like they sustained harm or needed reviving- not if they're all standing upright.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this scene might have been replaced with the Kili healing scene, as the "love triangle" was added in pickups (that might have been after this article was done). But I don't know that for sure. All I know is that in the picture people are upright, sad looking but definitely not having just sustained near death.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 6:12am

Post #12 of 16 (3919 views)
Shortcut
Yes, here's the original quote: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Yesterday, Evangeline Lilly's Tauriel — a young Silvan elf — resuscitated a dying human girl with a liquid burst of elvish.

That was the EMPIRE August 2013 DOS issue. As Cirashala speculates, I also suspect that this scene was replaced with Kili-Tauriel.

Here is the picture she also talks about - Bard & family looking as Lake-town burns.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 26 2014, 8:45am

Post #13 of 16 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! Agree the healing scene is probably a swap // [In reply to] Can't Post

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 26 2014, 8:46am

Post #14 of 16 (3742 views)
Shortcut
Fabbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys are legends -- you just seem to have a knack for recalling these details that slip right out of my head...

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 26 2014, 9:39am

Post #15 of 16 (4385 views)
Shortcut
Mithril shirt confirm [In reply to] Can't Post

I just stumbled on this.

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/tumblr_mvwwq3Iay01sml467o4_1280.jpeg

I expect you've all seen it before though.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2014, 5:21am

Post #16 of 16 (3870 views)
Shortcut
That might be miruvor Tauriel is using this time... [In reply to] Can't Post

instead of athelas like for Kili's poisoned wound.
In another thread down below someone wondered if lembas or cram would be used to help strengthen the survivors of Lake-town, and darkstone answered miruvor would be a better idea. It might come true in the third film then, if this scene does happen! That would be great, I think.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.