grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 11:44am

Post #1 of 11 (281 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 22 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 22, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo returns to the Shire with the Ring. (That same year, Sauron returns in secret to Mordor)
(determined from text)
..."...a day came at last when they were in sight of the country where Bilbo had been born and bred, where the shapes of the land and of the trees were as well known to him as his hands and toes. Coming to a rise he could see his own Hill... ...And so they crossed the bridge and passed the mill by the river and came right back to Bilbo's own door....
..."...Bless me! What's going on?" he cried. There was a great commotion, and people of all sorts, respectable and unrespectable, were thick round the door, and many were going in and out—not even wiping their feet on the mat, as Bilbo noticed with annoyance.
...If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp. It was now nearly lunchtime, and most of the things had already been sold, for various prices from next to nothing ... ...Bilbo's cousins the Sackville-Bagginses were, in fact, busy measuring his rooms to see if their own furniture would fit. In short Bilbo was "Presumed Dead," and not everybody that said so was sorry to find the presumption was wrong.
...The return of Mr. Bilbo Baggins created quite a disturbance, both under the Hill and over the Hill, and across the Water; it was a great deal more than a nine days' wonder. The legal bother... ...lasted for years. It was quite a long time before Mr. Baggins was in fact admitted to be alive again. The people who had got specially good bargains at the Sale took a deal of convincing; and in the end to save time Bilbo had to buy back quite a lot of his own furniture. Many of his silver spoons mysteriously disappeared and were never accounted for. Personally he suspected the Sackville-Bagginses. On their side they never admitted that the returned Baggins was genuine, and they were not on friendly terms with Bilbo ever after. They really had wanted to live in his nice hobbit-hole so very much."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 2:04pm

Post #2 of 11 (246 views)
Shortcut
Oh, where are those spoons . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of his silver spoons mysteriously disappeared and were never accounted for. Personally he suspected the Sackville-Bagginses.

He did retrieve his spoons.

photo SBcartoon.jpg

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 1:40am

Post #3 of 11 (227 views)
Shortcut
OH! Bwaahahahaahaaaa! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! You totally got me with that one! PRICELESS SPOONERISM? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 9:01am

Post #4 of 11 (220 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler about The Hobbit's return and how it became part of the "legend of Bilbo" through the gaffer's interpretation... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'...I reckon it was a nasty knock for those Sackville-Bagginses. They thought they were going to get Bag End, that time when he went off and was thought to be dead. And then he comes back... ...and he goes on living and living, and never looking a day older, bless him! And suddenly he produces an heir, and has all the papers made out proper. The Sackville-Bagginses won't never see the inside of Bag End now....'
...'There's a tidy bit of money tucked away up there, I hear tell,' said a stranger, a visitor on business from Michel Delving in the Westfarthing. 'All the top of your hill is full of tunnels packed with chests of gold and silver, and jools, by what I've heard.'
...'Then you've heard more than I can speak to.... ...I know nothing about jools. Mr. Bilbo is free with his money, and there seems no lack of it; but I know of no tunnel-making. I saw Mr. Bilbo when he came back, a matter of sixty years ago, when I was a lad. I'd not long come prentice of old Holman... ...but he had me up at Bag End helping him to keep folks from trampling and trapessing all over the garden while the sale was on. And in the middle of it all Mr. Bilbo comes up the Hill with a pony and some mighty big bags and a couple of chests. I don't doubt they were mostly full of treasure he had picked up in foreign parts, where there be mountains of gold... ...but there wasn't enough to fill tunnels...'
......But the Gaffer did not convince his audience. The legend of Bilbo's wealth was now too firmly fixed in the minds of the younger generation of hobbits.
...'Ah, but he has likely enough been adding to what he brought at first,' argued the miller, voicing common opinion. 'He's often away from home. And look at the outlandish folk that visit him: dwarves coming at night, and that old wandering conjuror, Gandalf, and all. You can say what you like, Gaffer, but Bag End's a queer place, and its folk are queerer.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 24 2014, 9:48am

Post #5 of 11 (238 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 24, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo as host.
(determined from text-no text)
...To the indignity and confusion of the townsfolk, Gandalf remained at Bag End for many days. Most of them weren't convinced that Bilbo hadn't had a spell cast on him by the wizard. Some insisted it wasn't Bilbo at all but some play-acting spy of Gandalf's out to get Bag End. But Bilbo was so content to be back in his home that he hardly noticed the whispers and wide berths he was given by those he met along Bagshot Row. Gandalf, however, was concerned for Bilbo's ability to re-establish his life and was careful not to show himself unnecessarily.

June 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo as host.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Gandalf continues to enjoy a stay with Frodo at Bag End whilst Frodo slowly begins to lay his plans for leaving the Shire with the Ring.

June 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Minas Tirith.
...Each of the Companions found it easy to adjust to life in the White City. They were warmly greeted by everyone they passed in the streets, enjoyed sleeping on soft feather pillows and with a roof over their heads, and to the delight of the Hobbits, the meals came regularly and in plenty.

June 24, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo as family.
...Newlyweds Sam and Rosie Gamgee have moved into Bag End with Frodo as the Shire enjoys the most pleasant Summer any can remember.

June 24, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Uncle Frodo with his Elanor.
...Three month old Elanor has completely captured the hearts of all; especially her Uncle Frodo. He would spend endless hours with her sitting before the fire quietly singing or telling stories of her Gaffer and Gammer, Uncles Merry and Pippin, great Uncle Bilbo and Fellowship companions. Elanor would watch his face; listen to his voice soothing and, at times, comedy as evidenced by her laughter. Frodo could be seen with her cradled in his arms walking through Hobbiton and the fields and forest surrounding her home as he introduces her to the river, trees, flowers, and personalities of the sky.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 24 2014, 10:54pm

Post #6 of 11 (204 views)
Shortcut
I love these Middle Earth timelines! [In reply to] Can't Post

June 24, 3021 is so sweet and beautiful ! Thanks.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 9:19am

Post #7 of 11 (199 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. King Elessar finds the sapling of the white tree.
(from the appendices)
..."There came a day when Gandalf could not be found, and the Companions wondered what was going forward. But Gandalf took Aragorn out from the City by night, and he brought him to the southern feet of Mount Mindolluin; and there they found a path made in ages past that few now dared to tread. For it led up onto the mountain to a high hallow where only the kings had been wont to go... ...to a high field below the snows that clad the lofty peaks, and it looked down over the precipice that stood behind the City. And standing there they surveyed the lands, for the morning was come; and they saw the towers of the City far below them like white pencils touched by the sunlight, and all the vale of Anduin was like a garden, and the Mountains of Shadow were veiled in a golden mist. Upon the one side their sight reached to the grey Emyn Muil, and the glint of Rauros was like a star twinkling far off; and upon the other side they saw the River like a ribbon laid down to Pelargir, and beyond that was... ...the Sea.
...And Gandalf said: 'This is your realm, and the heart of the greater realm that shall be. The Third Age of the world is ended, and the new age is begun... ...it is your task to order its beginning and to preserve what may be preserved. For though much has been saved, much must now pass away; and the power of the Three Rings also is ended. And all the lands that you see, and those that lie round about them, shall be dwellings of Men. For the time comes of the Dominion of Men, and the Elder Kindred shall fade or depart.'
...'I know it well, dear friend,' said Aragorn; 'but I would still have your counsel.'
...'Not for long now,' said Gandalf. 'The Third Age was my age. I was the Enemy of Sauron; and my work is finished. I shall go soon. The burden must lie now upon you and your kindred.'
...'But I shall die,' said Aragorn. 'For I am a mortal man, and though being what I am and of the race of the West unmingled, I may have life far longer than other men... ...when those who are now in the wombs of women are born and have grown old, I too shall grow old. And who then shall govern Gondor and those who look to this City as to their queen, if my desire be not granted? The Tree in the Court of the Fountain is still withered and barren. When shall I see a sign that it will ever be otherwise?'
...'Turn your face from the green world, and look where all seems barren and cold!' said Gandalf.
...'Then Aragorn turned, and there was a stony slope behind him ... ...he was aware that alone there in the waste a growing thing stood. And he climbed to it, and saw that out of the very edge of the snow there sprang a sapling tree no more than three foot high. Already it had put forth young leaves long and shapely, dark above and silver beneath, and upon its slender crown it bore one small cluster of flowers whose white petals shone like the sunlit snow.
...Then Aragorn cried: 'Ye! utúvienyes! I have found it! Lo! here is a scion of the Eldest of Trees! But how comes it here? For it is not itself yet seven years old.'
......Gandalf coming looked at it, and said; 'Verily this is a sapling of the line of Nimloth the fair; and that was a seedling of Galathilion, and that a fruit of Telperion of many names, Eldest of Trees. Who shall say how it comes here in the appointed hour? But this is an ancient hallow, and ere the kings failed or the Tree withered in the court, a fruit must have been set here... ...the fruit of the Tree comes seldom to ripeness, yet the life within may then lie sleeping through many long years, and none can foretell the time in which it will awake. Remember this. For if ever a fruit ripens, it should be planted, lest the line die out of the world. Here it has lain hidden on the mountain, even as the race of Elendil lay hidden in the wastes of the North. Yet the line of Nimloth is older far than your line, King Elessar.'
...Then Aragorn laid his hand gently to the sapling, and lo! it seemed to hold only lightly to the earth, and it was removed without hurt; and Aragorn bore it back to the Citadel. Then the withered tree was uprooted, but with reverence; and... ...laid to rest in the silence of Rath Dínen. And Aragorn planted the new tree in the court by the fountain, and swiftly and gladly it began to grow; and when the month of June entered in it was laden with blossom.
...'The sign has been given,' said Aragorn, 'and the day is not far off.' And he set watchmen upon the walls."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 25 2014, 9:25am

Post #8 of 11 (196 views)
Shortcut
awww...Thank you :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I have fun with them :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 25 2014, 4:51pm

Post #9 of 11 (199 views)
Shortcut
'Ye! utúvienyes! I have found it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this scene between King Elessar and Gandalf. Thanks for the reread! Smile

One niggler: Although The Tale of Years states:
“June 25. King Elessar finds the sapling of the White Tree.”
It appears that Gandalf knew ahead of time of its location and was acting with humility with his steerage of the King.

.'Turn your face from the green world, and look where all seems barren and cold!' said Gandalf.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2014, 9:14am

Post #10 of 11 (180 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that tells more of the story of the White Tree and of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Council of Elrond: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew, recalling somewhat of the might of Númenor, ere it fell. High towers... ...and strong places, and havens of many ships; and the winged crown of the Kings of Men was held in awe by folk of many tongues. Their chief city was Osgiliath, Citadel of the Stars, through the midst of which the River flowed. And Minas Ithil they built, Tower of the Rising Moon, eastward upon a shoulder of the Mountain of Shadow; and westward at the feet of the White Mountains Minas Anor they made, Tower of the Setting Sun. There in the courts of the King grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressëa, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young.
... 'But in the wearing of the swift years of Middle-earth the line of Meneldil son of Anárion failed, and the Tree withered, and the blood of the Númenóreans became mingled with that of lesser men... ...the watch upon the walls of Mordor slept, and dark things crept back to Gorgoroth... ...evil things came forth, and they took Minas Ithil and abode in it, and they made it into a place of dread; and it is called Minas Morgul, the Tower of Sorcery. Then Minas Anor was named anew Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard; and these two cities were even at war, but Osgiliath which lay between was deserted and in its ruins shadows walked.
... 'So it has been for many lives of men. But the Lords of Minas Tirith still fight on, defying our enemies, keeping the passage of the River from Argonath to the Sea.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2014, 9:20am

Post #11 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
Yes! He knew! [In reply to] Can't Post

He, once again, guided Aragorn in another step in his destiny... and stepped aside to let the new King make the discovery. This seemed to be an important step, p'raps to help him become Elessar and make this incredible connection with the past and present.

I wonder if this was, for Gandalf, one of his reasons for being in Middle-earth... and for returning as "the White"?

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.