The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two possibly possible endings for BOT5A

boldog
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 9:11am

Post #1 of 6 (722 views)
Shortcut
Two possibly possible endings for BOT5A Can't Post

Now in general there is likely two different ways that this film will end. Either it will end in the actual story of THE HOBBIT, or it will end as a storybook ending, kind of like how it started.
Now the two possibilities im talking about are in the "story book ending" side.

Possibility 1.
Auj begins before FOTR starts, as in the frodo prologue. So this got me thinking, what if they end it, after ROTK? Obviously still revolving around Bilbo telling his story.
This possibility is ending on the ships to valinor.
Basically we hear Martin Freemans Bilbos voice telling his story to a little tiny Frodo, and slowly it changes into Ian Holms , much older voice of Bilbo, Finishing the story to the much older and mature Frodo. Here we can maybe get a cameo of Gandalf the white. We may even get a hint dropped of what Frodo had been through, but obviously only very much in passing. It should end then, with someone yelling "Land ahead!" and we see in the distance a bright shoreline, and everyone looks on in absolute awe. Slowly the camera zooms into the much older Bilbo, and as it zooms he says "My dear Frodo. This time we shall have an adventure together" Then the camera shows the ship sailing towards the bright light, and it fades to black. THE END!!

Possibility 2.
This possibility revolves around the red book. What it fades from the actual HOBBIT time, and it fades into post lotr time, with samwise gamgee, reading the ending to Bilbos tale to his children before they go to sleep. Perhaps the last line of the book could be "and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days." And when he finishes reading it, we can see sams children complain that they want to hear more. Here he says that that is the end of the story. The children are all upset that its finished. Sam then puts them to sleep, and walks out of their room, and looking at the book, smiles at the front page, where Frodo also wrote the lord of the rings, and says "They both will surely live happily ever after" He closes the book, and the screen goes to black. THE END!!

WHat do you think? which is better? are any good?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Name
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 1:40pm

Post #2 of 6 (319 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Never really thought about those two possibilities. I think the first ending would be very cool, but much harder to effectively pull off than your second option. And I'm afraid it spoils RotK just a little bit too much. Especially having Gandalf the White. That's a surprise better left for TTT.

The second idea is pretty cute, because it could effectively show that this story Bilbo has written is actually being read to children in the future. Plus it would give Sam a short cameo without actually giving anything away to the audiance who hasn't yet seen LotR.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 22 2014, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 6 (260 views)
Shortcut
I love both of these! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a great ending would be a mixing of your tow ideas. Have Sam read to his children and then have him look at the book that contains The Lord of The Rings and smile, and then fade out and show the light and hear Bilbo's voice as he tells Frodo they will go on an adventure. That would be perfect.Heart

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 22 2014, 4:00pm)

Óintment
The Shire

Jun 22 2014, 9:00pm

Post #4 of 6 (192 views)
Shortcut
I'll cry for both endings [In reply to] Can't Post

funfact: wont cry foor book ending

Pick up line: Are you an Ork, cause you make my sting Glow!

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 23 2014, 7:20am

Post #5 of 6 (180 views)
Shortcut
Interesting, but please no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both would be too confusing and too reliant on LotR imho, with any reference to Valinor and the RotK ending with all the death themes too heavy for TH, even in this expanded version.

It should end very quickly after the Bilbo/Balin/Gandalf scene with old Bilbo.

As I have stated elsewhere I would like old Bilbo to stop writing and saying something like "This is no good"... scratching out stuff, maybe even ripping pages out of the book. Starting again. Then there is a knock on the door and he gets up saying "No thank you! We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers or distant relations!"

Fade to the open book with "There and Back Again - A Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins" written on a page. The End.

Even without knowledge of LotR the scene would make sense - it could just be some visitor. For those knowing LotR it might be nice to realize it is Gandalf at the door (we may even hear Gandalf's answer in the distance).

But each to their own - I still find your ideas very interesting and intriguing to read. Thank for that!

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 24 2014, 9:15pm

Post #6 of 6 (89 views)
Shortcut
Both are interesting ideas but I don't think either will happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are too complicated and involve dragging in even more ideas or characters from LotR.

I rather expect there to be a bookend to the prologue of the first movie but it will probably just have Bilbo and possibly Frodo or Gandalf, though I don't think either is necessary.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.