The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So is it the same windlance

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Jun 21 2014, 3:05pm

Post #1 of 8 (760 views)
Shortcut
So is it the same windlance Can't Post

In DOS, Balin says something like, "We have not seen a weapon like this since the destruction of Dale". I am certainly way off but I am positive he doesn't specify that it is the sane wind lance used at Dale. Perhaps the dwarves built the men of Esgeroth a wind lance before Smaug came? This would solve the mystery of how the men got it from Dale to Lake Town. Do you think it is the same weapon?

Name
Rohan

Jun 21 2014, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 8 (447 views)
Shortcut
From what I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

There were many of those windlances in Dale. The one in Laketown was probably just one that survived the attack and was brought to the new settlement on the lake.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2014, 8:28pm

Post #3 of 8 (332 views)
Shortcut
Best guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have assumed that the windlance that we see in Lake-town was recovered from the ruins of Dale.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 22 2014, 11:48am

Post #4 of 8 (238 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

While watching the movie, I just assumed it was the same one and that the survivors had brought it to Laketown. But after thinking about it, why would they bring it to Laketown at all? If they brought it for protection against another dragon attack, they would need more black arrows, and Bard appeared to have the only one left. And if they brought it as a memorial that seems a little strange, too, since it would be a memorial of a failure. I suppose, though, that it could be a memorial to the victims and a reminder to future generations of what happened.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Name
Rohan

Jun 22 2014, 1:45pm

Post #5 of 8 (214 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And if it is that original windlance, then how did it survive? You'd think that would be the first thing Smaug would target in his attack.

This makes me think there were multiple windlances. Or someone simply built one at a later time.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 2:01pm

Post #6 of 8 (211 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While watching the movie, I just assumed it was the same one and that the survivors had brought it to Laketown. But after thinking about it, why would they bring it to Laketown at all? If they brought it for protection against another dragon attack, they would need more black arrows, and Bard appeared to have the only one left. And if they brought it as a memorial that seems a little strange, too, since it would be a memorial of a failure. I suppose, though, that it could be a memorial to the victims and a reminder to future generations of what happened.

If this windlance was built for Lake-town, one would expect it to have a suppply of bolts already.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 2:19pm

Post #7 of 8 (208 views)
Shortcut
Great Question! [In reply to] Can't Post

My immediate thought is that this is the one brought down from Dale after the destruction by Girion's people and placed at Lake-town for protection... fully intending on making more Black Arrows. But I suppose the Arrows were made by the Dwarves for Dale... and with the Dwarves gone, there was noone to make more Arrows.

Just like Lake-town looks like it has been badly neglected and with Smaug being silent for generations, so the intent to make more Arrows fell to the wayside. It's also the reason Bard has the very last Arrow. I wonder if it was hidden so the metal wouldn't be melted down for other things, or if it also was so neglected that it became a holder for towels, herbs or anything else that could hang from it. Sitting there for so long, the family didn't even think about what it was.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 22 2014, 3:04pm

Post #8 of 8 (213 views)
Shortcut
It may have bolts... [In reply to] Can't Post

but no black arrows!

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.