Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Will there ever be new Middle-earth stories?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 21 2014, 1:25am

Post #1 of 23 (638 views)
Shortcut
Will there ever be new Middle-earth stories? Can't Post

I don't know if this has ever been discussed here (probably has, no doubt), but will there ever be new novels set in Middle-earth like LOTR or The Hobbit or Children of Hurin? While reading LOTR it just strikes me how rich and beautiful Middle-earth is, and how much potential it could have for new stories set on minor or new characters. I don't know if Christopher Tolkien would ever consider writing new stories set in this world, but it'd definitely be amazing. I mean, there definitely won't be tons of spinoff books coming out by different writers, and that's not what I'm saying I want. I'd like to see CT maybe indulge more in this world, since he understands it just as well as his father. Does anyone think there will be new stories set in Middle-earth?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Big Daddy Balrog
The Shire

Jun 21 2014, 5:25am

Post #2 of 23 (435 views)
Shortcut
likely not until Chris Tolkein dies or the rights lapse to public domain [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt any new stories would be published in the near future. Christopher Tolkien would likely never allow it, though I'm not sure about his heirs. If Tolkien's works become public domain after the copyrights expire then you may see new stories published, but that won't happen for another 40 years or so. But even then, I wonder if very few authors would even dare try to tackle this and match the quality of JRR's writing. Nobody wants to be that guy who ruins Middle Earth. I am reminded of The Godfather's mediocre sequels that weren't written by Mario Puzo.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:58am

Post #3 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
No - [In reply to] Can't Post

- Christopher doesn't write fiction.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 11:28am

Post #4 of 23 (389 views)
Shortcut
does he write fanfiction? // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2014, 12:35pm

Post #5 of 23 (395 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. Tie-in novels? [In reply to] Can't Post

I see one remote possibility that depends on the specific clauses attached to the filmrights owned by Middle-earth Enterprises/The Saul Zaentz Company. There have been various games set in Middle-earth; also, the screenrights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings allow for spin-off films derived from those two works (including the LotR Appendices). It is possible that tie-in novels to any such video games or films might be permissable. Of course, such books could wind up being dreadful.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 1:19pm

Post #6 of 23 (376 views)
Shortcut
Not as I understand it, no. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 21 2014, 1:39pm

Post #7 of 23 (391 views)
Shortcut
Yes, like that [In reply to] Can't Post

Although you never know if they would be bad or not. Having more stories set in Middle-earth would be great, and could possibly introduce new readers to Tolkien's books like the films have. I'm surprised the responses have been pretty calm, as I would expect a lot of book fans to bite my head off at the mere thought of non-Tolkien written books.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 1:50pm

Post #8 of 23 (370 views)
Shortcut
(i was only teasing : ) ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 21 2014, 1:52pm

Post #9 of 23 (381 views)
Shortcut
The time for it is not now, [In reply to] Can't Post

but that time will surely come. We may never see it, though.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 2:34pm

Post #10 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
I knew that - ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2014, 7:49pm

Post #11 of 23 (362 views)
Shortcut
Wait for it... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm surprised the responses have been pretty calm, as I would expect a lot of book fans to bite my head off at the mere thought of non-Tolkien written books.

As a fan of the books myself, I can only say that it's early yet. Give it time. Wink

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 8:12pm

Post #12 of 23 (368 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there are many book fans left here. [In reply to] Can't Post

- and speaking for myself, i don't go round biting peoples' heads off.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 21 2014, 8:28pm

Post #13 of 23 (357 views)
Shortcut
i do [In reply to] Can't Post

+i+ do. i especially like it when i find a toy surprise inside.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:48am

Post #14 of 23 (339 views)
Shortcut
Last time I was in the library, I noticed a novel by JRRT's grandson. [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, it was a story about a lawyer (barrister?) which didn't interest me, so I haven't read it. Maybe he needs time to prove himself as a writer before he jumps in the deep end with Middle-earth.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 22 2014, 3:01am

Post #15 of 23 (329 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Simon Tolkien sees himself that way [In reply to] Can't Post

He has commented in interviews, I think, that he worries about having his minor league legal potboilers compared to his grandfather's masterpieces of romantic fantasy.

I should think that any author who would contemplate writing a "Middle-earth" story to supplement Tolkien's work, would first ask him- or herself: "Am I a professional scholar of antique languages and literature who aspires to write heroic fantasy of the same order as my job requires me to read, but in a style that evokes early 20th century romances and thrillers?"

The answer for a 21st century writer, I should hope, would be, "Nope. If I were to try to imitate Tolkien's style, it would be a pastiche that did not come from my own heart. It would be false, and Tolkien was not false. I will not do this deed."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Jun 22 2014, 3:36am

Post #16 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut
Ancanar was one attempt... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a discussion about the movie project Ancanar, which was never produced. It was to be set in the First Age of Middle Earth and it appears the title character was searching for Gondolin, but this is not mentioned in the movie synopsis (and probably would never be mentioned in the movie itself if it were made) because of copyright issues.

That movie is the closest I've seen as a spinoff of the legendarium, although it would not have been officially set in "Middle Earth."

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 22 2014, 1:46pm

Post #17 of 23 (332 views)
Shortcut
Technically there have been already: [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sanctioned by the Tolkien estate of course:

* links removed because they are copyright violations *

(It's not something I personally have any interest in-I would have loved an expanded 'Of Tuor and The Fall of Gondolin', but sadly Tolkien never completed it, it's just not the same with another author)

As for Christopher Tolkien writing new stories, I don't think he'd have the time, or energy such an undertakening would require, and it's not something I think he'd even consider,it seems he sees editing his father's unpublished works accurately, rather than second guessing him by trying to finish them a better way to show his father's creative process, expanding a half finished story into a full length novel for instance (some 40+ years after Tolkien's death) could easily be seen as a cash in.

It is worth noting that not all of Tolkien's writing has been published (mainly poems, linguistic material and artwork as I understand it) and the publications by C.Tolkien (Unfinished Tales, History of Middle Earth etc) were never intended to show each and every draft and minor peice of writing, for instance The Quest of Erebor was published in very different versions in Unfinished Tales and The Annotated Hobbit, whilst Hammond and Scull's 'The Lord of The Rings: A Reader's Companion' publishes extracts from an alternate version of 'The Hunt For The Ring' and other miscellaneous writings.

So we may see more writing about Middle Earth published, but I wouldn't expect alot of it, certainly not a new story.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jun 22 2014, 3:27pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2014, 2:42pm

Post #18 of 23 (317 views)
Shortcut
Unauthorized Russian novel [In reply to] Can't Post

There is an unauthorized work that tells the story of the War of the Ring from Sauron's point-of-view. Sorry, I don't remember the title or author.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 3:27pm

Post #19 of 23 (287 views)
Shortcut
I removed your links [In reply to] Can't Post

because they are copyright violations.

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 22 2014, 5:14pm

Post #20 of 23 (290 views)
Shortcut
I removed a sub-thread discussing an unauthorized work [In reply to] Can't Post

Think it through... if you give the name of an unauthorized work, or a link that *links* to it, it's the same as just linking to it yourself. Also, the thread was either veering off-topic or *gasp* starting to discuss said unauthorized work.

We have a deep respect for copyrights here, yes (especially of Tolkien's works), but the bottom line is that we're also protecting our site. We don't want any nasty letters from attorneys (or even polite ones as they sometimes are - and yes, we *have* gotten them in the past). So, feel free to share links to, and titles of, works that violate copyright if you must, but please do it in private.

Thanks Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 22 2014, 5:17pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 22 2014, 6:35pm

Post #21 of 23 (256 views)
Shortcut
Duly noted. Apologies! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 22 2014, 10:27pm

Post #22 of 23 (239 views)
Shortcut
No worries! And, do feel free to continue the conversation - just link free please :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2014, 3:36pm

Post #23 of 23 (265 views)
Shortcut
I saw that. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the record, I did not provide the link. I did not even name the author or title of the work (although from a purely acedemic viewpoint, I'm not sure that it is wrong to simply cite the title and author while noting that the work is unauthorized).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 23 2014, 3:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.