Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta on this beautiful, almost summer day!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:36pm

Post #51 of 73 (121 views)
Shortcut
Dunno, yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had EQC assessors out already, and next up we'll be getting a geotechnical engineer's report. That should suggest what can be done, and EQC should pay for some of it. I'm not very optimistic that much can sensibly be done to stabilize the landslide area, at least in the short term until vegetation regenerates; but without the slope stabilized, I think our yard is at high risk. And there isn't much yard right there between the fence and the deck. I really can't imagine how any structure can be built that would stabilize the slope, short of using helicopters to do it. I don't see any way to get machinery to the slope (at least without completely tearing up our side yard), and it's maybe 60-ish meters deep there.

Thanks for the congrats. :-)

How's your weather up there?

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:42pm

Post #52 of 73 (122 views)
Shortcut
Well, howdy, pardner! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Did you hear my Texas accent there? Wink)

So glad you're getting to spend some time with family, and that you've recovered well enough to travel. After what you've been through, it's fantastic to know you're doing so well now. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:46pm

Post #53 of 73 (117 views)
Shortcut
Good grief, Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell someone to turn off the tap!

That's an amazing amount of flooding. I feel so sorry for all the people and critters affected. I wonder how this will affect all the birds (besides the ducks, which I'm sure are loving it). It'll be interesting to see whether you notice differences in diversity or abundance when you're able to get back to birdwatching.

We've had some serious flooding around us recently, but it was very localized, so nowhere near such an epic scale as what you've had. I sure hope you're in for a nice long stretch of sun now.

Enjoy your quiet weekend!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:48pm

Post #54 of 73 (117 views)
Shortcut
Back atcha, entmaiden! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for the congrats. Smile

What's new in your neck of the woods? Enjoying summer?

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:54pm

Post #55 of 73 (116 views)
Shortcut
Great news, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a relief that the transplant is working! That's awesome. And great to have the support from your other sister, too. Cheers to both of them!

And a very happy weekend to you, too, m'dear!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2014, 10:57pm

Post #56 of 73 (118 views)
Shortcut
Liquids-only diets [In reply to] Can't Post

should include healthy shots of gin or rum or equivalent, too, right? Just to keep things a bit more fun. Wink

Hope your procedure went smoothly and that all is okay.

Quiet weekends are good! Not that we ever have those around here, but I think I remember what they used to be like.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 1:06am

Post #57 of 73 (116 views)
Shortcut
All good, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

No alcohol today Unsure. I put a bottle of dry rose in the refrigerator and was looking forward to a nice glass of wine to celebrate getting past the tests, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow (Sunday).

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:23am

Post #58 of 73 (111 views)
Shortcut
Awww... I think our late Teddy would love to exchange notes with him [In reply to] Can't Post

So, he doesn't have opportunity to bother them. Honestly, he's never cared much about birds anyway, so I don't think he'd bother them even if he went outside. Plus, chasing them would require moving, and he's not fond of that either!Tongue

He was indoor, as are all ours, and he never cared much for anything but snuggling. His littermate, Bam Bam though, he always thought the world's his kibble.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:26am

Post #59 of 73 (110 views)
Shortcut
Morning again! =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Tis Sunday conveying much sun, and sweat-inducing swelter as usual. Hope it's a welcome indicator of your Sundat Smile

I checked out your blog and it looks like it's coming along great! Good luck as you continue with it!Smile

Thanks! I'm liking how it's coming along too. *fingers crossed*

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 1:39am

Post #60 of 73 (111 views)
Shortcut
Kim, I'll trade ya! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of that cold air sounds great!

And thanks! Smile

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 22 2014, 1:40am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 22 2014, 2:00am

Post #61 of 73 (113 views)
Shortcut
Way to go, Elizabeth! [In reply to] Can't Post

You showed that car who's boss! Sly

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 3:50am

Post #62 of 73 (112 views)
Shortcut
A cold wind (there's fresh snow on the mountain) [In reply to] Can't Post

but when the sun's out it's warmish. We're certainly drier up here than you have been!

I was just out in the garden trying to spot a couple of birds with a song I hadn't heard before (all I could see was a tiny body, about the size of a waxeye but I'm not sure if they were waxeyes or not), when I was startled by an adule kereru sitting on a very low branch giving me the beady eye. I stood still and just watched it, but apparently its nerves couldn't take it and it did a whop-whop-whop low-fly escape past me to another tree. Made my afternoon. :)

Good luck with that cliff-face. It sounds like you'll need more than a large-scale planting of agapanthus to get it sorted.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 9:01pm

Post #63 of 73 (95 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on the champion chooks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a fine achievement.

Ugh re the landslip. I hope you get useful suggestions from the experts.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2014, 9:29pm

Post #64 of 73 (92 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're looking great! So glad to see everything getting back to normal as quickly as it can for you. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2014, 1:19am

Post #65 of 73 (86 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I literally have chills all over my arms. Modern medicine is amazing, but it also takes brave people like you to step up and volunteer to help. You're truly an inspiration to us all.

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 23 2014, 1:35am)

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2014, 1:30am

Post #66 of 73 (88 views)
Shortcut
Prize-winning chooks? I'm not surprized [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a gift with animals. I'm glad you're finding so much success and enjoyment with the chookies!

I remember a conversation we had once where I complimented you on your amazing way with animals and you replied that that was great, but all your houseplants always died. I remember replying that it was a good thing it wasn't the other way around! Lol. Laugh

Good luck with the mud & rain & slides. I hope things dry out soon.

*hugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 23 2014, 1:34am

Post #67 of 73 (84 views)
Shortcut
Howdy, y'all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I lived in Texas for three years, so I perfected that y'all part. Wink

How absolutely wonderful that you were able to travel all the way to Texas so soon! You're so amazing. Good for you for forging ahead with life despite all you've been through. Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 23 2014, 9:44am

Post #68 of 73 (77 views)
Shortcut
Anyone watching World Cup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great game last night, USA vs Portugal. Knowing that probably more than 75% of the posters on this forums are Americans, I cheered for your team! And you almost won...

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2014, 3:01pm

Post #69 of 73 (72 views)
Shortcut
What an exciting game, [In reply to] Can't Post

and of course I watched it! Soccer/football isn't a huge sport in the US, but we love these international events. The US team did pretty well, except for the last 30 seconds of the game, and Thursday's game against Germany is going to be epic.

Since it's summer here, many cities have set up outdoor viewing areas so people can watch on giant screens. Here in Chicago, they actually had to move the viewing area to a larger space since the crowds were so large. I think we had several thousand people at the park, not to mention thousands of others at home and in bars. The time zone is favorable to us, since Brazil is only 2-4 hours ahead.

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 24 2014, 1:46am

Post #70 of 73 (68 views)
Shortcut
A great game! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Ronaldo had the ball at the very end, I got a worried feeling in my stomach. Well, he's the best for a reason.

Hoping things work out for us in the end, and that the match against Germany is just as fun!

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 24 2014, 3:56am

Post #71 of 73 (66 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm mostly watching it vicariously through my Kiwi better-half, but I'm drawn in as much as I have time to be, especially on weekends. That was a great game - no complaints about it at all really (that said from my air-conditioned posi, as opposed to the poor players fighting the heat and humidity!Pirate).

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 24 2014, 1:11pm

Post #72 of 73 (62 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you were able to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a great time :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 26 2014, 7:41pm

Post #73 of 73 (48 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations US! [In reply to] Can't Post

You made it through a very tough group today, despite losing vs Germany. Looking forward to the knock-out stage!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.