Another Tengwar entry!!

Aragorn_Strider
Bree

Feb 14 2008, 7:23am

Post #1 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
Another Tengwar entry!! Can't Post

Mae Govannen all!

I apologize for the delay this week. Our internet was down since Monday. I'm glad to see some new people have joined the game. Anyway, the clue to last week's puzzle was: A nice rest stop on your Middle-Earth roadtrip. You might meet many new people there, and hold good council. "Meet many" and "council" were of course references to "Many Meetings" and "Council of Elrond", from The Fellowship of the Ring, and both of these chapters took place in: Imladris or Rivendell.

Good job to those who guessed correctly! Here are the standings:
This week's results
Dernwyn 3
Elven 3
Idril 3
Peredhil 3
Aunt Dora 2
vtboyarc 0
Elf-Wannabee 3
Tyler 2

Overall
Dernwyn 7
Elven 5
Idril 7
Peredhil 5
Aunt Dora 2
vtboyarc 0
Elf-Wannabee 3
Tyler 2

Okay this week, thing start getting tricky. As many of us know, Elvish is a mostly phonetic language, meaning words are frequently spelled as they sound. This of course leads to different spellings than we are used to. In example, Celeborn would be spelled with the tengwar K, as all words in Elvish use the hard c sound for the letter c. J would be used for words where G takes that sound. These are the rules I will attempt to follow for these puzzles. However, if I use Celeborn one week, you do not have to spell it with a K to get it right, after all we are used to it as is. But I will be using the tengwar k in such instances.

That being said, here is this week's entry:

A stout fellow, he is the founder of the family of Gardner.

There you go! Good luck everyone, and hopefully I'll be back on schedule with next week's. Also, the time span will be a bit shorter this week , so that I keep with the Monday schedule.

...The crownless again shall be King!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 11:22am

Post #2 of 8 (92 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

with the posting of the puzzle! Internet outages (a common occurance in winter weather) wreak havoc with everyone's schedules.

Ah, dear Sam Gamgee! (Or "Sam Gamje", literally, here.)

Have you noticed that when Tolkien wrote "of", since it's pronounced like "ov", he would use the "v" character? Phonetic writing does make transcribing a little bit tricky!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 14 2008, 12:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (90 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to apologise!

This one was easier - the description gave it away, but I looked it up nonetheless, to be sure:

Sam Gamgee

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 14 2008, 4:13pm

Post #4 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
This one i know ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Gamgee mayor of the Shire!

-looking for something cool-

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2008, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 8 (79 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Gamgee

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Feb 16 2008, 3:52pm

Post #6 of 8 (72 views)
Shortcut
I'm out late trimming the verge!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Answer: Sam Gamgee

vtboyarc
Lorien

Feb 19 2008, 7:48pm

Post #7 of 8 (53 views)
Shortcut
Samwise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good ole' Samwise Gamgee!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Feb 20 2008, 9:46pm

Post #8 of 8 (51 views)
Shortcut
I'm new at elvish in general [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Gamgee, thit is of corse if I'm correct in assuming that tengwar fits the same rule as the futhork and everything is spelled phoeneticly. Which would be nice, I can't spell worth a darn.

Eglario Valar!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.