First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2014, 5:55pm

Post #26 of 28 (201 views)
Shortcut
     Let's all move on [In reply to]  

I would point out a portion of the post at the top of this page:

"The Reading Room is intended to be a forum for critical analysis and on-topic discussion of Tolkien's literary works. Reading Room features include ongoing discussions of Tolkien-related books and topics, where volunteers lead 'formal' discussions, as well as posts of general interest you can make at any time"

There are other forums like Main or Off Topic to mix book and movie, but the Reading Room is not that forum.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2014, 7:29pm

Post #27 of 28 (192 views)
Shortcut
     You most definitely can!!! [In reply to]  

I'm a big fan of free speech. So what if I and another disagree? We don't have to bosom friends do we?

However, when there is critical analysis happening we must be as canny and direct as we can. When dealing with an interpretation of a text (I consider the films to be PJ's artistic interpretation, and one we can share in-- a sort of commentary with a point-of-view that might be useful) we must delineate these interpretive opinions clearly, separating them from the text itself. It does a disservice to any learner here who misinterprets the made point as Tolkien, not Jackson.

It may also be the setting in the RR that has caused the upward movement of a few eyebrows. The primary focus here is the written works, and though the films might expand a sentence or paragraph to shed light on an original, authorial point, references to them should be used as secondary points--supporting the integrity of text, not as primary theses.

That said, I still believe you have many good points, and I appreciate them despite a few flaws in the methodology.

IMHO, there is a fine shade of difference in meaning here, akin to the point an old poster, Reverend, made about Sam's speech's written dialogue (What are we holding on to?) in the film, versus the intent and meaning of the text. At first I disagreed with him, but by degrees, I came to appreciate the slight, almost imperceptible, difference.

The filmmakers had a slightly different view of the situation (Holding on to good, and fighting for it) while Tolkien made it clear they went on because it was the right thing to do-- they'd made a promise, yes, but they also knew what was right and good and chose to do it for its own virtuous sake. Any other interpretation, while it may exist and work well in its own continuum, lessens their primary resolve and the noble choice to just do good.

I'd link to it, but in afraid I cannot find it, ATM. I'll try to come back once I've more time.

[edit]

Oops!! Just saw the post above mine. Sorry entmaiden! Delete as needed.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Jun 20 2014, 7:31pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 20 2014, 10:41pm

Post #28 of 28 (225 views)
Shortcut
     Finally locked this thread [In reply to]  

... as entmaiden's 'please move on' request wasn't taking hold.

I imagine it might be difficult for folks who view the boards in flat mode to see entmaiden's request, as it's embedded pretty far into a sub-thread. In cases like that, where people might be missing the message, locking threads is the fail safe way to ensure people move on. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.