Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
So, where did the name 'Guritz' come from?

KrakenGuard
The Shire

Jun 18 2014, 5:46pm

Post #1 of 11 (871 views)
Shortcut
So, where did the name 'Guritz' come from? Can't Post

Everyone remembers that orc with the skull on his head, right?

Aside from Gothmog, he's the only other orc who seems to stick out among the rest of his fiendish friends. But unlike Gothmog, or even Shagrat or Gorbag, he did not have an official name.

Yes, he was nicknamed 'Skully' by the cast and crew for obvious reasons, but I guarantee you would not find 'Skully' listed in the credits. Not even in the Extended Edition. And even in past merchandise, he was only known as a Morannon Orc Captain, or Mordor Orc Lieutenant.

He did not have an official name when the movie came out. And even in the Extended Edition, he wasn't given a name... But now, I've seen the name 'Guritz' thrown around in certain places, and the same name is being used for his upcoming Asmus figure.

So, after all these years, they've decided to give this orc a name. Tongue

What I'm curious about is: Where did the name come from? And why would they bother to give this previously nameless character a name? It's been eleven years since RoTK, hasn't it? Why decide now to give this guy a name?

Was it because he turned out to be more popular than expected?

Not gonna lie though, for a character that isn't really all that important, I'd have to say that's quite the accomplishment, to be named after all these years... Tongue

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 18 2014, 6:01pm

Post #2 of 11 (701 views)
Shortcut
i think of this orc as female [In reply to] Can't Post

i have always thought of this orc as female. the voice sounds like a female voice.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 11 (685 views)
Shortcut
Names are important for marketing [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the source is a figure released by Asmus Toys
http://www.asmuslotr.com/guritz-2
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10260335

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2014, 9:39pm

Post #4 of 11 (659 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's the voice and also the general "aura' surrounding that orc (and perhaps the long-ish hair) Crazy

Either way, it's a pretty cool orc design and still makes my flesh crawl a little.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jun 18 2014, 9:39pm)

KrakenGuard
The Shire

Jun 18 2014, 9:41pm

Post #5 of 11 (656 views)
Shortcut
That seems to be where the name is most prominent. [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to be where the name is most prominent. But I do seem to remember the name being mentioned on the LoTR Wiki, even before the Asmus Figures and stuff. Tongue

But then, the name started catching on with other things. Can't say I've played Lego Lord of the Rings, but I know the name also appears on the Brickipedia as well.

On a different subject, does anyone know where I can find Mr. Skully without the skull? I recall there being an image someplace where he was without the skull, but I can't find it for the life of me!

Any tips? Tongue

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 10:07pm

Post #6 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut
been using a few search tricks [In reply to] Can't Post

doing a search for 'guritz' 'lord of the rings' during certain time parameters doesn't seem to provide any results until 2006 but nothing that reveals anything.

the LOTR wiki page was created on December 22, 2006 and seems to be using the name from the onset.

There is no mention - in the wiki article - as to where the name comes from which is, in my opinion, a serious issue. I have done a good amount of work on the extras in the LOTR films and I always specify where a character's name comes from.

I also conducted a google search of the entire LOTR wiki site and didn't find any other info.

The name is not present in the ROTK credits.

I considered the possibility that the name came from the Decipher Collectible Card Game since that was being actively produced during the release of the three LOTR movies and that game named (and in some cases, renamed) characters that were not named in the movies.

But a cursory search of the cards did not produce any results.

I suggest you contact someone on the wiki and ask them. They are responsible for their info.

But, it appears the name is licensed by NewLine so that's likely the source. For what reason the name was created is what's in question.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 18 2014, 10:07pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 18 2014, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 11 (649 views)
Shortcut
agreed on general aura! [In reply to] Can't Post

earl, agreed on general aura! : )

but i must say, the tip off for me was when i observed the other orcs opening the door for her.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2014, 10:09pm

Post #8 of 11 (645 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen this orc without the skull [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure it wasn't another similar looking orc?

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

KrakenGuard
The Shire

Jun 18 2014, 10:14pm

Post #9 of 11 (644 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure. He had the same face, including that scar. Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2014, 12:21am

Post #10 of 11 (647 views)
Shortcut
Possibly an homage to "Garland Green" [In reply to] Can't Post

"One girl, I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat."
-Garland Green, Con Air (1997).

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Big Daddy Balrog
The Shire

Jun 21 2014, 5:32am

Post #11 of 11 (668 views)
Shortcut
not female but almost pretty enough [In reply to] Can't Post

With the blonde hair and blue eyes, this Orc looks the most like a corrupted Elf, no?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.