My favourite part of the book

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2014, 2:38pm

Post #1 of 12 (682 views)
Shortcut
My favourite part of the book Can't Post

Is all the way to crickhollow and then until when they arrive to the old forest

I font know why but the sense of danger but yet the familiarity of bieng in the shire still its a mix that make it more real than when they are in Mordor for example. Its a sense like the enemy invading your typical day-by-day life

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 7:33pm

Post #2 of 12 (437 views)
Shortcut
so true ! [In reply to] Can't Post

That part is such an relaxing and warm feeling of reading to me, so to speak. Having a good tea and some cookies, candlelight and so. While reading that part of the book i always feel being with them, a part of the story. Its great imagining the landscape of the Shire , so homely !!!

2nd place: Shelobs Lair
3rd: the Mines of Moria

Both so haunting and creepy.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 8:39pm

Post #3 of 12 (435 views)
Shortcut
The Charge of the Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

I always jump out of my chair trying so hard to keep up with Theoden . . . but he is ever before me hewing and singing!

The Grey Havens: Can anyone read of Sam, Merry, and Pippin's walk home alone without shedding a tear?

The meeting of Gandalf the White with the Three Hunters - masterful. "Gandalf, beyond all hope! Gandalf!"

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 16 2014, 11:56pm

Post #4 of 12 (399 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

"Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new tire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

Makes me cry every time. Beautiful and heartfelt. Nobody describes valor in battle like our Professor. That he could write such things after losing his best friends in battle is amazing to me. Tolkien understood the need to stand up to evil even at so great a cost. This is why there is nothing like him.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 17 2014, 12:04pm

Post #5 of 12 (379 views)
Shortcut
Even in its wilderness, the Shire feels like home. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never get that sense again until Ithilien, even though no one lives there, it feels like you could easily move in and enjoy it.

After the Shire is scoured, it remains an angsty part of the book, so it never feels like home the way it did at the beginning. (And that, of course, is the point.)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 2:09pm

Post #6 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
I thought I said that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well Tolkien put it a tad better than I.

Faithful servant yet Master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal Swift Snowmane.

-Albert Einstein

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 17 2014, 2:11pm

Post #7 of 12 (362 views)
Shortcut
Agree with all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

The homeliness is comforting. It makes for a comforting read.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 2:13pm

Post #8 of 12 (377 views)
Shortcut
Mine would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

... everything between Bag-End and Crickhollow.

... most of "The Council of Elrond".

... most of the Fellowship's Time in Eregion.

... most of what happens surrounding their travel on the Anduin.

There is perfection in TTT and RotK, too.

But this sense of adventure, history and mythology really peaks in some of those passages of FotR.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 17 2014, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 12 (358 views)
Shortcut
Yes you did [In reply to] Can't Post

But I like the quote so much I had to write it down.Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 17 2014, 6:00pm

Post #10 of 12 (348 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It always seems the moment we wake up in Rivendell we're no longer in Faerie. Kinda sad.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 8:07pm

Post #11 of 12 (343 views)
Shortcut
Yeah - Cause that's when the fit hits the shan // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Albert Einstein

imin
Valinor

Jun 17 2014, 9:40pm

Post #12 of 12 (413 views)
Shortcut
Perfect choices :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.