The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Shadow of Mordor: Wraith Identity

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 14 2014, 6:21pm

Post #1 of 23 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Shadow of Mordor: Wraith Identity Can't Post

Ok lets begin. We all know, and are excited for, the release of Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor on Oct.7. I watched the 2 hour live stream on twitch from Monolith productions and discussed all the aspects of the game. Although I badgered them a lot they wouldn't relent and tell us the identity of the wraith. Although they said that the wraiths identity is important both in the games story and the larger literary canon, they did not give any specific hints. They said that the wraiths identity is mentioned in the LoTR and especially in the appendices. Now, it seems that the Black Hand kills Talion and his family at the Black Gates, which he guards. I believe that this is where the wraith resided and possessed him to save his life. We know that the wraith HATES Sauron. Now I can only think of 3 people. Elendil, Isildur and Gil-Galad. The former and the Later died in Morder (correct me if I'm wrong). But many say its Isildur. Im not saying that wraiths are bound to a specific geographical location, we know they are not, but I'm wondering what the wraith was doing there at that time. Also, creators say that the wraith is so powerful that he presents a very serious threat to Sauron, like if Galadriel were to have possessed the One ring or if Gandalf possessed it!

So who do you think the wraith is?

-----------------------------------------------------
Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 11:04pm

Post #2 of 23 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure that the Wraith isn't supposed to be one of the Nine? [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen all of the promotional material, but I assumed that the Wraith was one of the Nazgul.

Shouldn't this be in Gaming & Collecting?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 14 2014, 11:08pm

Post #3 of 23 (1179 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

it is not one of the Nazgul. This is a new wraith, maybe a lesser wraith, that is an antagonist to Sauron.

Main: General discussion of Tolkien, LOTR and The Hobbit literary and movie related topics: news, opinions, rumours, games** and quizzes!

Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 11:35pm

Post #4 of 23 (1166 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was anyone other than Frodo documented in the canon/legendarium as having been killed by a Morgul-blade? That seems to be the surest way to become a lesser Wraith.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 12:25am

Post #5 of 23 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

however, Lesser wraith was just an idea. But as I said before the creators say that this wraith has the potential to seriously challenge Sauron.

I think that it has to be one of the three mentioned above (Elendil, Isildur or Gil-Galad). Which are all important characters in the Legendarium, all killed by Sauron (or his forces) and all mentioned either in the LoTR main text or appendices.

They all fit the criterion given to us by Monolith.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 15 2014, 4:00am

Post #6 of 23 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Should be fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to it. It is total fan fiction but it should be worth a buy to play around the Middle-earth sandbox.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 4:04am

Post #7 of 23 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so excited. There are so many elements that make it promising. Firstly, that its using the mechanics from assassins creed and the Batman games from WB, secondly, the writer was a lead writer from Red Dead Redemption and finally, Talion is being played by Troy Baker. It seems that we have good reason that the game will be great!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 15 2014, 4:54am

Post #8 of 23 (1143 views)
Shortcut
It could be Earnur, the last King of Gondor who "disappeared" [In reply to] Can't Post

He met the channge of the Witch-king in Minas Morgul and was never seen again.

I knew this game was coming out but wasn't really following anything about it from not being a gamer, but the speculation is rather fun.

Some info about Earnur.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jun 15 2014, 4:55am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 15 2014, 4:59am

Post #9 of 23 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Agreed to your agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have enjoyed all of those game or most of all of them anyways so I have high hopes. I also like that this game evolves as you go through it and the baddies change based on how you play.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 15 2014, 9:54am

Post #10 of 23 (1137 views)
Shortcut
I wonder whether the main character is going to turn out to be [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mouth of Sauron? He thinks he is doing it all for good but he gets used and by the end turns out evil. We know it can't end well because it has to lead into Lord of the Rings...

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 12:24pm

Post #11 of 23 (1120 views)
Shortcut
cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool idea, but it seems that he may have been in Sauron's service for a very long time, much before the game takes place. Also, the Mouth seems to have retained his physical form rather then becoming a wraith.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 12:29pm

Post #12 of 23 (1118 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the best idea I have seen on any forum. This is a real legitimate idea. Earnur may very well be the wraith who has a dying hatred for Sauron. Here is some info from LOTRO, although this doesn't jive with the theory maybe this game changed the lore since I do not believe it is cannon

In The Lord of the Rings Online, it is revealed that the Witch-king corrupted Eärnur into a Wraith soon after he entered Minas Morgul. Now known as Mordirith, he became known as the False King, Steward of Angmar. In a twisted mockery of the Stewards who replaced him, Mordirith ruled in Carn Dûm on the behalf of the Witch-king, suppressing any form of rebellion from the few Men that had not allied with Angmar. He was killed during the War of the Ring by the Elf Maiden Narmeleth, who felled him with the sword Dunachar. He was thrown into the void of Angmar after his death. Narmeleth was mortally wounded in this battle and died a few minutes later.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15 2014, 12:50pm

Post #13 of 23 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

By "lesser Wraith," Steve, I mean any Wraith other than the Nine, since the only methods of creating a Wraith that we know of are either through the use of one of Sauron's Rings of Power or through death by the poison of a Morgul-knife.

The theory of King Eärnur being the Wraith of Shadow of Mordor is an excellent suggestion. Mordirith and Narmeleth are creations from outside of Tolkien's legendarium, but if they work within the context of the game, so be it. It would not surprise me at all if these suggestions turn out to be correct.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 15 2014, 12:53pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 15 2014, 1:35pm

Post #14 of 23 (1109 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry if I got your topic moved unnecessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

The lines between the forums can seem a bit blurry at times.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 1:39pm

Post #15 of 23 (1105 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Who cares where it is really! its here, and we can discuss it!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2014, 6:24pm

Post #16 of 23 (1095 views)
Shortcut
E3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Any new news come out of E3 about this game? I didn't hear anything.

demnation
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 6:57pm

Post #17 of 23 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Tons [In reply to] Can't Post

There is lots of hands on previews floating around out there. The game was playable for the first time at E3. All very positive, as well. This game seems to be making waves.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 15 2014, 7:38pm

Post #18 of 23 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Yes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I have only heard great things about it. They have been showing off the game and really pushing the nemesis system which seems to be very detailed and interesting.

flameofudun
Lorien

Jun 18 2014, 2:01am

Post #19 of 23 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Celembrimbor is a strong possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been dwelling on the possibilities and celebrimbor sticks out.

Reasons I beleive this

- was wronged by sauron, betrayed with the ring situation in eregion

- his people were destroyed by sauron, and sauron mustered him, this he has a bone to pick

- knows the lore, history and secrets of the ring, which the devs have said is a major part of the game

- focus on hammers and anvils in wraith world (celebrimbor was a great smith)

- wraith looks elvish

-tolkien talks about how people might become wraiths if they died with an unfulfilled debt, and or stopped in guilt or dishonour. Celebrimbor's reason for being a wraith may be due to personal guilt on allowing such a great evil to enter the world, realizing saurons treachery and deception too late to prevent it, and maybe even the dishonour of treating with sauron

These are all my details. Look up celebrimbor on the lotr wikia for more details, if you wish.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

flameofudun
Lorien

Jun 18 2014, 2:08am

Post #20 of 23 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Actually, there are other ways. [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance

- in the silmarillion, a man(can't remember his name) was convinced to betray his lord (either beren or his father, it's been awhile) by sauron. He did this by promising his then dead wife. It states that he betrayed his companions, and allies, but sauron killed him nonetheless. It tells that after death he returned as a wraith, due to his dishonour. This he had the chance to warn his lord(beren I believe) I will read the silmarillion over next few days(that part) to get the details i forgot as a matter of fact.

-also we learn from the lead up for this game that talking became a wraith by being possessed by another wraith, and then created into a wraith himself from that.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Jun 18 2014, 2:14am

Post #21 of 23 (1076 views)
Shortcut
fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats an interesting analysis. I have yet to see on any other forums this character as a possibility. But you seem to have your facts down. I see this as a really possibility.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 2:49pm

Post #22 of 23 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Gorlim [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- in the silmarillion, a man(can't remember his name) was convinced to betray his lord (either beren or his father, it's been awhile) by sauron. He did this by promising his then dead wife. It states that he betrayed his companions, and allies, but sauron killed him nonetheless. It tells that after death he returned as a wraith, due to his dishonour. This he had the chance to warn his lord(beren I believe) I will read the silmarillion over next few days(that part) to get the details i forgot as a matter of fact.

According to the LotR Wiki, that would be Gorlim, son of Agrim, an Adan of the First House. He had a tragic story. Robert Foster records in The Compete Guide to Middle-earth, "Gorlim was one of the last twelve members of Barahir's outlaw band in Dorthonion. Captured by Sauron, Gorlim was tricked into betraying Barahir in return for being reunited with his beloved wife Eilinel. But the image of her which Gorlim saw was a phantom of Sauron's, and the reunion was in death."

Gorlim seems to be the only Wraith that Tolkien wrote of who wasn't created through a Ring or a Morgal-knife. However, his existence does set a precedent.

-also we learn from the lead up for this game that talking became a wraith by being possessed by another wraith, and then created into a wraith himself from that.

Talking? You mean Talion? I'm not sure that Talion is a Wraith, himself. Rather he is forced to share his body with the Wraith that has possessed it. However, he may be in danger of becoming a Wraith.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 18 2014, 2:59pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 3:08pm

Post #23 of 23 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Celebrimbor? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an interesting possibility. All of the Wraiths that Tolkien wrote of were originally Men. Celembrimbor would set a precedent by being the first Elf known to become a Wraith. If this seems unlikely to me, it is only because to my mind Celembrimbor redeemed himself when he perceived Sauron's treachery and hid the Three from him. Yet, he might still have been consumed by guilt for being tricked by Sauron in the first place.

I do have to say that the Wraith does not look especially Elvish to me, but he might be a member of the Edain from the First Age (see Gorlim in the above post).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 18 2014, 3:11pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.