The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Hike to Emerald Lake

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 9 (119 views)
Shortcut
Hike to Emerald Lake Can't Post

I'm always late to Fiesta; in the winter I'm teaching classes and in meetings all day on Fridays, and in the summer I have Fridays off and go hiking. So I post my hiking photos separately.

Uncle Baggins and I are particularly fat and out of shape this summer, but we did make it to Emerald Lake yesterday (only 1.6 miles each way.) There was a lot of snow; in some places it was drifted 10 and even 20 feet high. But it was melting fast and the streams were running high. We wore chains on our feet and took hiking poles, and were glad we did, but we saw folks in sneakers and even sandals slipping and sliding on the snowdrifts. The blue lake is Dream Lake, and the partially-frozen one is Emerald. Photos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 14 2014, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 9 (74 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous as always! [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture in the second line with the lake and mountains in the background, looks like the mountain puffed out a cloud. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 14 2014, 5:53pm

Post #3 of 9 (63 views)
Shortcut
AAaaaaaaahhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wants it Precious, I wants it now!!!!Evil

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 9 (67 views)
Shortcut
what kind of camera do you have? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those pictures are gorgeous.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 9 (63 views)
Shortcut
It's a little Canon Power Shot ELPH 115 IS [In reply to] Can't Post

It was given to me by my school in acknowledgement of the 30 years I've been there. It has an 8x optical zoom, and is small enough I keep it in my purse. I really love it.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 14 2014, 8:38pm

Post #6 of 9 (55 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! Flattop has somehow become a volcano... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 14 2014, 10:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (64 views)
Shortcut
*takes notes* [In reply to] Can't Post

My little camera recently succumbed to beach sand and high humidity, and has a major scratch on the lens. I'm in the market for a new one. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2014, 12:21am

Post #8 of 9 (41 views)
Shortcut
Are those stairsteps, or logs along that edge [In reply to] Can't Post

of the rock? They look so smooth!

What great hiking weather - shortsleeves and snow! Laugh You must have been surrounded with the sound of melting water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 16 2014, 11:48am

Post #9 of 9 (37 views)
Shortcut
Yes to both questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are stairsteps made out of logs. In the old days the path was a scramble over rocks, so the stairs are a big improvement.

Yep, there was rushing water everywhere. There's been some local flooding down here on the plains; we got a notice at work that Purchasing wasn't getting any deliveries from UPS because the UPS office was flooded. Two fishermen drowned in the rushing water a couple of weeks ago. A woman on the trail asked us if all that rushing water was coming just from melting snow. We said yes, and I was thinking later that pretty much all the water in the reservoirs, all the water we drink and use, comes from melting snow. Only a small fraction comes from rain.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.