The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Best Biography on Tolkien?

Bagheera
Bree

Jun 9 2014, 2:26pm

Post #1 of 8 (280 views)
Shortcut
Best Biography on Tolkien? Can't Post

I thought you lot were the best to ask this question. I'm looking to buy a biography on Professor Tolkien's life and I'd like to know anyone's opinion on the best one to get. I came upon some money recently (an Amazon giftcard) and realized, while I've studied the lives of Kipling and Lewis, and I've read many of Tolkien's books, I don't know much about the Professor's life. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I wasn't sure if it should be in the main area or here, since this is more about literature (even if I'm asking for a book ABOUT Tolkien rather than one authored by him).

Enjoy the trailer for my fantasy novel:
We Kill Death

squire
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 4:49pm

Post #2 of 8 (202 views)
Shortcut
Humphrey Carpenter, 'Tolkien: The Authorized Biography' (1977), Houghton Mifflin [In reply to] Can't Post

That's really the only one. Any others are derivative from this one, or else discredited by reviewers.

If you enjoy it, I'd recommend you then read The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien (2nd ed., 1995), edited by the same author with help from Christopher Tolkien.

Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth by John Garth (2003, Houghton Mifflin) focuses on Tolkien's life in the years when he began to write his Middle-earth legendarium. It has much new material that Carpenter did not focus on.

The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull (2006, Houghton Mifflin) is an encyclopedic and scholarly reference work that is not for the casual Tolkien fan. However, for those interested in Tolkien's biography it has the most amazingly detailed chronology of his life, literally reporting every known activity of his day to day life from birth to death, based on archival sources, letters, records, etc.!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bagheera
Bree

Jun 9 2014, 7:23pm

Post #3 of 8 (173 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, squire [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all very helpful information. The last one (Tolkien Companion and Guide) sounds pretty hilarious, all those details. I'm not sure I'm at that level of fan dedication yet.

I definitely want to read his letters one day too. Carpenter's biography was the one I was looking at though. Thanks for confirming that's the right pick.

We Kill Death

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 8:47pm

Post #4 of 8 (166 views)
Shortcut
mae govannen, bagheera! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen, bagheera. : )

squire has given you excellent recommendations, and i will add another -- very enthusiastic -- nod for "letters."

not only is it very illuminating about middle-earth details (backstory, origins, clarifications) and publishing adventures, etc., but tolkien's personality clearly comes through in them.... he is a very good writer of correspondence, full of personality.

enjoy! : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 9:00pm

Post #5 of 8 (164 views)
Shortcut
Did he admit in any letters [In reply to] Can't Post

to eating pony steaks at barbecues?

(I'm not sure what brought that up.)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 10 2014, 2:52am

Post #6 of 8 (152 views)
Shortcut
That pretty much covers it [In reply to] Can't Post

I would make the same recommendations, word for word.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 10 2014, 3:26am

Post #7 of 8 (151 views)
Shortcut
I second the Humphrey carpenter [In reply to] Can't Post

As it is official and the only one I have read. It's written in a very enjoyable style not dry like some biographies are.Smile

Bagheera
Bree

Jun 10 2014, 9:50pm

Post #8 of 8 (180 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, and thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read many of C. S. Lewis' letters and feel like it was a wonderful way to get to know what the man was really like, and what he thought about his creations. I will certainly read Tolkien's letters one day too; the bits I've seen from other books were enlightening.

We Kill Death

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.