The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A Middle-earth landscapes Pinterest project

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 6:14pm

Post #1 of 25 (419 views)
Shortcut
A Middle-earth landscapes Pinterest project Can't Post

I've started a collection of photographs which appear to illustrate Middle-earth (whilst being places or things in real life).

The ideal is that each image should be captioned with a Tolkien quote, though I've already succumbed to "that's great! Ill caption it later." Hmm- let's see if I do.

The fledgling collection is here: http://www.pinterest.com/...-real-life-pictures/

Happy to make this a group board if anyone would like to collaborate- you'd need to pm me an email address or Pinterest name, I think ( haven't done a group board before, but feel I'll figure it out...). You will need a Pinterest account to help, but those are free & easy to set up.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 6:49pm

Post #2 of 25 (333 views)
Shortcut
That Rivendell photo is sublime [In reply to] Can't Post

Suggestion:

Shadows had fallen in the valley below, but there was still a light on the faces of the mountains far above. The air was warm. The sound of running and falling water was loud, and the evening was filled with a faint scent of trees and flowers, as if summer still lingered in Elrond’s gardens.

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 226). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 8 2014, 7:20pm

Post #3 of 25 (334 views)
Shortcut
Please add me! [In reply to] Can't Post

My username is Snape Loves Lily. Just put my name in the search box. I would love to contribute. I am a pinterest addict. Lol

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 8:01pm

Post #4 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
Another great caption! Added!// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 8:21pm

Post #5 of 25 (317 views)
Shortcut
For Mordor, possibly: [In reply to] Can't Post

Day was coming again in the world outside, and far beyond the glooms of Mordor the Sun was climbing over the eastern rim of Middle-earth; but here all was still dark as night.

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 917). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. ("The Land of Shadow")

or:

It seemed light in that dark land to his eyes that had passed through the den of night. The great smokes had risen and grown thinner, and the last hours of a sombre day were passing; the red glare of Mordor had died away in sullen gloom.

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 723). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. ("Shelob's Lair")

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 8:31pm

Post #6 of 25 (315 views)
Shortcut
That's great, DaughterofLaketown. [In reply to] Can't Post

Having some technical trouble adding you on Pinterest though (probably what old style computer folks call an "ID-10T error": i.e. I can't see how to do it) - I've PM'd you to see if we can sort it out.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 25 (312 views)
Shortcut
Bravo again! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like, if I don't put in the caption when I add the image, I need to add a caption by commenting. The plus side is that the image can then have any number of quotations attached to is.

Unable to choose, I chose "both".Wink

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 8:58pm

Post #8 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
A couple of more images I really like [In reply to] Can't Post

Wetlands of Estonia: http://i.imgur.com/d3BnZ5e.jpg.
Worcestershire, England: http://i2.minus.com/inP1gf2IcqKK4.jpg. Hmm... the Shire? Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 9:08pm

Post #9 of 25 (309 views)
Shortcut
I can do the Estonian one - Midgewater! [In reply to] Can't Post

The ground now became damp, and in places boggy and here and there they came upon pools, and wide stretches of reeds and rushes filled with the warbling of little hidden birds. " LOTR -"A Knife In The Dark"

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 9:12pm

Post #10 of 25 (306 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8 2014, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 25 (296 views)
Shortcut
*gasp!* Beautiful! What a great idea!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 10:12pm

Post #12 of 25 (299 views)
Shortcut
That Midgewater photo is breath-taking [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot how funny this passage of the book is, so I'm quoting it in full to select from. Sam's comment is particularly good, and I like the part about "evil relatives of the cricket." Sauron, you have met your match! (I'm not sure which 500 characters would be best to use.)

They were far beyond the borders of the Bree-land, out in the pathless wilderness, and drawing near to the Midgewater Marshes.
The ground now became damp, and in places boggy and here and there they came upon pools, and wide stretches of reeds and rushes filled with the warbling of little hidden birds. They had to pick their way carefully to keep both dry-footed and on their proper course. At first they made fair progress, but as they went on, their passage became slower and more dangerous. The marshes were bewildering and treacherous, and there was no permanent trail even for Rangers to find through their shifting quagmires. The flies began to torment them, and the air was full of clouds of tiny midges that crept up their sleeves and breeches and into their hair.
‘I am being eaten alive!’ cried Pippin. ‘Midgewater! There are more midges than water!’
‘What do they live on when they can’t get hobbit?’ asked Sam, scratching his neck.
They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp , cold, and uncomfortable ; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (pp. 182-183). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. ("A Knife in the Dark")

Glassary
Rivendell

Jun 8 2014, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 25 (286 views)
Shortcut
Started following your board [In reply to] Can't Post

Would live a group board if you do one.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 1:01am

Post #14 of 25 (283 views)
Shortcut
I'm following too [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the idea.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 4:05am

Post #15 of 25 (290 views)
Shortcut
Here's my personal Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how Pinterest works, but you're welcome to include it if you want to and know how. This is Forest Canyon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Uncle Baggins took the photo when we were there at dawn one year. Forest Canyon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 7:56am

Post #16 of 25 (280 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for these enthusiastic responses! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm including these suggestions as quickly as I can (should I miss one it's because I forgot, please do remind me!)

I'm discovering that the difficult thing is to find the image and the quotation at the same time.

So I've started a second board http://www.pinterest.com/.../middle-earth-w-i-p/ as a holding pen for images that clearly should be in, but for which I haven't a suitable caption yet (w i p means "work in progress"). Very happy to have captions suggested (CuriousG is good at this, isn't he!!). I'll move images off to the main board once we've a caption.

Why don't we use this thread for quotations that are crying out to be used as a caption for an image? Please feel free to post quotations that would be good, & then we'll see what we can collectively find by way of illustration. That way we have words to marry up & images to marry up.

For example, next time I have a moment I'm going to see what ruins I could use as an illustration for the "high they builded us but they are gone quote" (If I've remembered that right). But if someone can suggest a nice image, suggest away!

There's a 500-character limit for quotations/captions - a bit of a problem for some Tolkien quotes!.

Re turning this into what pinterest calls a "group board", so that others can do the actual posting of images - I think I 've just figured that out - I seem to have invited daughterofLaketown now, lets see if that works, then I can post instructions for anyone else wanting to collaborate that way

Anyway, excellent start!

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jun 9 2014, 8:05am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 7:57am

Post #17 of 25 (270 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant - can anyone caption it with a quotation? [In reply to] Can't Post

For now it is on my board of lovely images needing a caption http://www.pinterest.com/.../middle-earth-w-i-p/

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 8:26am

Post #18 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps ... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the next day they set out thither, following Mîm to Amon Rûdh. [..] And as the men of Turin's band drew near, the sun westering broke through the clouds, and fell upon the crown; and the seregon was all in flower. Then one among them said : "There is blood on the hill-top."

Though, the description of Amon Rûdh doesn't share much significance with this landscape. I couldn't remember any other "red blood" or "poppy" quotes.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 4:36pm

Post #19 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
I did a somewhat related project [In reply to] Can't Post

I was putting images to quotes but not confining them to scenery.

Any of you are welcome to look through these to get idea of some quotes that are or could be put to images of scenery.

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/quotecards/index.htm

I'm sorry the quotes are all in image format so the text can't be swiped, copied and pasted. And to be honest, I did condense some excerpts to get them to fit the format. So if you like a quote, you should check the book for the full quotation. But I provide citation so it should be too hard.

In some cases, I might have the original large version of the image I used. You could PM or email me if you're struggling to find a good image and want the one I used.

Since my personal project is kept semi-private (I put it out there but not in any large way), I am not overly concerned with getting permission to use images. I don't know what limitations there are to what images can be posted to Pinterest which is one thing that keeps me from pinning images from the web.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 9 2014, 4:37pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 6:22pm

Post #20 of 25 (250 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great idea! I love these photos...hmmm so far I think my favorite is Eagle Creek at Sunrise. I can't believe that's a real place. It's a great fit for Rivendell. And Tunnel Vision for the Old Forest. And the one for Mordor, lol. they're all really great.

Nice work! I'll keep a watch out for any others I might happen across in my internet travels Smile.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 8:43pm

Post #21 of 25 (247 views)
Shortcut
A quotation looking for a matching image [In reply to] Can't Post

The leaves of trees were glistening, and every twig was dripping; the grass was grey with cold dew. Everything was still, and far-away noises seemed near and clear: fowls chattering in a yard, someone closing a door of a distant house.

FOTR, Ch. 6

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jun 9 2014, 8:44pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 10 2014, 8:19am

Post #22 of 25 (234 views)
Shortcut
How to collaborate on those Pinterest boards [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked it out, and already there are 2 of us (collaborator #1 being DaughterofLaketown). If you'd like to collaborate too (By being able to post images direct to that pin board,in addition to or instead of making suggestions from this thread), here's what I need you to do so I can invite you.

1) You need a pinterest account.

2) Observe the URL of one of your Pinterest boards - e.g. my board http://www.pinterest.com/...-real-life-pictures/
is in full
"http://www.pinterest.com/baker2378/tolkiens-middle-earth-in-real-life-pictures/"
You can see how that works:
http://www.pinterest.com/, then...
your user name (mine is "baker2378") ...
then the board name (in this case "tolkiens-middle-earth-in-real-life-pictures")

For me to invite you as a contributor to the board, you need to post your equivalent to "baker2378", or PM it to me. It would also be helpful to have your "account name" which appears on some places in your pinterest account (for example, it says "Chris Baker" not "baker2378" at the top of my Pinterest home page. "Chris Baker" is my account name).

3) I'll invite you both to the board of "finished ones http://www.pinterest.com/...-real-life-pictures/

...and to the board i have for lovely images which I haven't found a caption for yet:
http://www.pinterest.com/.../middle-earth-w-i-p/

4) Pinterest will send you an invite, you accept that invite, & you're in.

You can of course "follow" these boards, but so can anyone else who is just casually interested, so I'm not going to invite everyone who follows, as that might be making a nuisance of myself.

I notice Magpie raised the issue of being fair to the original photographers, & copyright issues. Its an important point. We should pin from what appears to be the original image, including a link back, and the photographers own caption & name. Sites like 500px (which I've used extensively so far) are ideal not only in terms of the quality of the work, but in that they have a "Pin" button showing what's ok to pin. That also automatically sorts out a link back to the photographer, so that people can check out his/ her other work. Conversely, some sites - e.g. National Geographic - are rigged so that you get a message not to pin, if you try to. So we should respect that. We probably won't have pictures of people or branded items, but if we do, we should be careful re people featured in images potentially being upset by the combination of their image with the caption. Given those rules & that we are not pretending someone else's works are our own, or trying to profit from someone else's work without their agreement, I think we won't cause any offence.

If we do accidentally upset anyone, Pinterest have mechanisms to take down any content the owner doesn't want included, or included in that way. Of course I would want to remove such items immediately and without argument.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 10 2014, 10:49pm

Post #23 of 25 (215 views)
Shortcut
"Dreamland" [In reply to] Can't Post

... looks like the Door of the Dead. Or Eol's house in the Silmarillion.
The ruin on the hill is absolutely Dol Guldur-ish!

(This post was edited by Na Vedui on Jun 10 2014, 10:51pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 10 2014, 10:53pm

Post #24 of 25 (214 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I'm in Rohan!// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 10 2014, 11:56pm

Post #25 of 25 (224 views)
Shortcut
I thought of Paths of the Dead too [In reply to] Can't Post

It has the drawback that there's a light shining out instead of a beckoning gloom, but we could pretend it's a ghoulish light (or infrared or something):

"And so they came at last deep into the glen; and there stood a sheer wall of rock, and in the wall the Dark Door gaped before them like the mouth of night. Signs and figures were carved above its wide arch too dim to read, and fear flowed from it like a grey vapour."

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 786). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. ("The Passing of the Grey Company")

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.