Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Aight

SaulComposer
Rohan

Jun 12, 4:02pm

Views: 51
Shortcut
Aight [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The meaning of words is important.

And who disagreed with that?

I'm no preacher or a politician…

Subject User Time
Did he really dislike 'Allegory'? SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 2:38am
    Yes, in the context of interpreting LotR. squire Send a private message to squire Jun 6, 3:14am
        To clarify further... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 6, 3:26am
            You have made some points but... SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 4:04am
                Bear in mind that this letter was to a Jesuit, Fr. Robert Murray, Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 6, 4:41am
                    I just don't get the apologetics here SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 5:38am
                        The problem is in the definition of "allegory". Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 6, 6:36am
                            Agreed. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jun 6, 9:03am
                            definitions Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Jun 6, 12:15pm
                                Is this... Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Jun 10, 11:12pm
                            Perhaps a more demonstrative book... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 2:05pm
                            Read this... SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 2:14pm
                                There is a difference. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 2:29pm
                                    Semantics SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 4:17pm
                                        Nope. Definitions. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 5:17pm
                                            Yes… SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 5:25pm
                                                About that... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 6, 7:14pm
                                                    Its not faith SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 7:20pm
                                                        Faith. Trust. Confidence. Whatever. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 6, 7:26pm
                                                            That's fine SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 7:30pm
                                                                Can't argue with belief. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 7:55pm
                                                                    Opinions are great SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 8:00pm
                                                                        The worth of opinions depends on context. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 8:33pm
                                                                            Allegory SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 8:44pm
                                                                                "The question is",... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 8:48pm
                                                                                    Yes you can SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 8:51pm
                                                                                        Definitely "varied". Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 9:05pm
                                                                                            What is that have to do with this topic? SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 9:36pm
                                                                                                In principio erat verbum. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 12, 3:53pm
                                                                                                    Aight SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 12, 4:02pm
                                                                                        The passage from Wikipedia BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jun 6, 9:12pm
                                                                                        Understanding what people mean by things dreamflower Send a private message to dreamflower Jun 7, 12:19am
                                                                                And if we define "allegory" as "candy".... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 12, 1:13pm
                                                                                    mods +way+ up! // : ) lol! Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 12, 1:54pm
                                                                                    I thought allegory was a cousin of the alligator CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 12, 2:14pm
                                                                                    He DIDN'T?! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jun 12, 2:18pm
                                                Try the OED. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 6, 7:15pm
                                        You are ignoring my point re his intent in this letter. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 7, 2:15am
                                    I think the foreword is pretty clear on what Tolkien meant by 'allegory'… noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 6, 8:33pm
                                To use your definition... nandorin elf Send a private message to nandorin elf Jun 6, 4:43pm
                                    Applicability SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 5:00pm
                                        We'll have to agree to disagree on this :) // nandorin elf Send a private message to nandorin elf Jun 6, 7:36pm
                            I agree with your definition of allegory HeWhoArisesinMight Send a private message to HeWhoArisesinMight Jun 8, 12:31am
                        Because you believe it does not make it so. Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 8, 2:52am
    If the good Professor does say he dislikes allegory Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jun 6, 9:43am
    I think what he didn't like was heavy preaching and moralizing. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Jun 6, 10:13pm
        Thanks for agreeing with my position SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 6, 11:00pm
            No problem. For a man who seemed to hate allegory he sure used it a lot! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Jun 6, 11:54pm
            Sorry for my spelling mistakes DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Jun 7, 1:01am
                What's scarier is that my autocorrect has got so inured to my Tolkien typing that autocorrects Tolkien terms INTO what I'm writing :) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 2:08pm
    Of course it was a Catholic work dreamflower Send a private message to dreamflower Jun 6, 11:58pm
        'Is this a fundamentally Catholic work?', asked Pippin, staring out of it with wonder. noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 10:34am
            [:D], indeed. Bravo, n.W.m.! Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jun 8, 11:03am
            Where's the like button when you need one? ;) // BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jun 8, 12:36pm
                Just write...*Mods Up*! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jun 9, 2:38am
                    Thanks for the tip! :) // BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Jun 9, 5:42pm
            ROFL!!! // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 8, 2:52pm
            tolkien stated he disliked allegory... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 9, 2:52am
                He was also not fond of French food CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 9, 9:10am
                    "crepes?!!!!" Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 9, 5:54pm
                    He wasn't too fond of French anything squire Send a private message to squire Jun 9, 6:29pm
                        French Cheese-related early FOTR draft noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 10, 5:30pm
                But..... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jun 9, 10:09pm
                    Here's what the professors said on allegory. Glassary Send a private message to Glassary Jun 9, 11:51pm
    Could you give specific examples of allegory in LOTR HeWhoArisesinMight Send a private message to HeWhoArisesinMight Jun 7, 11:50pm
        Words and Meanings SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 4:09am
            Statements must be taken in context. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 8, 4:44am
                Dear Elizabeth SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 4:57am
                    More a difference in emphasis than a lie, I think :-)// Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 8, 5:01am
                        His wording in the letter is crystal clear SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 5:33am
                            "fundamentally", but not "overtly" or "explicitly" religious - Tolkien's balancing act noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 10:08am
                                'Of course'... SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 2:35pm
                                    'And no one can talk to a horse...' squire Send a private message to squire Jun 8, 3:40pm
                                    I'm not sure I can help you then, SaulComposer noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 3:53pm
                                        I believe him SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 4:21pm
                                            Then you've answered your own question. Congratulations. noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 4:58pm
                                            here's why we are at an impasse FrogmortonJustice65 Send a private message to FrogmortonJustice65 Jun 9, 2:11am
                                                The Big Apple SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 9, 3:31pm
                                                    Tolkien's remark referred to his definition of allegory. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 10, 2:41am
                                                    I can tell you without equivocation that LotR is not an allegory.... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 10, 3:58am
                                                        As a classical composer, pianist, poet, and a writer I say .... SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 10, 1:30pm
                                                            I have found innumerable errors in Wiki over the years... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 10, 2:48pm
                                                                No one said its perfect... SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 11, 12:20am
                                                                    well... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 11, 12:36am
                                                                    So, let me get this straight.... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 11, 1:23am
                                                                        I have a different take on this SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 11, 1:37am
                                                                            One last thing, for clarity's sake.... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 11, 2:29am
                                Symbols vs feelings Terazed Send a private message to Terazed Jun 8, 7:26pm
                                    Crystal clear, to me at least. Thanks! CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 8, 7:51pm
                                        I agree - very helpful! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 8, 8:43pm
                                            yes Terazed Send a private message to Terazed Jun 9, 2:39am
                    I agree DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Jun 8, 2:53pm
                        :) SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 8, 3:14pm
            Off Topic: Spelling quirk. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 8, 3:46pm
    We really missed the opportunity EomundDaughter Send a private message to EomundDaughter Jun 8, 1:13pm
    And your point is? elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Jun 11, 8:54pm
        Allegory and Specifics SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 11, 9:52pm
            Allegory - specific and general meanings Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 11, 10:14pm
                You used the word 'everything' not me SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 11, 11:21pm
                    Allegory is like a box of chocolates.... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 12, 2:29pm
                        I gather SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Jun 12, 3:30pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.