The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Film 4 interview with PJ

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 3 2014, 11:03am

Post #1 of 20 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Film 4 interview with PJ Can't Post

This vid is about a year old, but I thought now would be a cool time to revisit and discuss it:

http://youtu.be/kIhYUJaTa_w

In light of things like Viggo's comments and knowing how the Hobbit films have turned out it's really interesting to see PJ speak about LotR retrospectively.

Two things I find particularly interesting are:

1. PJ saying he wanted CG Ringwraiths. Most of us already knew this, but it's interesting that he brings it up again a decade later, after making King Kong and Hobbit. I'm really glad we got the Ringwraiths that we have, they're much more eerie as physical beings.

2. Regretting Sean Astin didn't get an Oscar? This is interesting in light of how negatively Sean Astin has spoken about certain aspects of the films. Although his performance certainly deserved acknowledgement, I wonder whether Sean had high hopes of an award and perhaps didn't take it too well when it didn't happen?

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2014, 2:55pm

Post #2 of 20 (670 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as for the Ringwraiths: I am glad we got what we got. I am quite favourable of the CGI we get with TH movies, but the Ringwraiths are too good to risk, imho. Though it would have been interesting to see how he would have done them via CGI.

Sean Astin... I guess PJ and SA must have talked about aspects of SA's book and how it came about. SA certainly thought himself deserving, after what I read in his book, and apparantly PJ & Co also deemed it possible. SA in general feels... let's say.... under-appreciated by Hollywood. At least he did at the time he wrote his book.

Myself, I was astonished by what SA was able to pull of in RotK. I did not see him as a great actor (a good one, but not great). I could see several people noticing the energy he brought to Samwise particularly in the RotK scenes and may have encouraged him to think a nomination was within reach.

He did accomplish something great - especially in RotK - but imho not Oscar-worthy. Certainly not against the competition in 2004 (Alan Alda, Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman , Thomas Haden Church, Clive Owen).

The Oscar-worthy performances of all three Ring-movies are imho McKellen and Bean in FotR.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Jun 3 2014, 4:13pm

Post #3 of 20 (669 views)
Shortcut
Yes that interview is really good. [In reply to] Can't Post

It'd been a while since I'd seen it thanks for posting! But I really hope the Wraiths won't be CG if they appear in BOFA Crazy

Annatar598
Rohan

Jun 4 2014, 10:53am

Post #4 of 20 (612 views)
Shortcut
We don't really know if the Ringwraiths would've looked better or worse [In reply to] Can't Post

CGI. I don't think its fair to assume that given that the same logic could have been applied to Gollum.

I really have no opinion on this matter other than the fact that I'm very happy at the end result. The Nazgul do look creepy as hell. It's just that battle on Weathertop that makes them look rather like guys in costume.

PJ is great at interviews. We need more!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 4 2014, 1:58pm

Post #5 of 20 (589 views)
Shortcut
That was cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing. I love little things like that.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 4 2014, 4:08pm

Post #6 of 20 (591 views)
Shortcut
This is a great PJ interview [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/IsDHxbLR6fE

Mostly about his older stuff.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2014, 12:03pm

Post #7 of 20 (493 views)
Shortcut
Well, given how goofy the "ghost" ringwraith looked in AUJ, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad he didn't have the capability to give us cgi wraiths in LotR. Dude needs a lot of reigning in it seems.

Annatar598
Rohan

Jun 8 2014, 12:10pm

Post #8 of 20 (498 views)
Shortcut
The ghost Nazgul looked good enough [In reply to] Can't Post

... For a ghost Nazgul in barely a 13 second scene.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 8 2014, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 20 (489 views)
Shortcut
Shell Shocked - CGI Incoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think its fair to assume that given that the same logic could have been applied to Gollum.

Given Jackson's juvenile overindulgences, things like the bunny sled, and physics-free Goblintown, it's entirely a fair concern from shell-shocked fans of The Hobbit.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 8 2014, 4:16pm

Post #10 of 20 (479 views)
Shortcut
Nagzul [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, that scene on Weathertop doesn't seem authentic. It's one I fast-forward through when I re-watch the movies because it's not scary and the choreographed action feels clumsy to the point it's distracting. Would CGI Gollum-style have made that scene smoother? Maybe. But when they chase Arwen & Frodo to the Ford, it's thrilling and feels very real, and CGI couldn't improve on that.

There's something about their hoods that seems exaggerated, which given the need for lighting in a movie, I'm sure was required so we couldn't see their faces, but the starchy-stiff nature of their hoods sticking way out over their faces is another thing that's distracting. CGI might have made improved on that. (*might*)

Name
Rohan

Jun 8 2014, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 20 (482 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually love the Weathertop scene, and still find it a little creepy. Sure, the action with Aragorn could have been done better, but I still love the parts leading up to that.

And I always thought that their faces were blacked out using some sort of CGI, but maybe I'm mistaken.......?

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2014, 4:28pm

Post #12 of 20 (482 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't disagree with you more. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Black Riders were perfect in LotR as far as i'm concerned, And their misshapen, ghostly form in Fellowship looked fantastic, and feels a lot more haunting than the floaty, cartoony version in AUJ.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 3:20pm

Post #13 of 20 (442 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first trailer the lighter black see-through fabric covering one rider's face can be clearly seen, so doubltless they were obscured in post production cgi.

Personally I didn't care for the Arwen/Nazgul chase scene, but that was because of what I felt was poor editing.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 20 (420 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Personally I didn't care for the Arwen/Nazgul chase scene, but that was because of what I felt was poor editing.

The more I watch that scene, the more the editing stands out. Many shots feel in place just to arrive at the helicopter 'Nazgul chase-formation shot'. That's the one that comes to mind the quickest.

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 9 2014, 7:54pm

Post #15 of 20 (427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

This is interesting in light of how negatively Sean Astin has spoken about certain aspects of the films.

Haven't heard about this, someone wanna fill me in?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 9 2014, 9:23pm

Post #16 of 20 (437 views)
Shortcut
Sean Astin's comments [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't pretend to follow him closely, but wrote a book, There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale, which was apparently fairly negative about his experience in the LOTR movies. I didn't feel like buying it and just read a bunch of reviews of it on Amazon, most of which were harsh and complained that he complained too much, though a few people lauded him for being candid when Hollywood types usually gush about everyone else whether they like them or not. OTOH, it was probably unwise to be so candid and will probably torpedo his career. Tantamount to spouting off and telling people what you really think of them, which might feel good at the time, but fills you with regret later. It also seems to focus more on his life than on behind-the-scenes info, which is why a lot of readers were disappointed in it--they wanted to learn more about how the movies were made from the inside, not read about him complaining about his weight, and who didn't like him enough, and how he deserved an Oscar, etc.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 9 2014, 9:34pm

Post #17 of 20 (421 views)
Shortcut
Editing vs Fate vs Reality [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

The more I watch that scene, the more the editing stands out. Many shots feel in place just to arrive at the helicopter 'Nazgul chase-formation shot'. That's the one that comes to mind the quickest.

Doesn't an entire movie consist of an intentionally designed sequence of predetermined scenes meant to lead us to a predetermined ending? This seems to be an existential objection to how film can be seen as fate, inexorably leading us frame by frame to the definite end whereas reality is a bit different, albeit sometimes almost as obvious and predictable, filled with indefinite and infinite possibilities over an infinite time. So maybe the editing was too obvious, but I can't fault the nature of film for being something of a railroad.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 10 2014, 2:15pm

Post #18 of 20 (387 views)
Shortcut
Editing versus time [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Doesn't an entire movie consist of an intentionally designed sequence of predetermined scenes meant to lead us to a predetermined ending?

In this case, no. Jackson kept intending to edit the hours and hours of footage into a specifically designed sequence, but in the end, the scene was edited at virtually the last minute by the second unit directors. (If I recall correctly Rick Porras and Barry Osborne.) The shots are good, especially the V formation, but it really drags, and in the latter part it seems like they’re running around in circles, then it ends too abruptly. It really needed to be shot tighter, with at least a vague awareness of where the finish line was to help build and keep tension.

The chase of The Three Hunters in TTT suffers from similar problems for much the same reasons. Individually all the shots are striking and dynamic: Static, following, tracking, helicopter, and close, long, extremely long, not to mention the heat distortion one. The quick editing imparts a sense of urgency to the scene. But as a whole the sense of narrative is just not there. (Again, the second unit director was Osborne, who I believe also ended up doing the last minute editing when Jackson realized he had no time to do it.)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Jun 12 2014, 1:09am

Post #19 of 20 (370 views)
Shortcut
Lotrs was fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ringwraiths were perfect as they were... Speaks volumes about where pj's head is at now if he still wishes they were cgi

Reminds me of Lucas something shocking!

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 14 2014, 1:41pm

Post #20 of 20 (406 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

And in the wide shot of the wraith in AUJ, I'm still trying to figure out if it's a guy in a costume or digital but it looks that realistic (only in the more distant shot though).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.