The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"A farmer used to live here"

trqn13
Bree

Jun 2 2014, 11:58am

Post #1 of 9 (1765 views)
Shortcut
"A farmer used to live here" Can't Post

Having rewatched recently, This line in the AUJ confuses me, it is said like there is some backround to it, any help?

cheers

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 2 2014, 12:01pm

Post #2 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the background is that it foreshadows the new rise of Evil in Middle-earth.... including trolls coming further South than they apparantly used to - pilliging farms of the few settlers who lived in the Trollshaws. It is one of the indicators Gandalf has for his fear which he also later shares with the White Council.

(All movie-verse.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 2 2014, 9:35pm

Post #3 of 9 (1127 views)
Shortcut
It was Bombadil ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who was eaten. And it nicely explains his absence in the LOTR films.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 2 2014, 9:40pm

Post #4 of 9 (1052 views)
Shortcut
rofl // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 2 2014, 10:37pm

Post #5 of 9 (1057 views)
Shortcut
What about farmer maggot?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2014, 10:45pm

Post #6 of 9 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Maggot is in Fellowship! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's the one chasing Merry and Pippin making them run into Sam and Frodo

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 3 2014, 1:20am

Post #7 of 9 (1060 views)
Shortcut
It's fairly self-explanatory. [In reply to] Can't Post

The background is that a farmer used to live in the place where the ruin of the farm is, where they stop. The fact that it is ruined and that all signs of the farmer being still there are absent, suggests that there is no farmer living there anymore. Hence the line.

Given that randomly abandoning good farmland is unlikely, it is something worth noting that the farmland has been abandoned. This suggests that something nasty may have happened here. In which case, it might not be a good idea to use it as a camping ground.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2014, 2:11am

Post #8 of 9 (1042 views)
Shortcut
The trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

The trolls talk about eating a farmer and still picking bits of him out of their teeth Wink

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 4 2014, 3:37pm

Post #9 of 9 (891 views)
Shortcut
"what's LEFT of the old farmer - euuuuuuuw" [In reply to] Can't Post

"better than what's left of the old farmer - I'm still picking bits of him out of my teeth"

When I think about it, combined with the creepy images and descriptions of the set from the WETA books which filled the cave with junk and disturbing made totems -

the farm and land had been abandoned for a while, so I get the impression the farmer had been "cough" consumed over time based on the actual line - euuuuuw. No wonder the trolls were so happy to be scooping up ponies and catching some nice juicy fresh dwarves.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.