The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien's Trek in the Swiss Alps

Glaurung63
Lorien

May 30 2014, 9:12pm

Post #1 of 7 (224 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Trek in the Swiss Alps Can't Post

I read the article on BBC.com today that is also on TORn...Tolkien hiked through the Alps and it inspired him, when he was 19. I kind of followed the locations on Google Earth and I think I know the general route he took....but I am wondering...did Tolkien leave an itinerary, and how can I get it??? Wouldn't it be great to follow in his footsteps??? Has it happened and I missed out?? It would be great for Swiss tourism to promote a Tolkien Trek map, perhaps leading to that museum of artifacts, which sounds like a must see. People could take the map and self guide, or sign up for group treks....
Has this happened and I just don't know???

Brennil Caladiel
The Shire

May 31 2014, 12:02am

Post #2 of 7 (155 views)
Shortcut
found something [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the same article and really want to take a similar trip too! I did a little bit of research and came up with this: https://www.alpenwild.com/trip/details/in-the-footsteps-of-tolkien/

i don't know anything about it but it looks interesting!

Glaurung63
Lorien

May 31 2014, 3:16am

Post #3 of 7 (141 views)
Shortcut
They have it planned! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow...checked out the link...looks like a great trip...I don't have those dates available now, but perhaps in the future...if I have the map though, I could book lodging...some places look like I could stay at least a week...to soak it in!!

Moahunter
Rohan

May 31 2014, 5:57am

Post #4 of 7 (138 views)
Shortcut
Been reported before..... [In reply to] Can't Post

see it here http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=532685#532685

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 31 2014, 6:13pm

Post #5 of 7 (149 views)
Shortcut
I took the first Alpenwild Tolkien tour [In reply to] Can't Post

You can read my report on it. Greg of Alpenwild plans to repeat it. (There's a link in my piece.) All of us on the first tour had a great time.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jun 1 2014, 4:29am

Post #6 of 7 (104 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great trip!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, great report on your trip, I checked out their itineraries and they go in June and October...I'm working then, bummer, but will write them about possible July/August trips...they seem to have it planned well...

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jun 1 2014, 4:31am

Post #7 of 7 (127 views)
Shortcut
Sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.