Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Children of Hurin Chapter Discussion: The Land of Bow and Helm
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 2 2014, 12:02pm

Post #26 of 29 (76 views)
Shortcut
Your petty joke has me laughing out loud. // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2014, 5:54am

Post #27 of 29 (35 views)
Shortcut
A Cat is never late. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a quick thought, so as to keep me up to date with where discussions have been the past two weeks. Catching up on everything this weekend! Last week was quick a wild ride.

Answering your last, more general question:

As others have said, Turin is taking more of a 'YOLO' approach to the situation (You Only Live Once, if anyone is unfamiliar with the acronym). Living in the present, he's not considering the larger picture (whether one means 1 or 5 years from now, or beyond his lifespan and into subsequent generations). He receives pleasure from acts that have no concrete benefit to ending the larger struggle against Morgoth--something Beleg feels within him deeper, although he never seems to consider this in such a direct way. What he's doing is working now, and he's taking some pleasure in it.

Beleg's actions and words seem to me as saying, "So what are we really out to accomplish here? What's at the end of all these days here?" He sees that Turin is drawing attention to himself, without fortifying his resources in a way that ensures their existence in the future. I wonder what would've happened if Beleg tried to take more control of their situation? Would any of the men leave Turin for him? Undoubtedly the Elves would do so.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2014, 6:45pm

Post #28 of 29 (44 views)
Shortcut
Ever hear of YODO? (No. he's not that green alien from Star Wars!) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I ask everyone who uses YOLO as an excuse for stupidity: 'Great! Ever hear of YODO?' 'No....' is the invariable response. Then I explain, 'Remember, You only die once too.'

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2014, 1:23am

Post #29 of 29 (209 views)
Shortcut
Never late, just playing with a mouse I'm sure ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your point about Beleg and the long term goals...as an Elf he looks further ahead, maybe even the defeat of Morgoth or the fall of Arda in the distant future being a part of his expected (but not guaranteed in this hroa) life span. Yet Turin never will; his expected span of life will be this one set of actions and one very connected thread. I suppose this is almost like part of the Gift of Men, that ability to only deal with what's at hand and detach from the world's future?

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.