The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A thread on an often ignored character
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 28 2014, 11:08pm

Post #26 of 34 (254 views)
Shortcut
It's perfectly fine. It's funny you mention Buckingham because I have read an English history book [In reply to] Can't Post

In which there is a personage called Buckingham throughout the whole book, when that is only his title and not his name. This does seem to be common in England.
Heart

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on May 28 2014, 11:09pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 29 2014, 2:43am

Post #27 of 34 (242 views)
Shortcut
"More dangerous and less wise." [In reply to] Can't Post

The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong, even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise. For most of them (together with their scattered relations in the hills and mountains) were descended from the ancient tribes that never went to Faerie in the West. There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft in the making of beautiful and marvelous things, before some came back into the Wide World. In the Wide World the Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars; and they wandered in the great forests that grew tall in lands that are now lost. They dwelt most often by the edges of the woods, from which they could escape at times to hunt, or to ride and run over the open lands by moonlight or starlight; and after the coming of Men they took ever more and more to the gloaming and the dusk. Still elves they were and remain, and that is Good People. -The Hobbit

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2014, 5:38am

Post #28 of 34 (242 views)
Shortcut
What is Prince William's last name? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we're a little more used to this than we think we are, it's just that sometimes we don't really think about when we're using a title rather than a surname. As it happens, the question of the royal family's name isn't a simple one.

But it might help to think of the question in other terms. Most family names in England can be traced back to either a location (Marsh, Beckham, Bradshaw) or a trade (Smith, Cooper). It just happens that the nobility weren't "in trade", and they tended to control large/multiple tracts of land, so that they acquired more place-names than the lower classes, who tended to be from one place or trade. They generally go by the title that goes with the largest/most impressive bit of land even if they have lots of others.

Darcy, btw, is also a place-origin name. Originally D'Arcy, it simply means "from Arcy". His ancestors were likely Normans, possibly some of those who came over with William the Conqueror. And he's related to titled people (Lady Catherine de Bourgh, his aunt, is the daughter of an earl), he's just from a younger son's line which didn't inherit a title. BTW, a duke wouldn't be named after a mere estate no matter how large and lovely, though a lesser peer might. A Duke would likely be called by the name of a much larger area. Duke of Derbyshire, perhaps. Wink

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 29 2014, 1:30pm

Post #29 of 34 (213 views)
Shortcut
How about Prince George D'Cambridge ? // [In reply to] Can't Post

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

May 30 2014, 5:35am

Post #30 of 34 (196 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that is basically the definition of fey [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for tracking down the quote. It's interesting that The Hobbit is really one of the best sources we have regarding Silvan Elves.

TolkienBlog.com

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 30 2014, 2:15pm

Post #31 of 34 (195 views)
Shortcut
Bear in mind this is not the only, nor definitive source... [In reply to] Can't Post

This quote exemplifies my way understanding of the vast Corpus of text that deals with Middle-Earth. It encapsulates all of the ineffable nuances and intuitions that I have had during my reading of the many source-books. I very well could be wrong.

It is hard to come to a definitive answer regarding Tolkien's works, for the simple fact that he was always changing his own mind. I'm sure we only have received in writing, some small part of the many permutations of conception that went through the Professor's mind. Can it be frustrating? Yes! Does it irritate the completionist in me? Definitely! Would I have it any other way? No! By coming to a fixed conclusion, we effectively put a the walls of a box around our imagination, limiting the scale of the vistas we allow ourselves to breath in. I may not know what ios behind that next hill, but the unsatisfied curiosity is much better than the knowledge that it is the edge of the map.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

May 31 2014, 4:55am

Post #32 of 34 (175 views)
Shortcut
That's one of the most fascinating things about Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

In some ways, it's impossible to define canon. In my mind, LotR is the only more-or-less indisputable canon source. However, had Tolkien lived another 5-10 years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "canon" changed from what we know it today.

TolkienBlog.com

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 31 2014, 1:49pm

Post #33 of 34 (167 views)
Shortcut
And it was all unintentional... [In reply to] Can't Post

We cannot credit the Professor with trying to create such a vast world that gives many infinite pleasure. He did not intend to write great fantasy, but the fact that it still came about makes me admire him more.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 1 2014, 7:41pm

Post #34 of 34 (171 views)
Shortcut
I suppose that's why it feels so authentic [In reply to] Can't Post

because it was heartfelt. While he certainly wanted to get published and make money, his world doesn't have the manufactured feel I get while reading many other fantasies, as in "let's throw this together and invent a few things to round it out." He seemed to project a lot of himself into every story, which was why he was always fiddling with them.

I suppose prime manufactured fantasy to me would be Narnia, whereas Le Guin's Earthsea isn't as detailed as Middle-earth, but seems equally heartfelt and internally consistent. You can't fake authenticity.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.