The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
National Geographic Beyond the Movie The Lord of the Rings

shadowdog
Rohan

May 24 2014, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 13 (546 views)
Shortcut
National Geographic Beyond the Movie The Lord of the Rings Can't Post

I couldn't find anything interesting to watch, so perused through my DVDs and came across this National Geographic program issued not long after the release of Fellowship. I bought it on DVD and forgot I had it. I don't remember seeing it on any of DVDs issued for LoTR. Has anybody else seen it? It is fascinating as it traces the background in Tolkien's past in England and WWI with the story he created. Really enjoy watching it again after all this time.
Did National Geographic do any follow ups for the other films?

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2014, 10:49pm

Post #2 of 13 (357 views)
Shortcut
there were two Nat'l Geo. LOTR specials. [In reply to] Can't Post

One in connection with ROTK with Aragorn on the cover:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ond/rings/index.html

and one in connection with FOTR with a Ringwraith on the cover:

http://www.imdb.com/...e/tt0312999/combined

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

shadowdog
Rohan

May 24 2014, 10:56pm

Post #3 of 13 (327 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the FOTR one and will need to find the other one. I had forgotten how influence Tolkien was influenced by the Finnish history, their language and their ancient oral history "The Kalevala".

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2014, 11:30pm

Post #4 of 13 (327 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice resource site isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

(the NG one on LOTR)

There's an old radio program that used to be on called Sound and Spirit that I really loved. You can find it archived online : http://www.wgbh.org/...ms/Sound--Spirit-226

The have a program on LOTR, one on the Kalevala, one on Fairy Tales, and one called Out of Finland that I often recommend to my friends in Tolkien. They aren't going to be as on point focused as the NG specials, but it's possible you may enjoy listening to them. Oh, and there's one on WWI called "To End All War" that's often of interest to Tolkien fans.

I recorded many of these episodes for a friend who was undergoing chemotherapy so she could listen to them on her iPod. I made my own 'covers' for each episode. You can see them here. It was a lot of fun making them.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 25 2014, 1:22am

Post #5 of 13 (315 views)
Shortcut
You may already have it [In reply to] Can't Post

The National Geographic program, The Return of the King, was one of supplements on the theatrical-version DVD of The Return of the King.

It has been a long time since I watched them, but I remember the FOTR one as being excellent and the ROTK one as a big disappointment in comparison. Did anyone else have that experience?

demnation
Rohan

May 25 2014, 6:37am

Post #6 of 13 (303 views)
Shortcut
I remember being displeased with both [In reply to] Can't Post

They both have some rather glaring errors, which bothered me a lot. I did appreciate whichever one explored Tolkien's relationships with his friends and his war experiences, which I think a lot of people don't know about or don't appreciate. So I like the fact that those documentaries gave some attention to those aspects for a broader audience.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

shadowdog
Rohan

May 25 2014, 11:49am

Post #7 of 13 (280 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

But after seeing the EE version of FoTR, I never bought the theatrical version of the other two. I waited for the EE versions. But I just found it on Amazon and ordered it. Hope I am not disappointed. And yes I was really interested in Tolkien's background in England as well as in the war and its impact on his writings.

Name
Rohan

May 25 2014, 1:59pm

Post #8 of 13 (282 views)
Shortcut
I believe both can be found on Netflix, for those who are interested. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now if only Netflix would get the actual movies......

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 25 2014, 10:00pm

Post #9 of 13 (265 views)
Shortcut
This stinks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now if only Netflix would get the actual movies......

What is up with this? No Harry Potter and no Lotr?!!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 25 2014, 10:01pm

Post #10 of 13 (257 views)
Shortcut
I know this because we get netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2014, 1:52am

Post #11 of 13 (279 views)
Shortcut
Those movies are all available on DVD through Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

Netflix Explains Why It Doesn't Always Have That Film Or TV Show You Really Want To See

shadowdog
Rohan

May 30 2014, 1:24am

Post #12 of 13 (195 views)
Shortcut
Just got and watched [In reply to] Can't Post

my National Geographic program on The Return of The King. I enjoyed it, but can see why you might have been disappointed since it had little on Tolkien and most references were to people in history who paralleled the characters in LoTR.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jun 15 2014, 5:56pm

Post #13 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
This is the one I have seen. It was disappointing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

it had very little to do with Tolkien and some of the historical references to people in history who paralleled the characters in LoTR seemed lame and farfetched to me. I am looking for the other one though and would be interested in seeing that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.