The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
'Fly you fools.'

xMb
The Shire

May 24 2014, 11:03am

Post #1 of 11 (873 views)
Shortcut
'Fly you fools.' Can't Post

I'm usually a lurker around here but I had to come by and ask a question.

I was watching Fellowship with my son for the millionth time last night (got to love that fotr is a 6 year olds favorite out of all five so far) and I yet again found myself thinking 'I don't hear it' when gandalf says 'FLY you fools.'

I don't hear fly. I don't know WHAT I hear hah. Does anyone else find themselves thinking the same? Am I needlessly rambling? :)

Name
Rohan

May 24 2014, 1:47pm

Post #2 of 11 (661 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

People who haven't read Tolkien often times have a hard time understanding the whole quote. It is spoken a little fast, and the articulation isn't great.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Starling
Half-elven

May 24 2014, 8:21pm

Post #3 of 11 (632 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to demonstrate clear articulation, [In reply to] Can't Post

and to speak slowly, when one is hanging by one's fingertips and about to fall into a chasm of fire and death. Laugh

When I saw the film I had never read the book, but I found 'Fly, you fools!' perfectly understandable.

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2014, 10:50pm

Post #4 of 11 (611 views)
Shortcut
I think part of the confusion came from ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the fact that many people didn't know the definition of 'fly' which means 'flee'. So it's didn't quite make sense.

It was, for a long time, one of the most asked questions on the imdb boards.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 25 2014, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 11 (581 views)
Shortcut
what he means is [In reply to] Can't Post

what he means by "Fly you fools" is that he realized that walking wasn't such a good idea after all and he wanted them to take the eagles to Mordor lol

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 25 2014, 9:08pm

Post #6 of 11 (536 views)
Shortcut
Bingo! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

xMb
The Shire

May 26 2014, 12:38am

Post #7 of 11 (535 views)
Shortcut
That is a very good point Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always hear in my head 'fullo you fools!' even though I know that isn't the case xP

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 26 2014, 1:24am

Post #8 of 11 (532 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Good oneCoolTongueSmile

boldog
Rohan

May 28 2014, 10:53am

Post #9 of 11 (481 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only 6 when i first watched FOTR and I always thought he said "Help me you fools". It never made sense to me, until i read the books, and watched it with subtitles that i realised he was saying "fly you fools" I still automatically think he says "help me" though Blush

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Bofur01
Lorien

May 28 2014, 2:54pm

Post #10 of 11 (461 views)
Shortcut
I've always heard "run you fools"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...So mine was pretty accurate :p

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 28 2014, 3:04pm

Post #11 of 11 (512 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it strange I always understood what he meant?
I guess all those books I read as a kid paid off. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.