Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 23 2014, 4:14am

Post #1 of 7 (148 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Hi, fellow TORn walkers, runners, swimmers, rowers, hikers and all! How go your journeys this week?

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 30
Cumulative miles: 1155
Goal: There and Back Again!

These last couple weeks have been hectic for us - heaps of end-of-the-school-year activities, plus I've been spending a couple hours a day most days pulling weeds and preparing our front yard for new plants. It's mud season here in Northern Colorado, and it doesn't last long, so I'm trying to take full advantage of it before our soil reverts to hardpan. In the process, I've increased my minimum daily mileage again. It's not where it needs to be, but I'm getting closer!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 13
Cumulative miles: 1027
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 11:33pm

Post #2 of 7 (108 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Migration season is here so I haven't been able to post often, but have racked up the miles carrying heavy gear. I'm sunburned and sore but doing well.

My cat is recovering from a bad infection. She looks like the Goblin King (or an extra from The Walking Dead) but she continues to fight for every day with more spirit than I usually manage for myself, so I will continue to support her.

I got some good pictures and added four new birds to my photo-lifer list. I'll spare you all with two:
Waxwing Pair Berry-Passing
(They pass berries back and forth as a sign of affection; either as pairs or flock-members)

Northern Parula Warbler

I'll share better pictures next time. (I've got plenty to last all summer>)

Well, I've finally reached Mirkwood and will be there for the foreseeable future.

Good job everyone, and good health and fortune!

Total mileage: 695.55
Challenge Miles: 615.45
Miles since last post: 58.85
To Go: 351.55

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Brethil
Half-elven

May 23 2014, 11:49pm

Post #3 of 7 (99 views)
Shortcut
Great pics Joe! Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2014, 1:50pm

Post #4 of 7 (93 views)
Shortcut
You've had some rugged weather in Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully you missed the TORnadoes that breezed through parts of it ;)

I've been really hammering away on the mileage this week since next week will be more woosy. I've been doing a LOT of walking, yard work and house cleaning. I figure the house cleaning should be done at least once a year... like dusting, sweeping, put away the laundered clothes... stuff like that ;)

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! I'm so glad you're having fun in the yard :D *waves fondly to all* See you on the Road, Walkers!

Miles covered: 37 miles
Cumulated miles: 3380
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2014, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 7 (85 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... neat pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie needs to see these. She's an avid bird-watcher. These would make her smile, fersher!

Well done on the mileage.. and I'm glad your cat doesn't look like an Orc anymore ;)

Congratulations on making it to another milestone! Here's a Mirkwood Postcard to mark the occasion :)

Cheers and I can't wait to see your pictures!

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 25 2014, 12:04am

Post #6 of 7 (79 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful birds, Joe-M! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear they're getting you out and about, even with the sunburns.

And I hope your cat keeps getting better.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 25 2014, 12:14am

Post #7 of 7 (97 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, we reenacted Noah's Ark last night... [In reply to] Can't Post

Except that, instead of loading animals into a boat, we had to move our just-purchased plants from the garden bed where they were in an inch of water to the sun porch so they wouldn't drown. This is not normal for us. But we didn't get the flooding or tornadoes - hopefully we'll dodge them tonight. Crazy

I'm glad to hear you're getting things done - sometimes it feels like you'll never get to the top of that mountain, but then that burst of energy comes along and gets you - well, partway up the mountain... hang in there, gramma!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.