The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Thor vs Sauron

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

May 22 2014, 3:49pm

Post #1 of 16 (6901 views)
Shortcut
Thor vs Sauron Can't Post

How about the God of Lightning versus The Dark Lord Sauron, who would win ??? And when I say Sauron I mean his physical form not the eye Wink ! Powers:
Thor - Summoning lightning, flying, superhuman speed and powers and his hammer, mjolnir
Sauron - The one ring, dark magic, mace, size

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

May 22 2014, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 16 (6479 views)
Shortcut
Hammered [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor would get hammered.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 22 2014, 5:37pm

Post #3 of 16 (6497 views)
Shortcut
Didn't we ... [In reply to] Can't Post

already have this one?

Thor wins easy-peasy.

And I'm still tho thor I can hardly pith,

Thunderin' Thuckatash...

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 23 2014, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 16 (6461 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I think...

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on May 23 2014, 2:26pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 23 2014, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 16 (6437 views)
Shortcut
Thundering Thor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor was the son of Odin (The major God). This would make Thor a Major/minor God indicative of The Valar, whereas Sauron was a Maiar (a lesser Ainur).

Thor (with mjolnir) was quite indefatigable, defeating many foes including the Midgard Serpent (although killed himself by Jörmungandr), whereas Sauron was defeated by a Man and an Elf (although they were slain also).

Still, a tough choice; but I will stick with (an apparent minority) Thor.

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

May 23 2014, 10:05pm

Post #6 of 16 (6436 views)
Shortcut
The power of the ring could not be undone [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with what you say at some point but there are much more details that you didn't take under consideration, for example when Sauron was defeated by gil-galad, elendil and isildur (who probably where the strongest warriors of that time) he didn't have his full powers as a Maia, he was just a mere reflection of what Sauron used to be as after the fall of numenor his body was partially destroyed !!! Maybe we don't know much about what he was capable of but for comparisson we could use Gandalf who defeated a Balrog! I think both balrog and mithrandir would stand a fair chance of wining against Thor, but neither would even risk to challange Sauron, it took three wizards to defeat his spirit ! but even if Thor defeated Sauron There's one more thing, Thor and most of Norse gods where mighty warriors but really alike humans (mentally) so there's another question weather or not could he resist the desire to use the ring !!!

Meneldor
Valinor

May 23 2014, 10:15pm

Post #7 of 16 (6446 views)
Shortcut
What I want to know is [In reply to] Can't Post

what happens when Mjolnir hits the ring?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 24 2014, 2:34am

Post #8 of 16 (6416 views)
Shortcut
That's a good one [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what happens when Mjolnir hits the ring?

Really! Would not want to be anywhere in the vicinity when that happens Shocked.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 24 2014, 4:00am

Post #9 of 16 (6398 views)
Shortcut
We should consider WHEN this [In reply to] Can't Post

contest takes place. I'm assuming during the time of Last Alliance.

We should also consider that Sauron helped make the 7 and the 9 Rings, and he appeared of full body at that time and more than a “mere reflection” of his old post-Numenorean self (to the Elves of Eregion at the least). Now, Sauron made, used and “apparently” wore the One Ring for over 1600 years (in some bodily form) and after these 1600-plus years of fortifying his power and position he must have neared his zenith of a being of horrendous force and wit to be reckoned with. But he was nevertheless defeated by – a Man and an Elf.

Consider also, when Sauron was defeated by Elendil and Gil-galad, Isildur “stood by” his father while Elrond and Cirdan “stood by” Gil-galad (paraphrase). So we don’t know exactly what part Isildur, Cirdan or Elrond played in this end of the 2nd Age final combat.

So, I still think the Thunder God has a very good chance.

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 24 2014, 4:08am

Post #10 of 16 (6397 views)
Shortcut
The Ringing would cause severe tinnitus.. [In reply to] Can't Post

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

Meneldor
Valinor

May 24 2014, 4:15am

Post #11 of 16 (6397 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, the puns! They burnsss! [In reply to] Can't Post

I oughta box your ears for that one, BG. Tongue

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 24 2014, 4:27am

Post #12 of 16 (6454 views)
Shortcut
Oh no Meneldor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I oughta box your ears for that one, BG.

Please don't! I already have Ringus-of-the-Earus!

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

boldog
Rohan

May 28 2014, 10:51am

Post #13 of 16 (6377 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor has the brute force, but Sauron has the cunning, manipulative mind. In one on one id say Thor, but over time i say sauron would bring thor down

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

dubulous
Rohan

May 31 2014, 10:58pm

Post #14 of 16 (6372 views)
Shortcut
Probably a big bang... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and no damage done to either object.

Even if Mjolnir did manage to make a dent on the Ring, I don't think it would do anything to diminish its power. The Ring can't be unmade without melting, and only the fires of Mount Doom can melt it.

So, unless Thor has the willpower to cast the Ring "into the fiery chasm from whence it came" (which I doubt), he wouldn't be able to destroy Sauron completely, even if he defeated his physical form.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 1 2014, 2:45am

Post #15 of 16 (6504 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

So, unless Thor has the willpower to cast the Ring "into the fiery chasm from whence it came" (which I doubt), he wouldn't be able to destroy Sauron completely, even if he defeated his physical form.

Padster
Bree

Aug 22 2014, 4:57am

Post #16 of 16 (6501 views)
Shortcut
What? Thor of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone else has already remarked on it. Thor was a god, the some of Odin. If we are making comparisons between Norse and ME mythology, that has to mean Thor would be numbered among the Valar. And even empowered with the One Ring, Sauron was not a match for most of the Valar. Certainly not the big ones like Manwe, Orome, Tulkas, etc.

I am of course assuming we are talking about real Thor, not Marvel Thor. Marvel Thor would get wupped!!

Cheers

Padster

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.