The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Ivy Bush

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 2:52pm

Post #1 of 7 (429 views)
Shortcut
The Ivy Bush Can't Post

"The Ivy Bush" is that little Inn on the Bywater road where you can get a quiet pint and a substantial 'infodump' about the Baggins family from Gaffer Gamgee (FOTR Ch 1)

It seemed familiar a a pub name, so I was a bit surprised to find (as far as I can tell from Google) no Ivy Bush pubs hereabouts in Oxfordshire. There is one in Edgebaston, which perhaps I visited when I lived in Birmingham, and perhaps Tolkien knew it when he lived thereabouts rather earlier.

Here's some fun scholarly stuff I did find about the appropriateness of The Ivy Bush as a pub name though: http://llyfrawr.com/...itonian/IvyBush.html

Cheers!

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 20 2014, 11:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (308 views)
Shortcut
The Ivy Bush [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people do seem to have an objection to info-dumping in fanfiction in particular but I don't really. In fact, I often think of it as essential background information. Lotr would have been a poorer book without these passages in my opinion. As for the Ivy Bush, I have wondered which pub was nearer to Hobbiton, the Ivy Bush or the Green Dragon. Or maybe the Green Dragon was for the hip young things and the Ivy Bush for the older folk.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 21 2014, 4:38am

Post #3 of 7 (295 views)
Shortcut
Hamfast Gamgee outta know !! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere (don’t recall) that some taverns in medieval times would hang a bush or some ivy from a post out front to identify themselves as such.

I’ve wondered the same, but have assumed it was The Green Dragon, as that was the one that Bilbo ran to "a mile or more".

In Reply To
As for the Ivy Bush, I have wondered which pub was nearer to Hobbiton, the Ivy Bush or the Green Dragon.

And as I’ve always pictured (in my mind) that Bywater was a very small village, why would it need two taverns? Guess those Hobbits liked their ale, eh? ]Smile

"This sentence is false!"
-G. Greyhame

sador
Half-elven

May 21 2014, 7:54am

Post #4 of 7 (288 views)
Shortcut
Is that why Balin was the lookout for Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

He felt the Dragon was below his dignity, so he went for a pint to the more appropriate place?

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 21 2014, 10:58pm

Post #5 of 7 (269 views)
Shortcut
The only person [In reply to] Can't Post

To have drunk in both inns was Ted Sandyman as far as I can see. Which just goes to show, children, don't go drinking in too many Hobbiton pubs, or you might end up a Victorian factory owner and eventual puppet of evil Wizards!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 22 2014, 3:55pm

Post #6 of 7 (259 views)
Shortcut
A pub is a pub, Bub. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I don’t know the names of any pubs in Hobbiton. Maybe we should have a “Pub-Naming-Contest” as I’m sure Tolkien didn’t mention all the pubs in the Shire?

The Swill and Stagger

The Troll’s Hole

The Warg’s Head

The Quaff and Guzzle

The Totter In Inn

The Short Shot

The Hob Goblin

The Three-farthing Stoned

The Slaughtered Tater

More?

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 24 2014, 1:41pm

Post #7 of 7 (262 views)
Shortcut
The Ivy Bush is obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

where all the elite went... sort of the Ivy League of the Shire... I imagine the Sackville-Bagginses were regulars there! ;-)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.