Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
DOS Collector edition bookends - anyone else have issues?

Avandel
Half-elven

May 18 2014, 3:49pm

Post #1 of 8 (523 views)
Shortcut
DOS Collector edition bookends - anyone else have issues? Can't Post

I am very happy to have these in hand, so hope this doesn't sound negative. But because I wanted these SO badly (just love the Hobbit's Erebor) I was hoping they would be really nice.

And they are, in that whatever mold they used and material has nice, sharp lines, they are heavy, and as far as I can tell the design is accurate (before Smaug, anyway). In fact I ordered two of the sets, one from Hobbit Shop and one from Amazon.

And neither set showed up "perfect" - on one set, looks like there were casting issues. On another set, there were bit of armor snapped off. Got an exchange from Amazon and to my disbelief an axe was rattling around in the box - which I glued myself since the axe is a separate piece anyway, but *frown*.

Amazon now has posted: While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

But I don't think this is Amazon, as these were strapped into heavy molded plastic, plus an outer box, plus padding inside another box. I think it is the manufacturer and packing working too fast, because of the casting imperfections. Anyway LOL this limited edition of 25,000 is " -1" re the one I sent back - Amazon was great w. my exchange, too.

So I ended up happily enough, with my bookends/figures. And I told myself too if you really think about the cost of a 5-disk set plus 2 figures at full price, it's fair. Plus I love these and they look terrific on two different bookcases. But I sure will work to never drop them.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 18 2014, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 8 (394 views)
Shortcut
No problems my end. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I had it shipped from the US to the UK. It was carefully packaged with bubble wrap in a box and delivered in a massive airmail bag. The DVD box itself was worn slightly on the edges, but that's to be expected. I haven't noticed any casting imperfections at all, but it does sound like there might be a bad batch out there.

Out of the 5 collector models, these are my favourite.

Kim
Valinor

May 18 2014, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 8 (384 views)
Shortcut
I didn't have any problems with mine either [In reply to] Can't Post

I got them from Amazon as well, and both the bookends and DVD case were perfect when they arrived and well protected in the packaging. Sorry to hear about the issues you had.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

May 18 2014, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 8 (404 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and btw, welcome to the Grey Havens! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a lovely place! Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2014, 10:50pm

Post #5 of 8 (378 views)
Shortcut
Mine was damaged [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the set from Amazon, and both of the axes' bottom blade were broken off. They glued right on, though. I don't ever plan to part from them, and I've discussed with myself the dangers of Erebor... so my Id and I are both content :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Elessar
Valinor

May 19 2014, 12:43am

Post #6 of 8 (388 views)
Shortcut
Mine were good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great items and thankfully made it intact. I love the details and that they've got some nice heft to them.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 19 2014, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 8 (364 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! (: [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the Havens! (LOL are the dwarves hanging out here?)

Glad lots of folks had NO issues. I SO wanted these - and was determined as figure the day will come when they just won't be available, at least not in good condition and/or easy to get. It's the kind of thing you can have forever and will always look cool, if you are a book lover. I have one set holding my Hobbit disks bu they also just look good as display figures.

Now, will my dreams come true - hopefully after my budget recovers at some point - and will Sideshow and/or Hot Toys ever do a "super-premium-deluxe" Thorin? I know there is the WETA version but love the idea of a "real cloth" costume, and possible even "real" hair if I was very lucky. I can only get the odd piece of collectible now and again, but I'd work to get something like that. If money were no object I'd get the WETA Thorin - maybe one day.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 19 2014, 6:00pm

Post #8 of 8 (467 views)
Shortcut
Happy for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

They do look terrific against a wood shelf - and I appreciated the sharp, clean lines and as far as I can tell are screen accurate. I wasn't the only one w. issues as there were other comments if you dig through the hundreds of posts about DOS.

Did notice - of course - all the positive comments about the movie. And outside of my utter love for the film, I am amazed at how good the picture is on the BR. At least on my TV the clarity is incredible and I see all these little tiny details I missed in theater - very impressed.
And because of that clarity and ability to pick out tiny details, just makes me more in awe of PJ & co. - unbelievable. Even tiny things like the books and stuff piled on the shelves at Beorn's and a shovel leaning near some sort of bin - all adding to that "realism".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.