The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Feb 3 game

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 10 2008, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 3 (3259 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Feb 3 game Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on continuing the quiz. The consensus, for those who answered, was to continue. I can see some of you are looking for some relief from The Hobbit excitement as much as I am.

I've learned through the school of experience that what people don't say is as important as what they do say. I'd estimate that about 8 regular players did not comment or play the game this week. That is pretty significant, in my experience. I know one of those people has had a devil of a week and I would not have expected anything from them. Of the others, I don't know if their attention was elsewhere or whether they followed the good Minnesota tradition of: If you can't say anything nice then....

We did get two lurkers to weigh in though. So perhaps the scale evens out. Regardless, if it's working for some of you that's good enough for me.

Now to the answers to last weeks game.

Of the six questions, 4 posed no problem for you all. I would not have gotten #1 right... which you all did. I would not have gotten 4 right, unless I got had a lucky guess. And only one of you got that one right: Hasufel!

Some players like to give a range or choices for their answers: 3-4 ... blue or green
I'm not sure how to 'score' (to the extent any of us care about scores) an answer like this. If the answer is 'blue' and someone says 'blue or green'. They are technically right. But that's not how these sorts of games work. I will say that I had a dozen 'tricks' like this when I didn't know an answer that I would try out on teacher. (Lots of them worked.) I'm not saying anyone is try to 'trick' me. It's all in fun and I know that's the spirit. But I am saying, I gave this sort of answer when I didn't know the answer. So I can only assume that someone who gives this answer also doesn't know the answer. It's a good way to answer in the spirit of participation and I hope you all continue to do so if you don't have a definitive answer to give. But I won't score answers give in ranges or as choices as correct. If that point matters, you could say... "is it blue or green... I'm going to guess green". Then you've got your thinking out there and a 50/50 chance of being right. With the answer "blue or green"... you've got 0 chance of being right. ;^)

Here are last week's questions and answers.

1. When the Fellowship stops to rest in Balin's tomb who's carrying their torch?
Aragorn

Loresilme: wasn't this where they said in the commentaries that they could only shoot one side of his face that day because he had a bruise they couldn't cover?
Magpie: It was somewhere in here. At some point, I figured out exactly what scene(s) it was but I've since forgotten.

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard": today, tonight, or tomorrow?
Tonight

Treebeard: There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men for this treachery. My business is with Isengard tonight. With rock and stone.

I particularly enjoyed Loresilme setting her answer to music by Bernstein.

3. What are the three rules of the drinking game?
No pauses. No spills. No regurgitation.

ah, now... I made this hard, did I? I did not consider, "Last one standing" to be a rule. I see that as the factor that determines the winner. And the three conditions above are listed all together, one right after the other, so I was considering them a 'bundle'. If you remember one, you (by rights) should remember them all. So... no points for 'Last one standing.' Partial points for getting one or two of the three correct. In the end, it's all kind of arbitrary.

Tyler: LOL. "aragorn had to drive them home?" should have been a rule!

As for Owly's answer, it seems to be encrypted as all I can see is ******. ^_^
Perhaps he was mistakenly trying to 'sign into' this game after already having a head start on it!

4. Into how many shards did Narsil shatter?
six
I took One Ringer's range: 6 - 7 including the helm to mean 6 shards plus one other piece with is (or contains) the helm. That, we can see, is not correct. If 6-7 was a guess as in, 'somewhere between 6-7', then that's the kind of answer I used to give when I didn't know - hoping the teacher would give me credit anyhow. No go. ;^)

I always curious what people wonder when they say, 'Is that a trick question?'. What could be the trick? I'll save my trick questions for April Fools. ;^)

5. What character's portrayer agreed to have his/her eyebrows shaved off to make him/her look "seriously weird"?
Gríma
I think this actually came up in discussion in the last few weeks. I knew this question was in the queue and I wanted to point and say, "Pay attention!"

6. Which screenwriter wrote the lyrics to the song, "In Dreams"?
Fran Walsh
This is the sort of question/answer I think we should all know if we don't so I'm hoping to educate anyone who doesn't normally pay attention to this sort of thing. Fran wrote a couple of the songs in the movie.
You might notice the credits for "Elvish Lament" - I think this refers to the Wood Elves song. That's Plan 9 plus David Long : one of the questions/answers from last weeks quiz.
Elberbeth: in memory of their young friend who died.
Magpie: Actually that was Into the West. But that doesn't affect your score. :-)

Scores - partial points all related to the drinking game rules:
Elberbeth : 4.33
Hasufel : 5.66
Loresilme : 4.66
One Ringer : 4.66
Owlyross : 0 but much amusement.
I've gotta work on picturing John Rhys-Davies with a soprano voice. Although, we already have a vision of him doing musical theater. (Loresilme's answer to #2)
Elvenhobbit : 3 plus a welcome back
Tyler : 3.33

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 12 2008, 7:45am

Post #2 of 3 (2848 views)
Shortcut
So wait ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody just let those two drive them self home how sad.Smile

-looking for something cool-

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 21 2008, 12:55pm

Post #3 of 3 (3167 views)
Shortcut
Blue or green ... three or four [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! This reminded me of when we used to take tests in school where you had to pencil in those little ovals. And some kids would actually try to pencil in two ovals and then erase really hard and then pencil them in again and erase really hard again, etc., so that the teacher couldn't tell which one they had really chosen ... in the hopes that they would somehow get credit if one of the ovals had been the correct choice.

Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.