The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Thorins Burdens and pains vs Aragorns burdens and pains

boldog
Rohan

May 9 2014, 11:22am

Post #1 of 7 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Thorins Burdens and pains vs Aragorns burdens and pains Can't Post

Who has the biggest burden? Im going by both book lore and movie invented stuff. Lets go through each characters burdens.

Thorin:
Witnessed his hometown destroyed by Smaug,
Refused help by Thranduil
His people became homeless
Witnessed his Grandfather die, and his father go missing
Has become the king of Durins line
Responsibility of his nephews
the quest to reclaim his homeland
Vengeance upon Azog
Hunted by Azog

Aragorn:
The last decendant of Isildur
Has the choice of claiming the throne of Gondor and Arnor, the most powerful kingdoms in middle earth
Hunted by Sauron all his life
orphaned by Elrond thus never knowing his father
Love for Arwen
sworn protection of Frodo
Uniting the west

Personally i like Aragorn much more, and i think he has a lot more on his plate then Thorin

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 9 2014, 2:19pm

Post #2 of 7 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, I didn't know that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond killed Arathorn II.. Must be from the movie and I just don't "movie"...

In Reply To
orphaned by Elrond thus never knowing his father

Tongue

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

May 9 2014, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 7 (1757 views)
Shortcut
They kind of have similar arcs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and are both pretty arrogant (at least book Aragorn was).

Anyway, I'd say Aragorn had the bigger burden. The stakes of Aragorn's quest were simply much higher than those of Thorin's.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

May 13 2014, 7:00pm

Post #4 of 7 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Elrond did not kill Aragorn's father [In reply to] Can't Post

all of the Heirs of Isildur (thus the elder line of Elendil) were fostered by Elrond in Rivendell. After the Arthedain lost the Northern kingdom and became a wandering folk as Rangers - they were fostered in their childhood by Elrond from whom they could claim direct descent. Elrond did not kill Arathorn II - he fostered his son, Aragorn II (was a substitute father...)Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 13 2014, 9:06pm

Post #5 of 7 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Of course Itnjmy !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My notation was tongue-in-cheek. Making light of the wording one could assume that Elrond killed Arathorn, thus making Aragorn an orphan which is of course ridiculous is it not?Smile
Cheers

orphaned by Elrond thus never knowing his father (my bold)

Smile

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on May 13 2014, 9:06pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 13 2014, 9:17pm

Post #6 of 7 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Bwhahaha!!! Too funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

I laughed out loud!

This must be just like the 'No BOTFA Hobbit trailer with Godzilla' thread title! I love syntactic amphiboly!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 18 2014, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 7 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it has to be Aragorn. His people aren't just homeless, their home is gone without hope of recovery, their power has dissipated (arguably more that that of the dwarves), and they are basically going extinct. While Thorin is pining for the glory days, Aragorn is fighting for his life. Aragorn's heartache over Arwen really adds a whole other layer of hurting.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.