Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What's one of your favorite Tolkien quotes?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 7 2014, 9:43pm

Post #26 of 50 (405 views)
Shortcut
I just love these... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just imagine them delivered in his Oxford accent with a deadpan tone of voice....Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 7 2014, 9:44pm

Post #27 of 50 (414 views)
Shortcut
I've been looking for this quote! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank-you for bringing it up! Here I thought it was in OFS or Letters, but there it is, right in the middle of The Hobbit! Many thanks!!!

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 7 2014, 10:47pm

Post #28 of 50 (405 views)
Shortcut
Quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do not be hasty" - because it's good to be reminded that speed isn't necessarily a virtue in all circumstances, when life is trying to make you hurry hurry hurry.
"Turning back...they saw Goldberry, now small and slender like a sunlit flower against the sky" - just one of so many images of beauty to choose from.
"Confusticate and bebother..." Very useful.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 7 2014, 11:44pm

Post #29 of 50 (384 views)
Shortcut
Waste of a good apple. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

SaulComposer
Rohan

May 8 2014, 1:25am

Post #30 of 50 (410 views)
Shortcut
I have several but this first come to mind… [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then Faramir stood up and spoke in a clear voice: ‘Men of Gondor hear now the Steward of this Realm! Behold! one has come to claim the kingship again at last. Here is Aragorn son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, Captain of the Host of the West, bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle, whose hands bring healing, the Elfstone, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur’s son, Elendil’s son of Númenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?’
And all the host and all the people cried yea with one voice. "

I'm no preacher or a politician…

squire
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 2:08am

Post #31 of 50 (388 views)
Shortcut
There's a very similar one in the Sil: [In reply to] Can't Post

But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song. (Sil 10)

I prefer the Hobbit epigram, as folksy or even corny as it is; the Sil always seems to be working too hard to achieve a literary effect.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Mikah
Lorien

May 8 2014, 3:14am

Post #32 of 50 (389 views)
Shortcut
Beren telling off Thingol! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of these are great, but another of my favorites come from "The Silmarillion." "Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you of baseborn, or spy, nor thrall. By the ring of Felagund, that he gave to Barahir my father, on the battlefield of the North, my house has not earned such names from any Elf,be he king or no." Gotta love Beren...Holla!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 4:39am

Post #33 of 50 (393 views)
Shortcut
There was an interesting critique of Movie-Sam's speech [In reply to] Can't Post

delivered by Reverend, one of my all-time favorite TORnsibs (who died in 2003), in a Q/A discussion of TTT:

3. So, what do you see as the difference between the messages of movie Sam and book Sam as seen in their speeches? Movie Sam has been criticized by some, praised by others, for his Hollywood-ish statement of his moral convictions and his determination to struggle on for a cause. Does the book Sam have that same faith in holding onto something and fighting for good, or is that degree of high idealism foreign to a practical hobbit like him (at least expressed in such an abstract way)?

a. Here I must sharply criticize the movie (which I generally endorse) for Just Not Getting It. Frodo and Sam carry on because carrying on is itself the right thing to do, NOT because there was some good worth fighting for. Frodo isn't holding on to anything; his despair has NOT lifted, and he is sure that there will be nothing good to come home to. But he has been given a duty, and will keep faith with those who entrusted it to him, even should they and he perish. Again, I think it a philosophy particularly relevant to the Trenches of the Somme, and not a bad one for life in general.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 8 2014, 4:41am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 12:30pm

Post #34 of 50 (362 views)
Shortcut
Faramir really lays out an undeniable list of credentials with that one, doesn't he? // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 12:31pm

Post #35 of 50 (364 views)
Shortcut
It's what I spend most of The Sil wanting to say to Thingol myself! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 12:33pm

Post #36 of 50 (368 views)
Shortcut
Ataahua, that Cerin Amroth quote was actually my 2nd runner up this month. Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love the cat-Shelob joke too. Never get tired of it, really.

Toros
The Shire

May 8 2014, 1:20pm

Post #37 of 50 (383 views)
Shortcut
From Mount Doom [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a long one, but also long has it been one of my favourites

"And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammauth Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power of Barad-Dur was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him"

Everything about this section is so meticulously crafted.. It's the only example I can think of off the top of my head where Sauron is given narrational agency (which I totally just made up) in the Lord of the Rings, as opposed to just being talked about by the other characters. It happens just as Frodo puts on the ring; just as in the story, everything else Sauron is doing gets put on hold, it's like his defences that stopped us having any insight into his mind or feelings also gets abandoned in his mad rush to locate the Ring. It's also a great juxtaposition to the almighty strength of Mordor we have been hearing about throughout the entire trilogy so far. Even defeat at Pelennor didn't seem to phase Sauron much, but here he is "shaken". Obviously its foundations were built using the power of the RIng so it seems apt that Tolkien singles them out as being shaken at the revelation of the Ring being so close. The talk about the eye piercing shadows, to me, also further impresses on us how pure the hobbits are. The Eye pierces all shadows, but the very nature of hobbits means they walk in the sun, so of course they haven't been spotted yet. It is only now that the shadow has taken hold of Frodo that they are discovered. I love the wording of the bit about the "magnitude of his own folly" and especially the "devices of his enemies were at last laid bare", it's just great prose. I'm really caught in the moment and feel like I can really understand the simultaneous confusion, anger and fear in Sauron.

Of course you could probably submit any passage of Tolkien to the same type of analysis and find it to be fantastic, because it probably is.

(This post was edited by Toros on May 8 2014, 1:21pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 2:45pm

Post #38 of 50 (358 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Toros! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for a great quote and commentary. Yes, indeedy, that's a moving passage that gives my spine a little chill. Good point that it's a rare glimpse of Sauron from his own perspective, something we've been waiting to see throughout the trilogy. It really does make us understand how he feels, which is satisfying right before his fall.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2014, 12:12am

Post #39 of 50 (365 views)
Shortcut
This. Many times this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien really did craft his words, didn't he?

BTW I think your comment on why we finally get a look at Sauron himself, rather than hearing about him second-hand, is really insightful. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2014, 12:18am

Post #40 of 50 (341 views)
Shortcut
I admit [In reply to] Can't Post

that when I updated my Will last year, I included this text for it to be read at my funeral. I think it's a beautiful section about timelessness and how we never really leave the places we have lived in or loved.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SaulComposer
Rohan

May 9 2014, 1:16am

Post #41 of 50 (356 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He Certainly did

I'm no preacher or a politician…

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

May 13 2014, 3:10pm

Post #42 of 50 (335 views)
Shortcut
I definitely have several... [In reply to] Can't Post

But one of my favorites is:

All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost.

I just love the hope that this poem inspires.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

ltnjmy
Rivendell

May 13 2014, 7:04pm

Post #43 of 50 (320 views)
Shortcut
Everything written by the Professor - - [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding the combat between Finrod Felagund and Sauron. For some reason, I always get weepy reading it...Frown

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 13 2014, 7:17pm

Post #44 of 50 (318 views)
Shortcut
Found this recently, in the CoH [In reply to] Can't Post

' And when Thingol bade {Nellas} speak, she said: 'Lord, I was sitting in a tree'; but then she faltered in awe of the King, and could say no more.
At that the King smiled, and said: 'Others have done this also, but have felt no need to tell me of it.'

Is this Thingol having a tra-la-la-la-lally moment?Crazy He made a funny!ShockedLaugh

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 8:48pm

Post #45 of 50 (312 views)
Shortcut
Who knew the guy could make a joke? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 9:36pm

Post #46 of 50 (308 views)
Shortcut
*Nice* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
' And when Thingol bade {Nellas} speak, she said: 'Lord, I was sitting in a tree'; but then she faltered in awe of the King, and could say no more.
At that the King smiled, and said: 'Others have done this also, but have felt no need to tell me of it.'

Is this Thingol having a tra-la-la-la-lally moment?Crazy He made a funny!ShockedLaugh

Its rather a dry tra-la moment, but a moment. Wink

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 14 2014, 2:30pm

Post #47 of 50 (303 views)
Shortcut
The star in Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

squire
Half-elven

May 14 2014, 5:51pm

Post #48 of 50 (302 views)
Shortcut
I often look at the stars at night with that quote in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I don't even live in Mordor!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 17 2014, 3:15am

Post #49 of 50 (281 views)
Shortcut
Of Aulë and Yavanna [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorites is from the chapter Of Aulë and Yavanna in the Silmarillion, I love it so much.

'I did not desire such lordship. I desired things other than I am, to love and to teach them, so that they too might perceive the beauty of Eä, which thou hast caused to be. For it seemed to me that there is great room in Arda for many things that might rejoice in it, yet it is for the most part empty still, and dumb. And in my impatience I have fallen into folly. Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father. But what shall I do now, so that thou be not angry with me forever? As a child to his father, I offer to thee these things, the work of the hands which thou hast made. Do with them what thou wilt. But should I not rather destroy the work of my presumption?'

I tear up every time

Brethil
Half-elven

May 18 2014, 1:52am

Post #50 of 50 (297 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Ihearthee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its written in the removed and more archaic tone, but the feeling still comes through.

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.