The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Does anyone live near Idaho, US?

Cirashala
Valinor

May 5 2014, 6:39am

Post #1 of 3 (404 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone live near Idaho, US? Can't Post

I have been a TORnsib for a year and a half now, and many of you sound like wonderful people!

I admit I am rather jealous of those of you who have managed to actually meet some of the other TORnsibs in person Unsure Idaho does seem to be a fair bit out of the way- we don't have many big cities (I am grateful for this- I don't like the city) but that also means that there are never any CONs, or events, etc in my state Frown So the only way I would ever be able to meet other Tolkienites is if I bought an airplane ticket Frown

Unfortunately, circumstances being what they are (one income, two small children) I couldn't manage to make it to Comic-con or any of the other major events that I see people attending. It would be nice to meet some of you and share some fun times chatting about the movies and about Tolkien- plus the mommy in me needs to get out some time! I saw a picture on facebook recently that "if Dora doesn't sing it, or Bob doesn't build it, I have no clue what it is!" We don't really do Dora or Bob much at our house (it's more my little pony and tinker bell atm- we do netflix, not cable) but it's very much the same idea.

So are there any TORnsibs nearby? It seems like many of you are in big cities, back east, or in other countries Unsure Is my area just that Tolkien deprived? If it is, it's a very sad state indeed Unsure

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 5 2014, 4:50pm

Post #2 of 3 (336 views)
Shortcut
Around Idaho [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about *in* Idaho. But there are a few tOR.Nfolk in Washington, Utah (Salt Lake is where I am), and a goodly number in Colorado-- mostly on the Denver side of the Rockies, although I gather RangerLady is in the western bit somewhere.

I don't know what part of Idaho you're in, but there are a couple of conventions in Boise-- Fandemonium being the biggest one I'm aware of. We have a lot of conventions in the Salt Lake metro area ranging from the really big Salt Lake Comic Con to the small ones like Conduit and Salt City Steamfest. Some of the smaller ones are cheaper to attend, and I recall Fandemonium being fairly reasonably priced-- and driving to Boise or Salt Lake (or even Seattle for some of their cons) is a lot cheaper than flying to San Diego or Atlanta. I work with a lot of the local-to-SLC conventions, and they either give discounts or free passes to volunteers-- which is a good way to get involved in the con community and make friends as well as getting a cheap ticket. There've also been a few tOR.N-specific moot-ups in the Denver area that I've traveled to, often posted on this board, although I don't know how feasible that might be for you.

A good way to see what there is in your local community is to check with places like local game shops, libraries, or universities (if you have one) to see what sort of fan groups use them for meeting places. Game shops also often have a bulletin board where you can put up a flyer asking if there are fans of X, Y, or Z in the area looking to get together. The internet is also a good resource for that sort of thing.

Hope you find that helpful!

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Cirashala
Valinor

May 6 2014, 3:09am

Post #3 of 3 (336 views)
Shortcut
that was helpful a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

I live 2 hours drive away from the Canadian border in north Idaho, and it's 18 hours with only gas and bathroom break stops (at the same time) to Denver- I used to live in Aurora and we had to make this drive in one day when my grandfather passed away back in 2000 (my grandma lives in WA about forty mins away from where I live now).

So Salt Lake is a bit far, and Denver is definitely too far. Boise even is 8 hours away, as I have to cross the Rockies to get to it (or add 4 hours to my trip and a ton of windy roads taking the highway south on the western side).

But I might check out and see if there are any Tolkien fans in game shops or bookstores. I know there has to be at least one, because after leaving a brightly lit theater parking lot after seeing AUJ I forgot to turn my headlights on and got pulled over right away. After he found out what movie I saw, I was suddenly bombarded with "How was the 48 fps? Was the movie any good? Was it close to the book?" lol- turns out the officer was a Tolkienite too! I got asked to turn my lights on, which I did, and no ticket or warning or anything Smile I am a safe driver, but still, that was pretty funny. He also thought I was driving my mom's minivan, not mine, until I said nope it's mine and he looked at my license and his eyes bugged out, and he said he thought I was only 16! Nope- 26 at the time Smile

So yeah, at least one fan over here Smile

Thanks Inferno!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.