The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Concerning Thuringwethil

boldog
Rohan

May 2 2014, 9:26am

Post #1 of 3 (722 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Thuringwethil Can't Post

She has a brief mention in The story of Beren and Luthien, as the messanger of Sauron to Morgoth, who Luthien took her form. I just have a few questions about this character that Id like to have answered please Smile

1. Was she a bat, a vampire or a vampiric shapeshifter? Was she a Maiar or corrupt elf? (not orc). The way i have always pictured her was like a female version of Sauron i.e a Maiar. Perhaps she had a fair vampiric form, and could change into a bat. Like Sauron can turn into a wolf. I like that idea.

2. Did Luthien kill her? How could Luthien have the power to obtain her form if she was still alive? Did she Kill her, thus enabling her to take up her form?

3. Sauron and Thuringwethil dark lovers? I have thought of this only recently, but what if she was the lover of Sauron. Bit of fanfic, i know, But considering he was once a fair Maiar, I like the idea that she was in love with him before hand, and fell to darkness with him. They both are of that same vampiric nature at the time, so it could be a possibility

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 2 2014, 1:44pm

Post #2 of 3 (603 views)
Shortcut
Very cool idea [In reply to] Can't Post

3. Sauron and Thuringwethil dark lovers? I have thought of this only recently, but what if she was the lover of Sauron. Bit of fanfic, i know, But considering he was once a fair Maiar, I like the idea that she was in love with him before hand, and fell to darkness with him. They both are of that same vampiric nature at the time, so it could be a possibility

This is a very interesting and new theory! I have read the story twice myself and didn't think about it that way but I think its highly possible. It sure would make a great fanfic if nothing else.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2014, 3:47pm

Post #3 of 3 (628 views)
Shortcut
Thuringwethil [In reply to] Can't Post

If we consider The Silmarillion to the be final word on the story of Beren and Luthien then it reads as though the great hound Huan slew Thuringwethil, as he had the Werewolf Draugluin, and that the bat-fell of Thuringwethil was literally the Vampire's winged skin/hide. This also agrees with Canto XII of "The Lay of Leithian" which reads, in part:

Ere long they knew, for Huan came, his great breath panting, eyes like flame, in fear, lest her, whom he forsook to aid, some hunting evil took (150) ere he was nigh. Now there he laid before their feet, as dark as shade, two grisly shapes that they had won from that tall isle in Sirion: a wolfhame huge - its savage fell (155) was long and matted, dark the spell that drenched the dreadful coat and skin, the werewolf cloak of Draugluin; the other was a batlike garb with mighty fingered wings, a barb (160) like iron nail at each joint's end - such wings as their dark cloud extend against the moon, when in the sky from Deadly Nightshade screeching fly Sauron's messengers.

Thuringwethil was likely a corrupted Maiar or other lesser Ainur. Tolkien never hinted that she and Sauron might have been lovers, but that is an intriguing notion.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.