Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - Vanderstelt Studio The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Print Up For Sale

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 1 2014, 9:05pm

Post #1 of 12 (448 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - Vanderstelt Studio The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Print Up For Sale Can't Post

THEHOBBITDOSPAPER_zps7483134eEarlier this week we showed you a preview of Smaug from Jerry Vanderstelts upcoming print for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Tonight, we're pleased to let you know that this print is officially up for order! This stunning print has so many of the great things we saw in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It includes incredible images of Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, Smaug, Azog, Bard, Legolas, Tauriel, Radagast, The Necromancer, and much more. Once again Jerry has made a must have collectible for Middle-earth fans. Fans can snag this print in three different types of displaying options;  a Canvas Giclee which can be purchased starting at $325, an Epic Canvas Giclee that also comes in at $325 but is limited to 10 pieces total, and Paper Giclee for just $65. No matter which option you choose this is going to be a stand out item in your collection. So order your print today!

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 8:34am

Post #2 of 12 (322 views)
Shortcut
Stunning indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

We wants it, preciousss...

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Elessar
Valinor

May 2 2014, 5:41pm

Post #3 of 12 (307 views)
Shortcut
Get it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jerry has a great price on the paper version. Its super great artsy quality that holds the details super well. That is the version I bought last night.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 3 2014, 12:04am

Post #4 of 12 (352 views)
Shortcut
There goes the budget - LOL eating cheap for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

I never should have looked. But I did. I looked, I drooled, I bought.

And I'm not sorry. I LOVE this.HeartHeartHeart IMO it's incredible work.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 12 (288 views)
Shortcut
PS - truly gorgeous, no picture does this justice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow. Just received my print and couldn't stop staring at it. Love the flow of the composition and transfixed by the artist's use of color and light - there are delicate washes where one color segues to another, and touches of light and mist that keep this from feeling too dark.

And a wealth of details that I love, like the bees around Beorn and the faintest dusting of stars near Tauriel. There's a texture and lushness and Smaug is a marvel. Love, love, what the artist did with all the characters, especially.....well, all of them, capturing the faces (which seems to be a problem for many) and expressions. Love that Balin is near Thorin, utterly love the flow of Thorin to Thranduil and Thrandui's pose, love Gandalf and Beorn, love the weight of the characters in the piece, love the texture of the Arkenstone at the top.

Love it so much I wish I could buy another $$$$ one though have no idea where I would put it. I could say I like this much better than the official DOS poster (except for the pose of Thorin w. Orcrist in that one) which is very nice, but didn't care for making Gandalf the "center" and some other things bothered me. But it is almost a travesty to even compare the two in that the JV work is truly art. And since I love DOS I am happy to have such a rich, gorgeous piece to complement the film - it's almost like you could fall into the print.

BTW the size I purchased is about the same in length as United Cutlery's Orcrist, so the print and the replica sword displayed together give a nice "asymmetrical balance" effect.

Elessar
Valinor

May 20 2014, 11:06pm

Post #6 of 12 (278 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

His stuff is pretty darn cool. Do you mind if I pass on your reaction to Jerry?

Avandel
Half-elven

May 21 2014, 1:05am

Post #7 of 12 (277 views)
Shortcut
No, not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

If I met the artist I would say, honestly, that you cannot appreciate the beauty if this work except in person (or possibly an unfortunate posting of a VERY high resolution image which I hope never happens except years and years from now in a retrospective book).

Even then, there are these subtle textural lines (you can only see up close) and use of light (somehow - the light looks alive and real) and use of color and detail - IMO it is exquisite and strong at the same time. Elessar, I could go on and on about this work! I cannot imagine the labor and thought that went into it, as the images flow and I think you can see your eye wants to move from the top of the image to the bottom. It's wonderful.

Everyone has their own taste, but think this art would be valued by anyone who enjoyed the Hobbit films and/or loves Middle Earth - it FEELS like Middle Earth. For me it is something to cherish for years. (And I think PJ and the WETA folks would enjoy having this in their halls, somewhere, as I think they would appreciate the artistry - Smaug is just a marvel - OK I will stop now Cool

Elessar
Valinor

May 21 2014, 3:50pm

Post #8 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
I passed it on [In reply to] Can't Post

He was quite appreciative of the kind words and glad you like the print so much. I agree with you on just how amazing these prints are. I have several from Jerry and the detail in them is quite impressive. They're some of the best pieces in my collection.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 21 2014, 8:07pm

Post #9 of 12 (259 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad as I am in awe [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess as a "crafty Ringer" I'd be someone who is going to be into color and light - and I was staring again at the print last night. Fascinated with whatever JV did in his use of light, because the characters look backlit by light or fire - and the gentle shifts of color. It's very rich and somehow SO Middle Earth - light and mist and textures. There's even the spiders - all beautifully done.

Course as a mad Thorin fan I'm gonna look VERY hard at any depictions of the Mountain King, and here it's perfection - skin tones, hair, likeness, expression. Plus not only is Smaug amazing, it's a very cool placement with Bilbo, and the Arkenstone near Bilbo's feet (shining with light, too).

Yes, I have some modest collectibles, but this print is a highlight in the room - placed it right where I can look at it every day. I would have loved to have just sat for days and watched JV create this! And thanks to TORn of course who posted about this, that's how I saw it in the first place.Heart

Elessar
Valinor

May 22 2014, 4:18am

Post #10 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
In awe [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I love the way he uses the various colors and his skills to crest not only light but depth to it all. It looks and feels like a 3D piece, which I find simply amazing. The feel of Middle-earth is one of the things I think comes through in all of Jerry's pieces. I'm sure I've told him this that he is so great at capture that feel. It helps he's a huge fan himself but even saying that having that feel is so important and I'm glad we get that in his pieces.

The placement of everything allows your eyes to flow and pick up those little details that are so well put in. You can get a sense of the entire story IMO just looking at these prints.

I'm with ya there. They're a highlight or should be IMO of any collection. I watched him last year at comic-con create the Legolas piece he did. It's a fascinating process to see something come alive and then later own where that ended up. We're glad that we get to work with Jerry and make sure folks get to know that his stuff is coming out. He creates the best art work out there and we don't want fans to miss out on owning something like this. Do you own his AUJ print?

PS: Jerry was very appreciative of your kind words and says thank you for them. :)

Avandel
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 1:21pm

Post #11 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
Wish I had the AUJ print now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elessar (love your name BTW) funny you should mention the AUJ print. I was thinking just yesterday I ought to go back and re-think getting that one at some point - alas need some budget recovery, but it is something to think about. And I am already fretting - will JV do something re BOFA? I can't imagine......!

With the amount of work the art must have taken, I am happy (as I hope the WETA folks know) that JV knows there ARE people out there who notice and are thrilled by details, artistry. Thank you for passing on my comments - since they were put on the Internet they are "out there" and think the artist should know he is being publicly applauded, long and loudly!

"I love the way he uses the various colors and his skills to crest not only light but depth to it all. It looks and feels like a 3D piece, which I find simply amazing."

For this print, that's it exactly - I think that's what I meant by feeling as though you could "fall into" the print. And I've always been fascinated by artists who can create light with paints - here IMO it's perfection - just the gleam from Gandalf's staff, for instance, or the rays of light that cross Thorin (whose likeness and skin tones and expression are just more perfection, as well as the power and fire of the character being captured, to my delight - as well as the carved Arkenstone which is a motif from the movie I loved).

Wish I could have watched JV work *wistful*. LOL tho I am happy TORn staff both highlight his work and are in direct contact, time to time, with PJ & co. and artists like Jerry - providing "succor" and information for the fans (TORn was like a refuge to come to during that long DOS wait - oh, the excitement when the first images started going up Cool) and serving as a kind of bridge to these magical creators. (And does some of the best interviews, too).Heart

Elessar
Valinor

May 22 2014, 2:06pm

Post #12 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
I hope you snag it [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey :) Thanks!! Aragorn is my favorite character and I love the look he had in the movie when he moves to the Elessar phase.

I hope once your budget bounces back a bit you can go back and get it. That print is every bit as good as the DOS print and when he does the BOTFA print you will want to have all three.

You're welcome. I know that both Weta and JV are always glad to read or hear the kind words from us fans. So I knew he would be excited to read comments from a fan who was so pleased with the work that he put into creating that print.

Great minds think a like. Cool I'm totally with you. I think the way he works with creating it all just has such a wonderful flow. As I said you can get a jist of the whole story just by looking at his print. It speaks to his talent I think.

It was pretty cool. Maybe at comic-con we can if he's doing something like that again capture some of it so people can see what it's like. We love doing it and helping spread the good word of what these folks are doing. We're all fans of Middle-earth and when someone is doing great work we want other fans to know about. it. It especially helps when they're great people like Jerry, PJ, etc. We hope that we do a good job of making sure fans get all the information about the films, books, etc that they can get. If we miss something we always want to know so that way the bridge as you so well put it is complete with all the stuff someone may want.

So thank you for being a fan of us and with us to come down this road that leads us all to Middle-earth.Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.