Movie Tech. Disc. 5 - Building Middle-earth: Props
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 12 2008, 11:18am

Post #76 of 96 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Where to begin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thirty plus pages of the Red Book -- that is a lot of calligraphy. Wouldn't you love to sit down with that and go through it page by page, reading the text, looking at the illustrations, lingering on all of the little quirks and "mistakes" and things in the margins? Can you imagine? What better way to be transported to Middle-Earth?

I wonder how long this all took. I also wonder if the original final pages based on The Scouring of the Shire still exist. I would love to read both versions.

"I've always wanted to finish writing Bilbo's Journal someday." Now that got my attention.

Did the Sceptre of Annuminas show up in the movies? I would love to see the design for the Calendar of Imladris. I said that if I could have only one prop from the movies, I would want the map of The Lonely Mountain. But it was extremely difficult trying to decide between that and the Elven telescope. That telescope is so cool! I used to be president of the local astronomy club and I just fell in love with that telescope.

And so we come to the book. What a terrible shame that the quota had been filled. Just think what we could have had. But he said that the door has never been completely shut. He said that he's hopeful. That sounds encouraging! "Or there has been the possibility of a general 'The Art of Daniel Reeve' book." Hey, I could live with that. In fact, have you seen his paintings? We have been concentrating on his calligraphy and maps, but his paintings are fantastic, too. While we're at it, let's have two books.

Nibs and quills -- l little more technical stuff. You know, I love the technical stuff.

Well, I think that I need a bit of a sit down and a cup of tea after all of that. I just can't thank Daniel Reeve enough for taking the time to do this. And a great big thanks to you, Elven, this could not have worked out better. I wonder if everyone on TORn knows what you have here.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2008, 11:27am

Post #77 of 96 (3974 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Peredhil Lover and Elven. Glad you appreciate the map. By the way, I've uploaded the Details of West Middle-earth again (the file was initially uploaded with a different name). Sorry about that.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 12 2008, 9:01pm

Post #78 of 96 (4015 views)
Shortcut
I once saw a Star Trek props warehouse [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in person, you understand, but on a documentary talking about an auction held by Christie's of the costumes & props from the movies and series. They needed someone to tell them what was worth selling and how high to start the bidding and so released two fans into the warehouse with the rest of the auction team. I'm no Trekkie, but I would have loved a chance like that! And it was very much like Raiders of the Lost Ark, with boxes and boxes just waiting to be opened. I hope that somewhere the LOTR props and costumes are as well stored.

Perhaps every ticket you buy for The Hobbit should enter you into a drawing for an hour or two in the LOTR warehouse!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 12 2008, 11:05pm

Post #79 of 96 (3974 views)
Shortcut
That's terrific! [In reply to] Can't Post

Impressive, most impressive! And I love the lettering. Thanks, Earl.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 12 2008, 11:20pm

Post #80 of 96 (4002 views)
Shortcut
...an hour or two in the LOTR warehouse. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could live with that. I wonder if you could buy those movie tickets in blocks!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2008, 12:10am

Post #81 of 96 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez... my favourite prop? [In reply to] Can't Post

Right away I have to say Frodo's Shire Cloak... but the old, battered map of the Lonely Mountain is definitely right up there. It's brilliant, but the cloak has always been a favourite of mine; even moreso since I saw it at the LotR Exhibition. It's magical!

What always impresses me with the props is how each piece is unique and so much thought was put into considering the history each piece would hold. With the massive amount of work ahead of the creators for getting the props ready, they were careful to treat each item with an awareness of how and who would use it. This care shows. Astounding! Brilliant!

I'd heard that the lamps were ordered at the last minute, but to see the process of how they conquered this task is so indicitive of the "can do" attitude of everyone in these films! I mean, my gosh... from chain saws to detailed knife work on those amazing sculptures just makes me shake my head. If I could grow apples like that...

*sigh*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2008, 12:58am

Post #82 of 96 (3986 views)
Shortcut
This lovely man [In reply to] Can't Post

has really become the poster child of talent and grace for these films, imho. For me anyway. The stress he must have had when he tried to work during the day and meet the needs for the films! To give up his "safe" job to pursue this dream must have had its moment, fersher.

When I had the opportunity to talk with him during the autographs at ORC, I was so surprised at his calmness and ease of just having a chat right there around hundreds of people waiting in the line. What a great guy :)

sample sample

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 5:56am

Post #83 of 96 (3985 views)
Shortcut
Only one or two? [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend had to wait two and a half hour before finally managing to drag me out of the movie exhibit in Potsdam - and that was the second time I was there, after London. And in the warehouse would be so much more to find, I suppose Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elven
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 11:36am

Post #84 of 96 (3984 views)
Shortcut
I want a Calander of Imladris! [In reply to] Can't Post

to sit in the middle of my living room so I can watch the leaves falls into place - just amazing!!
Smile

Daniel:
The Red Book, without doubt.

I wrote 30 pages of this, as Bilbo, plus the final 6 pages as Frodo. And of course there were all the preliminary trials, and extra title pages, etc. So altogether, it was quite a lot of work.

Having read The Hobbit (and LOTR, and The Silmarillion) innumerable times since my teens, I sat down with it once more and then wrote as I thought Bilbo would have, making special mention of food, and the wonderful beer at the Prancing Pony, etc. There are many quirks, "mistakes", illustrations, additions - things like adding the names of the thirteen dwarves into the margin, as if in afterthought, on the pages describing the unexpected party. Or composing (at a later date, of course) the Troll song (which Sam sings in the book The Fellowship of the Ring) in the margins of the pages describing the troll encounter. Writing as Bilbo, I got as far as the finding of the Ring.

I also composed text for the final pages of the book, but did this without seeing the film script, so my version was based on The Scouring of the Shire. Peter and Fran realised they needed to provide me with text to match the film, so Fran then composed - and I wrote - the last couple of pages, which tell of the fates of the other members of The Fellowship, as in the voiceover in the movie. I then wrote a few more pages to precede this, and the job was done.

I've always wanted to finish writing Bilbo's journal someday. Maybe that day will eventuate after all....

30 pages of any book is alot to write ... especially the preparation and then doing the final article ... I can imagine why the red book was the longest in the process ... its an amazing achievement ..
and also writing 'as' Bilbo! putting things in margins ... I think doing it this way sounds very Tolkien/Bilbo-ish Wink ...
What a lovely story in the way the book was completed ... there would be so much satisfaction in finally finishing what Peter and Fran wanted, and the book such a loved and well known part of the story ...
and Im sure you are about to get started on that journal, now with the story that the Hobbit maybe around the corner!
It might just be needed! Wink
Great work Daniel!

Smile

My question:
> I noticed you designed the Elven telescope. Where there other things you
> designed for the movie beyond the calligraphy pieces?

Daniel:
There were a couple of other things for Rivendell, which I designed along the telescope, all in the same week. There was the Sceptre of Annuminas, which was made, and the Calendar of Imladris, which wasn't. This was an intricate 3-dimensional calendar, like a tree, from which all the days of the year hung like glittering leaves, and dropped, one by one, to the "floor" of the structure, bordering which was a kind of freize depicting the appropriate constellations for that time of year. It was very cool, but we ran out of time to make it.

The telescope was really neat, too, and would have worked in reality, with the sliding middle lens. The guy who built it to my design realised this, and made sure the equatorial mount could move, etc, so that Elrond could track the movements of the heavens. And because Middle Earth would have had no light pollution, I left the lens system free of an enclosing barrel - much more elegant and elvish that way!

Im gobsmacked! I would have loved to have seen a version of the calendar Daniel describes! What a piece that would have been! It certainly 'works' for me, the leaves falling and aligning with the constellations of the time ... thats an amazing concept!
The telescope looks amazing too! ... so simple and elegant!
I love calidascopes (sp?Evil) .... maybe Bilbo will come across one next when he's in Rivendell ...Wink

My Question:
> Would you, or have you, considered bringing out a publication of the
> work that you did for The Lord Of The Rings?

Daniel:
I've definitely considered this, and I approached Harper Collins (Houghton Mifflin) about it. But there had been a quota for movie-related LOTR books agreed upon between New Line, Harper Collins and Tolkien Estate, and that quota had already been filled.

But the door has never been completely shut. In the event that The Hobbit was filmed, for example, discussions could resume... And now, years later, guess what! Or there has been the possibility of a general "The Art of Daniel Reeve" book.

So, we shall see what we shall see... - I'm hopeful....

Daniel if you are reading this - we's wants one!! ... and for us all here, it should be one of the first things on the publishing list if that other movie comes about Wink!
I really hope this turns out to be a reality - it would be lovely - and something really special for calligraphy buffs (even if they didnt see the movie - Im sure theres probably one or two somewhere) ... its not often the scribe is showcased, and I think with all the work you did, and bringing the art back in the movie, added so much authenticity to it.
Crossing fingers for a publication ... I was dissapointed in my Art Of The Lord Of The Rings Book ... that your work wasnt it there .. so I think you deserve one of your own.

My question:
> Regarding your writing material:
> Did you make any of your own scribing tools? ... your own nibs, or did you
> use commercial nibs and inks.

Daniel:
I cut and used numerous quills, as well as some commercial nibs. For some of the papers we were using, the quill turned out to be the best way of getting ink onto it, and it has since become one of my main tools of the trade. It gives such a lovely, uneven line! Lots of character.

I used commercial inks though. You have to be pretty practical in the movie business, to keep up with schedules and stay within budgets.

There are people who are experts at making inks and paints, and there are people who are experts at making paper. I'd like to try doing these things at some time, but for now I have so much to do, that I'll concentrate on my own area of expertise, and for inks and paints I'll rely on those who do it best.

Its so nice to see the quill return ... what a great writing tool in general! ... I have become a little more aware now when I see a feather, of how I could use it to write withm what sort of thickness I would get in the writing, how much ink they might hold .. if they'd be any good ... Im was so suprised to see how different a single feather from one bird id to another, when you think about writing with it ... I have a Bilbo feather but have not made it into a quill yet ... not until I can get another one in case I stuff it up ... Smile

For those who have been following the Daniel Reeves thread, just to let you know, I will email him and thank him for giving us a great discussion this week ... and thankyou to everyone who has joined in and read about Daniels work, and OhioHobbit for giving us the chance to discuss it!

Cheers
Elven

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 1:13pm

Post #85 of 96 (3995 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Please thank him very much for this insight in his work! And tell him, if there's ever any discussion if a book about his LotR work should be published, he should direct everyone here to see how much we want it! Wink

My thanks to OhioHobbit and you, too, for a wonderful and very interesting discussion!

Elven
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 3:03pm

Post #86 of 96 (3972 views)
Shortcut
Great thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mwaha - we have almost opened with the same line LOL!! I thought the same thing - lots of work in the Red Book, and yes, wouldnt it be cool to sit down and read it ... I hope if ever there is a book, that these pages could be included. A nice fold out or addition print in the back of the book of the page that Gandalf read in the Archives of Minas Tirith would be a nice inclusion as well ...

Bilbo's Map, as far as I can remember, was given to Elijah Wood as a parting present from the movies ... I keep wondering if Peter will ask if he could borrow it back for the Hobbit ... it will be onw thing that people will surely recognize every deatil about from FOTR. Im sure Elijah wouldnt mind Smile

I will pass on your suggestion of 2 books ... Thats a great idea!
and Thankyou for your comments - and for providing the place where things like this can come about!

Cheers
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 3:18pm

Post #87 of 96 (3976 views)
Shortcut
A perfect place to put this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats so interesting!
I kept looking at the parchment trying to place the font, as to me, it looks familiar, but I wondered if Daniel had done this? There's something about the way its designed and outlayed, and the way the letters are what I call 'over-scrolled' ... maybe I should ask him ... but hey ... Id accept a hand written lunch order .. Wink

A very interesting site!

Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 3:22pm

Post #88 of 96 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou gramma ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Im sure you're exactly right - the pressure to get the job done, but we got the best for the movies - and we have been well rewarded with Daniels talent and approach to things that mean so much to us!

You said it wonderfully - thankyou!

Cheers
Elven x

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 6:31pm

Post #89 of 96 (3966 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alcarcalime and I went to a LOTR exhibit in Indianapolis, Indiana, and I just wanted to camp out in the exhibit. I couldn’t stand in front of any one thing too long because other people wanted to see, also, so I just kept going round and round, even when I went back the second time.

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 6:32pm

Post #90 of 96 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Well said gramma. // [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 6:33pm

Post #91 of 96 (3963 views)
Shortcut
No hesitation at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know what you want! I saw that at the Indianapolis Exhibition also and I must admit that it is pretty cool.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 14 2008, 7:35am

Post #92 of 96 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Just wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the whole exhibit count as a prop? It would solve a rather big dilemma what to chose as a favourite prop! Wink

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 14 2008, 10:56am

Post #93 of 96 (3956 views)
Shortcut
If you think of the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

as exhibits, then you can think of the exhibit as a prop! Hmmm, now I have all kinds of decorating ideas going through my head.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2008, 3:32pm

Post #94 of 96 (3964 views)
Shortcut
*shiver* I've been reading through [In reply to] Can't Post

all of your posts on Daniel's work again, and once again... I'm tearing up. This is fantastic, Elven! omg..

Gracious... that wonderful man is that.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2008, 3:40pm

Post #95 of 96 (3956 views)
Shortcut
FOUR!!! Please *twitch* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Feb 16 2008, 9:16pm

Post #96 of 96 (4303 views)
Shortcut
Re: Dan Reeve's Answers - The Sceptre of Annuminas? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My question:
> I noticed you designed the Elven telescope. Where there other things you
> designed for the movie beyond the calligraphy pieces?

Daniel:
There were a couple of other things for Rivendell, which I designed along the telescope, all in the same week. There was the Sceptre of Annuminas, which was made, and the Calendar of Imladris, which wasn't. This was an intricate 3-dimensional calendar, like a tree, from which all the days of the year hung like glittering leaves, and dropped, one by one, to the "floor" of the structure, bordering which was a kind of freize depicting the appropriate constellations for that time of year. It was very cool, but we ran out of time to make it.

The telescope was really neat, too, and would have worked in reality, with the sliding middle lens. The guy who built it to my design realised this, and made sure the equatorial mount could move, etc, so that Elrond could track the movements of the heavens. And because Middle Earth would have had no light pollution, I left the lens system free of an enclosing barrel - much more elegant and elvish that way!

Is there anywhere a picture of the Sceptre of Annuminas? Can it be seen in the film, in the background or something? All this time I thought It was left out completely....
Now that I know it was actually made-- how/where can I see it?

And, this may be a shot in the dark-- Since the sceptre was made, does the Elessar also exist? Again, I thought it was left out completely, but it's worth a shot. Was it made? I have seen an illustration of it by John Howe, but I'm not sure if it is related to the film. There really aren't many artist's renderings of the Elessar out there.

(This post was edited by Urambo Tauro on Feb 16 2008, 9:21pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.