Do you have any tattoos? Can't Post

If you do, how many and what kind of?

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 24 (377 views)
Shortcut
I don't have any [In reply to] Can't Post

but as soon as I pick a Tolkien one I like and find a good quality place, I am sooo getting one!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2014, 8:44pm

Post #3 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
I have one [In reply to] Can't Post

on the inside of my left wrist on the pulse point. It is a stylized heart - the same heart I sign on cards and letters to my kids. It was my 50th birthday present to myself.

My daughter has "Not all who wander are lost" in Elvish along with the same heart wrapped around her wrist like a bracelet.

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Apr 29 2014, 8:44pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 24 (345 views)
Shortcut
I have three. [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a little heart with a tail on my left forearm when i was 18.
Much later i got a Gwaihir/Gandalf one on my left upper arm.
And my biggest one is on the outside of my right calf. It is sort of a story line kind of thing of Frodo's life's journey.

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 30 2014, 12:05am

Post #5 of 24 (330 views)
Shortcut
Want one but I'm stuck on design [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few ideas on what I would like to get but can't settle on which I would go with first.
Likewise then finding a good place to bet it done at.

Starglass
Rivendell

Apr 30 2014, 2:44pm

Post #6 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
I voted for "no, but I'd like to get one" [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I'm closer to "no, but sometimes I think I want one." Actually, what I want to do is learn how to do henna tattoos (anybody ever done that before?) That way I can see if I like it and won't have to deal with it the rest of my life it I don't.

(This post was edited by Starglass on Apr 30 2014, 2:45pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 30 2014, 2:50pm

Post #7 of 24 (315 views)
Shortcut
I voted no [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would try a temporary one just for fun.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 3:07pm

Post #8 of 24 (332 views)
Shortcut
The reason I ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is that I've been thinking about getting one. I have the place and the design picked out, but I have yet to decide if I have the guts to actually go through with it.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 5:10pm

Post #9 of 24 (315 views)
Shortcut
As a suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

I would recommend delving into Alan Lee's and John Howe's sketches. There is no one better in conceptual sensual art in the Tolkien world than these two.

Use your power of emotion to conceptualize images to design your tattoo too. Just let it all simmer for a good while. I feel that something like this, must have no sense of hurry. After you have what you think you want. Let it simmer more to see if you like it; ALL the time and not MOST of the time. I suggest also waiting three seasons to make the finally decision.

The next and of the same importance is finding the right artist. AGAIN, one cannot be in any kind of hurry. As i see you live in my state, i could recommend at least,starting with where i ended up, Starlight Tattoo. Go online to see what they are about. The artist that i used is not there anymore (i felt he was the best) but it is a quality shop. They use the best inks available.

It is critical to view each artists picture portfolio, either online or in the shop, to see if you can build confidence in the artist's skill, mood, style and 'grace of line' i will call it. If nothing strikes you strongly, move on. Just keep looking. Look of course all around where you live. If you see someone with a strikingly enough tattoo, introduce yourself and ask where they got theirs. I am sure they will be happy to talk on all matters concerning tattoos

Another factor is price. Never ever compromise on this. In the event you find an artist that you like, including after meeting him/her, and discussing what you want, then discuss price. If it seems too much, you either are not ready for a tattoo, you do not like the artist as much as you thought or you just do not have that amount available. If everything is a go, go home and let your thoughts settle. Then if all is still good, call and make your appointment to have it done. I will bet that upon making that appointment, there will be a strong telling if you are indeed confident you made the right decision.

Good luck Glassary. If you have any other thoughts/questions, please ask:).

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 30 2014, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 24 (312 views)
Shortcut
I say only do it if you are certain. [In reply to] Can't Post

When it comes to things like this I think you really should want it and should not be something you are talked in to. If you think in twenty years you will still want this tattoo then go for it but make sure it's what you want.
Lol life lessons from the seventeen year old.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 6:17pm

Post #11 of 24 (301 views)
Shortcut
I do want it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's getting it done that makes me uneasy.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 30 2014, 6:20pm

Post #12 of 24 (299 views)
Shortcut
I understand that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no experience in these thing so I can't say if it will hurt but I do have an uncle with several. Apparently it's not too bad or he wouldn't have so many.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 6:42pm

Post #13 of 24 (290 views)
Shortcut
It's not so much the pain I'm worried about [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm bit of a hypochondriac and I'm afraid getting an infection or some sort of a disease. Crazy

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 30 2014, 6:47pm

Post #14 of 24 (297 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Consult your local health department. Usually they have some of inspection program in place and can direct you to reputable and safe professional tattoo artists. Never let a "friend of a friend" do it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 6:50pm

Post #15 of 24 (281 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tip! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 30 2014, 8:18pm

Post #16 of 24 (274 views)
Shortcut
I've never had one, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Actually, what I want to do is learn how to do henna tattoos (anybody ever done that before?)

but I know a lot people in the SCA like them. Is there an SCA group near you? www.sca.org

Patty
Immortal

May 1 2014, 1:21am

Post #17 of 24 (274 views)
Shortcut
But a pretty grown up 17 year old... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find you to be more than impressive ! I'd take a life lesson from you. Sometimes the young can remind us oldsters of lessons that we learned but lost along the way.

As for me, no tattoos, thanks very much. I have one piercing in each ear. Other than that, I go a long way to avoid pain.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 1:08pm

Post #18 of 24 (234 views)
Shortcut
I put "no, and i don't plan on getting any," [In reply to] Can't Post

but that's not entirely accurate. I probably will never get one, but i can't completely rule anything out. Who knows what's down that road?

Elessar
Valinor

May 2 2014, 1:37pm

Post #19 of 24 (230 views)
Shortcut
Not yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep kicking around getting a Middle-earth themed one. I just really don't like needles all that much.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 2 2014, 4:14pm

Post #20 of 24 (220 views)
Shortcut
Suddenly I'm flashing back on Rocky Horror. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Got any tattoos, Janet? How about you, Brad?"

I don't, and don't plan on getting any. It just feels too permanent to me. I do enjoy body painting though, and henna.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 2 2014, 4:21pm

Post #21 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
I've done henna "tattoos". [In reply to] Can't Post

You can get kits that make it pretty easy. I've found that the traditional place to do them, on the palms of the hands, works better than other places: lasts longer and goes on easier. The skin there is a little different, I guess. I did a really nice labyrinth on my palm once. They last about a month.

I also like the little booklets of decals that Dover sells, like this one. They're not genuine henna, but they look great and last about a week. And they're really easy.

And I color my hair with henna sometimes. I use this kind. I like that it fades out before you get that streak of hair in the part that doesn't match the color. It does come out green the first day, so I make sure I'm doing it on a Friday night and not a work night :-D

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on May 2 2014, 4:27pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

May 3 2014, 6:50pm

Post #22 of 24 (207 views)
Shortcut
One [In reply to] Can't Post

I got one relatively large tattoo on the back of my left shoulder in memory of my dog that I had for almost 15 years. It's of my dog with his butt in the air all playful alongside the name. It's beautiful and I never will regret it. It felt like a necessary thing to do for me to move on because that dog meant the world to me and now I have a proof of it that I'll always love him even when he's long gone.

Sentimental I know.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 4 2014, 5:22pm

Post #23 of 24 (202 views)
Shortcut
I have 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm planning on a 3rd and 4th.

My tattoos of Tolkien's symbol and tengwar for NZ that looks like M-e (Middle-earth).

The next 2 I get will be a TORn symbol Magpie created (see attached below), and Tolkien's worm.

Attachments: TORn tattoo.jpg (5.63 KB)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 4 2014, 9:32pm

Post #24 of 24 (220 views)
Shortcut
Cute [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the idea of a tattoo meaning something to you personally.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.