Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you believe in astrology?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you believe in astrology?
No. Utter rubbish! 31 / 62%
No, not really a believer though I do enjoy reading my horoscope  6 / 12%
Not sure. It's not scientific but I've come across some amazing coincidences 8 / 16%
Yes! But you must find yourself a qualified astrologer first 2 / 4%
Other 3 / 6%
50 total votes

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2014, 9:00pm

Post #51 of 53 (153 views)
Shortcut
It's all about gender, dear [In reply to] Can't Post

In the context of Love Signs, for myself, it is only the menfolk that I consider.

I'm sure as Capricorn ladies go, you are completely fascinating! Cool

Annael
Immortal

May 1 2014, 3:55pm

Post #52 of 53 (135 views)
Shortcut
what if it's not about cause and effect? [In reply to] Can't Post

I say that because my class is working on James Hillman's "The Soul's Code" where he argues against what he calls "the parental fallacy" which blames/assigns credit to our genes and upbringing for who we are. His position is that we are born the way we are (and my experience confirms that; all the children I know demonstrated distinct personalities within a matter of weeks after birth, including my identical-twin grandnephews who have very different personalities).

Our desire for "solid logic" as I mention on another thread leads us to think linearly and in terms of cause and effect. But what if that's not actually the way the world works?

If that's so, the astrological chart of one's birth would not be a map so much as a snapshot of potential. A person reading the wrong chart would naturally select out those things that resonate as true and ignore the rest (like we do), but that study you quote had no "controls." It would have been more interesting if they'd been given two charts with their descriptions and asked to choose the one most suited to them. Or better yet, a friend picked the one most like them (as wishful thinking might well be a factor for the person).

(This post was edited by Annael on May 1 2014, 3:57pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 1 2014, 8:23pm

Post #53 of 53 (159 views)
Shortcut
I have a similar experience [In reply to] Can't Post

We get two newspapers on the weekends and I enjoy reading the conflicting predictions for my 'sign' - often, they're at complete odds with each other!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.