The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Books About Tolkien

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Apr 27 2014, 10:43pm

Post #1 of 13 (306 views)
Shortcut
Books About Tolkien Can't Post

How many of you read books about Tolkien and Middle-earth? Which ones are you favorites?

I'm quite partial to Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth. The Philosophy of Tolkien by Peter Kreeft was also good, if I remember correctly, but it's been a long time.

Do you prefer biographical or literary criticism?

TolkienBlog.com

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 7:51am

Post #2 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
I have enjoyed ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shippey's "Author of the Century" (of which I have 2 copies... want one?) and his previous book, "The Road to Middle Earth". Humphrey Carpenter's authorized bio is a must-read, if you haven't already.

This past year I enjoyed "Tolkien and the Study of His Sources" by Jason Fisher, who posts here as visualweasel.

demnation
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 8:13am

Post #3 of 13 (196 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien and the Great War is probably my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Tom Shippey's work as well, though I generally find literary criticism to be dreadfully dull. Reading hundreds of pages of what is basically one persons perspective on a work is never fun. But that's the problem with fiction: it's inherently not factual, so everyone's thoughts just go in circles with no real answer in sight. Still, I force myself to read it to try and gain new insight into works I love. I was reading your blog (Great Stuff there, BTW. I'll keep visiting it, to be sure.) and I very much agree with your view (even though you didn't elaborate) of Carpenter's bio of Tolkie n. But I love biography, and I especially love learning about people (especially people I admire as much as Tolkien.) As much about their lives, quirks and (yes) flaws and you could feasibly put into a book. Sadly for us, there are whole sections of Tolkien's life that we cannot see. His marriage, for example, is largely a closed door to us, and what few glimpses we have of it are scattershot, sometimes beautiful and sometimes not so pleasant (but what marriage isn't like that!) Carpenter even excluded a swathe of letters between Tolkien and his wife due to their highly personal nature. Still, it's largely none of our business anyway! (Sorry for the tangents, but this topic opened new lines of thought for me!)

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 4:54pm

Post #4 of 13 (189 views)
Shortcut
I second Shippey, & also highjly recommend Verlyn Flieger [In reply to] Can't Post

For example...Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien. Verlyn Flieger. Kent State University Press, 2012. Here's a review: http://www.mythsoc.org/...een-suns-and-faerie/

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 5:38pm

Post #5 of 13 (178 views)
Shortcut
I also enjoyed ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Paul Kocher's 'Master of Middle-earth': It was published as a mass market paperback in 1972. Out of print now, but when Squire mentioned it approvingly I didn't find it hard to locate a second hand copy (ah, the wonders of the Internet). Or, let's not forget the public library system...

Kocher's book pre-dates the publication of the Silmarillion, so there is much we know now that the author didn't at the time of writing. But I don't remember thinking that proved much of a fault. The chapter on Aragorn alone is worth what you're likely to pay for a copy.

If you like the philosophical issues Tolkien brings up, you might like
The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy (reviews: http://www.goodreads.com/...Rings_and_Philosophy and The Hobbit and Philosophy , both sets of essays using the books as practical examples of philosophical problems (this works better for me than most popular philosophy treatments)

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 6:51pm

Post #6 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
Nice review! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 13 (157 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! I got the ok on your recommendation, and have been glad I did// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 9:10pm

Post #8 of 13 (161 views)
Shortcut
My dad had a copy of Master of M-E [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh the benefits of a former-Tolkien fan in the family!! I still have his 4 Ballantines. It was an interesting read, as I recall, and definitely a rare resource. I might have to go and re-read it. Thanks for the reminder!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Na Vedui
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 9:43pm

Post #9 of 13 (157 views)
Shortcut
A very nice one [In reply to] Can't Post

is "JRR Tolkien : Artist and Illustrator" - Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull. Lots of his pictures - Middle Earth ones and others too - with a commentary putting them in context.
I'd agree with Elizabeth in recommending Carpenter's biography & Shippey's books.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Apr 29 2014, 5:06am

Post #10 of 13 (140 views)
Shortcut
I've actually been reading [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings and Philosophy. There's definitely some good stuff in there. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more now than I did when I first tried to read it in high school. I took a few philosophy classes in college, so I actually have some familiarity with Aristotle and Nietzsche, who are both referenced pretty frequently.

I have read Carpenter's bio, but it's been quite a few years. While I know that it is the authorized bio, I think people tend to take Carpenter's word as law too much. He exaggerated a few elements (Tolkien's dislike of Shakespeare is the first thing that comes to mind) but so few people question him. That was one of the things that I appreciated about Tolkien and the Great War--he actually challenges Carpenter on a few things.

Has anyone read the Tolkien Compass? It's a collection of essays that I believe was published before the Silmarillion--possibly even before Tolkien's death. I picked up a reprint years ago. I remember starting to read it and then stopping, but I can't recall why. I need to dig it out and try again.

Oh, and Atlas of Middle-earth (http://www.rakuten.com/prod/atlas-of-middle-earth/30715993.html?listingId=331504555&scid=pla_google_SynergyDataInc&adid=17260&gclid=CLPu-oH2hL4CFY0-Mgodg0YAJw) is awesome. It's so thorough. It's really helpful for someone like me who struggles to visual geography! (I'm a native Californian, I know nothing about geography. :P)

TolkienBlog.com

Theodora
The Shire

Apr 29 2014, 6:55pm

Post #11 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
Good question! [In reply to] Can't Post

And great to have a list of books about Tolkien worth reading. I'm going to try and find a few of them. Internet will no doubt help, I'm not sure about our local library but who knows.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

May 2 2014, 8:00pm

Post #12 of 13 (99 views)
Shortcut
After Tolkiens bio, [In reply to] Can't Post

truly love Humphrey Carpenter's
'The Letters of J R R Tolkien" .....cant get enough of seeing what he has to say in his real letters to friends, family, publishers.....

elostirion74
Rohan

May 6 2014, 2:30pm

Post #13 of 13 (98 views)
Shortcut
good question! [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer literary criticism to biographical criticism by far. Literary criticism gives you an opportunity to see Tolkien's ideas and his writing style compared to or in context with other writers or philosophical ideas.

My favourites are Brian Rosebury: Tolkien, a cultural phenomenon and Tom Shippey: A road to Middle-Earth

Tolkien's letters interest me more than biographical criticism, but I admit that I haven't read "Tolkien and the great war" yet, so I may be surprised.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.