Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Regarding Thorin, Fili, and Kili

Name
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 2:32am

Post #1 of 9 (860 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Thorin, Fili, and Kili Can't Post

Big spoilers here (but come on, who here hasn't read the book?)

So this is regarding the death if our select three dwarves. I have been wondering for quite some time how this will happen. For me, the big question is how each will die. We've seen Boromir get loaded with arrows, and Haldir sliced across the back. So what path will they take with Thorin, arguably the main character of these movies? It will have to be believable, but I'm also assuming Thorin won't die immediately, as per the book.
Next comes the timing of Fili and Kili's death, and how close to Thorin's it will be. Any thoughts?

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

LPUAdit
The Shire

Apr 27 2014, 5:43am

Post #2 of 9 (550 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage in an interview [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't seem to find the particular interview but Richard Armitage had said that Thorin's death will be like a heroic suicide. Maybe that means charging into massive number of Orcs but being overpowered.

For Kili & Fili, I would really like to see them die side by side and I am hoping Tauriel is not the reason Kili dies trying to save and in fact it is Thorin or Fili.

I have nothing against Tauriel (I like the character) but this is one thing I hope she is not involved in :)

boldog
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 6:23am

Post #3 of 9 (469 views)
Shortcut
What if Fili and Kili die protecting eachother? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought of a scenario recently that may work out regarding the relationships of the characters. Im going with the idea here, that Fili and Kili dont end up dying by thorins side. What if say fili and kili vs bolg, and are both mortally wounded. Fili dies instantly, having a few last words to Kili. Then as Bolg goes to lay the final blow on Kili, Beorn crushes him. I still cant work out how thorin will get involved and all that

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 6:32am

Post #4 of 9 (465 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the things that's worrying me the most about the next movie. I hate the idea of Tauriel being involved in that scene, and I'm really afraid that she will be... My ideal scenario would be her not even seeing it happen. Let Thorin, Fili, and Kili have their moment. That being said, I still want her to take the stone Dis gave to Kili.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Apr 27 2014, 6:32am)

Elarie
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 12:15pm

Post #5 of 9 (364 views)
Shortcut
I hope that in this instance they stick to the book [In reply to] Can't Post

The book states very bluntly that Fili and Kili die defending Thorin "with shield and body" and even though it's only one sentence, it has always seemed like one of the iconic moments in the story to me. I hope that this aspect doesn't get changed, no matter who else is involved in the fighting or how they choreograph the battle.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 12:33pm

Post #6 of 9 (363 views)
Shortcut
My ideal depiction [In reply to] Can't Post

After many thoughts i came up to the conclusion that the way i want the deaths to be portrayed is this:Fili dies trying to protect Kili and Kili dies trying to protect Thorin.And as a last cherry on the cake i would love to see Tauriel dying from grief and sorrow of Kili's Death.I want a perfect direction for all the deaths involved as well as the last converstation between Bilbo and Thorin by Jackson.I really want it to be heart breaking and emotional.Heart

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 3:29pm

Post #7 of 9 (324 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

it would please me muchly if fili and kili got one arrow through both their heads and thorin had his chopped off, happens all the time to orcs, finally payback time!! where did all that gold get mined from anyway? probably mount gundabad.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Merenwen Vardamir
The Shire

Apr 27 2014, 4:02pm

Post #8 of 9 (304 views)
Shortcut
Nonsense [In reply to] Can't Post

Book Gandalf, You can say all what you want but I think what you are saying is nonsense, first af all, those kind of deaths for the three main dwarves are unworthy for them, they deserve to die better than your ideaMad, second, Peter Jacksonīs films The Hobbit are not his previous horror films with extreme violence and gore.
And for the Gold, if you watched DOS, clearly Thorin tells Smaug that the Gold are theirīs.Mad

(This post was edited by Merenwen Vardamir on Apr 27 2014, 4:06pm)

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 5:33am

Post #9 of 9 (176 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if this is true, but on tumblr someone who went to a convention, maybe two or three weeks ago supposedly asked Stephen Hunter while getting an autograph or something, about the deaths,and while he didn't spoil any details, he(again supposedly) did say Kili's death scene made him cry.

Again I've no idea the context of the conversation or even if it's true(not to mention none of these people seem to be able to keep Fili and Kili straight:), people have been known to lie about their "private" conversation in autograph lines. LOL If it's true though, it could be that they die together but maybe not at exactly the same time, sort of like you envision it.

Both are mortally wounded, Fili goes first having had some last words to Kili, Kili lingers a little longer and perhaps his final words are to an also mortally wounded Thorin.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Apr 28 2014, 5:34am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.