Who will "The Five Armies" actually be?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:00am

Post #26 of 46 (455 views)
Shortcut
Army No 5, and a question [In reply to] Can't Post

will probably an assortment of the Good Guys' allies: Eagles, Beorn and his critter crew

But then does that mean the goblin critter crew get lumped in with the one army?

Seems a bit lopesided to have 4:1 though. Would the general audience buy it that the Armies 1 to 3 needed No 5 to join in the fun to put the goblins in their places? But if No 5 is the orc horde from the Misties, wouldn't it seem like there is actually still 1 army of evil?

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 25 2014, 8:04am

Post #27 of 46 (450 views)
Shortcut
Different Agenda = Different Hosts [In reply to] Can't Post

So...

Elves
Men
Dwarves
Eagles/Gandalf (with potential support)
The Bad Guys

Agenda meaning the original reason to come to Erebor with a host.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Apr 25 2014, 8:04am)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 8:42am

Post #28 of 46 (435 views)
Shortcut
Might not be a bad idea [In reply to] Can't Post

There could even be some Eagle casualties. Might put to bed the 'Why didn't the Eagles fly the Ring to Mount Doom,' argument!

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 9:14am

Post #29 of 46 (455 views)
Shortcut
It better not be! [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast should not be involved. And I don't think he will be, as I suspect he will die at Dol Guldur.

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 12:57pm

Post #30 of 46 (415 views)
Shortcut
If that is the case, then it should be Battle of Six Armies [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you have to account for the Eagles some way.

Or maybe the Eagle's were Middle Earth's air force. Wink

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 2:24pm

Post #31 of 46 (406 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it will seem so lopsided in the Allies' favour... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when you consider that the bulk of their forces will be composed of the Mirkwood elves, as I believe Dain only brings 500 warriors with him, and the army of Men are basically what remains of Lake Town's military after Smaug's attack, which I daresay will not be much.

Meanwhile the enemy is made up of the legion(s?) gathered in Dol Guldur, and, if they follow the book, the goblins from the Misty Mountains seeking revenge for the Great Goblin's death. I would also assume that the army of Dol Guldur will bring the bats with them, which, until the Eagles arrive, will undoubtedly cause problems for the Allies, if only to draw the attention of the Elves and their archers away from the orc army proper.

shadowdog
Rohan

Apr 25 2014, 3:32pm

Post #32 of 46 (376 views)
Shortcut
Depends on where in the battle you are counting [In reply to] Can't Post

Started out as dwarves vs men and elves; then Dain showed up; then when orcs and wolves showed up it became the battle of two armies. Will others jumping at various times. At least that is the battle time line from what I remember of the book.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 7:50pm

Post #33 of 46 (359 views)
Shortcut
so many choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Tolkien made the wargs a separate army, PJ has already made them the carriers of the orcs so they will not be their own army. The eagles might be, but PJ does not give them voices and personalities like Tolkien did. Personally I like whoever suggested Radagast and Beorn leading an army of animals. Can I also say that Beorn himself should count as an army? Anyway my money is on
1. Dwarves (Dain and Thorin's men)
2. Elves (Mirkwood not Rivendell, as Elrond and Galadriel will be or should be featured in the battle at Dol Guldur)
3. Orcs/wargs (led by Azog and Bolg)
4. Men (led by Bard-who BETTER kill Smaug before this debacle does down because the dragon was never part of the BOFA)
5. Animals, eagles, Radagast (possibly), and Beorn (who will rock the socks of the whole film if it's done right)

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 7:56pm

Post #34 of 46 (355 views)
Shortcut
Seven [In reply to] Can't Post

If you count the bear army:

"Some say that he is a bear descended from the great and ancient bears of the mountains that lived there before the giants came.
-Queer Lodgings

So:

1. Goblins
2. Wargs
3. Men
4. Dwarves
5. Elves
6. Eagles
7. Bears

One is tempted to add Hobbits and say Battle of the Eight Armies (BOA), but Bilbo is hardly the one-person-army that Beorn is.

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

Snowghost77
Lorien

Apr 25 2014, 8:23pm

Post #35 of 46 (343 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's wolves [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some forget that in Tolkien canon, the wild wolves...wargs if you will, were sentient beings who spoke just as we do. In my opinion that would make them an army, whether or not Jackson views them as such is another matter entirely. Based on the movies, it seems Jackson took the more feral approach to the wolves, but who knows?

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Snowghost77
Lorien

Apr 25 2014, 8:29pm

Post #36 of 46 (336 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of a troll army... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem hopeless, then gandalf will show up to help save the day. seeing Beorn battle trolls would be killer as well, and of course a contingent of eagles to shred their faces off.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2014, 11:27pm

Post #37 of 46 (326 views)
Shortcut
True, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

the dragon was never part of the BOFA

...neither was Azog. Nor did Sauron have anything to do with it, for that matter.

This is not to say that I want Smaug to take part in the battle, mind you. Just that this battle is already shaping up to be completely different from Tolkien's account of the event.

Name
Rohan

Apr 25 2014, 11:50pm

Post #38 of 46 (318 views)
Shortcut
Well....... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's account on the event isn't that great in the first place.

But we barely have any solid information yet. What makes you say it will be so different?

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 12:08am

Post #39 of 46 (319 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Orcs motivation for descending on the mountain is completely different from what it was in the books, is it not?

In the book, the Orcs do not go to the mountain until word reaches their ears of Smaug's demise. And Sauron doesn't have anything to do with the Orcs attacking in the book; they do it of their own accord, because they want revenge for the killing of the Great Goblin (and there is some implication that Bolg wants revenge on the Dwarves for killing Azog all those many years ago at the Battle of Azanulbizar). And there is no direct link between Sauron and Smaug in the book, only that Gandalf fears Sauron might try to utilize him somehow.

In the films, the Orcs are already marching on the mountain before the demise of Smaug, and coming from Dol Guldur instead of the Misty Mountains. And Sauron is directing the attack, unlike in the book. And Azog is alive and leading the armies, instead of Bolg.

And then there is this whole Bolg/Legolas set-up, which I am hoping will not result in Legolas killing Bolg instead of Beorn killing him. And there is the Tauriel/Kili dynamic, which will probably be resolved during or after battle, somehow. But we will see.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 2:00am

Post #40 of 46 (315 views)
Shortcut
Lions and Tigers and Bears [In reply to] Can't Post

OH MY!

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 2:06am

Post #41 of 46 (310 views)
Shortcut
?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure what this is supposed to mean...

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Apr 26 2014, 2:11am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 26 2014, 7:35am

Post #42 of 46 (291 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, when we see the spectacle of the opposing forces that is [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about the general audience, who would probably think the good guys having 4 armies sound like a shoo-in for VICTOR OF THE BATTLE. So it will be interesting to see what, if any, new things 9visuals/numbers/bad guys) PJ throws in to even that keel. We've seen it with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 26 2014, 12:32pm

Post #43 of 46 (281 views)
Shortcut
You're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Presumably, in the films the Orcs were sent to Erebor to stop the Dwarves in order to earn Smaug's gratitude and aid in Sauron's plans for the North. Possibly, also to bring the Goblins of the Misty Mountains and Grey Mountains directly under Sauron's control. Of course, the Orcs arrive too late to stop Thorin.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Name
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 2:33pm

Post #44 of 46 (278 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

1 men
2 dwarves
3 elves
4 orcs
5 goblins

Or

1 men
2 dwarves
3 elves
4 orcs/bad guys
5 eagles

These are the only logical combinations in my mind. And I find it hard to think of Jackson not having the eagles as another army. I think even in the cartoon Hobbit movie the eagles were considered the 5th army.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Faramir5
Bree

Apr 26 2014, 4:20pm

Post #45 of 46 (265 views)
Shortcut
And Goblins? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing Goblins will be included. Just like in the book, the Goblin King was killed. I suppose they will want revenge.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 4:24pm

Post #46 of 46 (265 views)
Shortcut
In order of certainty [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dwarves
2. Men
3. Elves (may be considered to be a unified army alongside men)
4. Goblins
5. Eagles
6. Wargs (may be considered "steeds" for Goblins)
7. Bats (may be considered part of the "Goblin" army)

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.