DOS EE
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

burgahobbit
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 7:07pm

Post #26 of 44 (1028 views)
Shortcut
I would love it too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see both trilogies uncut. It's more money for Warners, and its what I would really like. The EE for AUJ does say "The most complete offering to date." So they have left the door open for future and further extended editions.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 7:11pm

Post #27 of 44 (1042 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they are holding anything back for the "ultimate edition" [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

It's either the scenes not fitting into the narrative or not being good enough or simply them not having the budget to finish them up for a home release.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 9:54pm

Post #28 of 44 (992 views)
Shortcut
Well then just say what you would prefer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...without whining about "whining book lovers".

Really, it isn't hard to do that.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Apr 23 2014, 9:55pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 6:04am

Post #29 of 44 (918 views)
Shortcut
not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot of the dwarves' sleeping arrangements when Bilbo is awake and holding the ring shows them in the far back stall sleeping on the hay. Beorn didn't look down that hallway when he came in after shifting back into a man, so it's still plausible he wouldn't have seen them before going to bed.

I also think (though I need a good screencap to verify) that Beorn's bed is in a curtained alcove off the dining room (you see what I think is a bed during some shots of him walking around the table). So if he came in, turned right (the dwarves were far left) and laid down to go to sleep, then gotten up the next morning and immediately went out to chop wood for the morning fire to make breakfast, he may well had missed them until their "two by two" introduction by Gandalf Smile

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 6:06am

Post #30 of 44 (925 views)
Shortcut
I need answers (so does Gandalf) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your point about the dialogue when Gandalf leaves the company is spot on. However this is another example of the effect of PJ constantly reorganising the jigsaw. A scene that was being filmed on the last day of block 3 was Gandalf "I need answers" I maybe wrong but I always felt that was a response to the companies disappointment to him leaving. Of course at that time he wasn't returning to check out the High Fells, he had been there, he needed to ride to Dol Gulder to make sense of all the clues that had appeared regarding the enemy.

On a slightly different point I watched the movie for the first time at home last night and began speculating on where Thrain would be reintegrated.

The prologue is the obvious place to insert his meeting about the map and the key and what happened at the Battle of A.

However given Gandalf's composure (hat still on) when he confronts Azog I am wondering whether the very first trailer has been ditched and the swopping from above recent material replaces it with Gandalf remaining composed during their altercation with more dialogue (self revelation by Thrain and a brief moment of sanity follows).

There is another tantalising alternative/ extension if he remains alive after his contact with Gandalf is he somehow involved in Gandalf's rescue from the cage (A Dwarf leads Gandalf out of some tunnels in one pick up blog).

To your point though, if you are a deep follower and watch the movies repeatedly some things improve and on the whole for me more nuances appear.

The action set pieces actually absorb a lot of mental concentration on early viewings . They deflect me from the more nuanced moments which is why they can appear to take up more time than they do. However what also happens is some matters stand out as incongruous or rushed which I hope the EE's will put right.

I doubt however that the overlong Dwarf/Smaug confrontation will benefit from the EE. It takes to long to get Smaug in the air and whilst a hopeless confrontation makes story and character sense it is simply to long and down grades what has proceeded it.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 24 2014, 7:17am

Post #31 of 44 (906 views)
Shortcut
But once we have DVDs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there's this wonderful 'skip' button, so we can avoid all the meaningless action sequences! (except for the barrels, which I really like).

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 11:37am

Post #32 of 44 (871 views)
Shortcut
Barrel of laughs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes Elizabeth curiously I have come to love the Barrels sequence as well because it has a nice emotional range surprise/genuine bravery from the Dwarves really getting wet through and humour. its the latter which is crucial whereas Smaug endlessly chasing the Dwarves around Erebor is tiresome and repetitive.

I have changed my mind about the Goldfinger section it is a wonderful visual metaphor for the hubris of both Thror and Smaug and the irony of the vanquished dazzling the vanquisher works well BUT they should have arrived at that point much quicker with it being the sole gambit on offer from Thorin.

Why does everything have to end up as an endless chase sequence in modern cinema.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Apr 24 2014, 11:38am)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 12:21pm

Post #33 of 44 (862 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say meaningless [In reply to] Can't Post

The end sequence could be shortened and I would even say choose between Bombur or Legolas durincg the barrels scene. However, I wouldn't call anything else meaningless so my skip button will be skipped in its using. I mean if you're skipping tons of stuff what's the point of watching the movie? Might as well get one of those dumb fan made piece together movies.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Apr 24 2014, 12:22pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 12:57pm

Post #34 of 44 (850 views)
Shortcut
lol... Beorn's 'bear sense' would have to really be off then [In reply to] Can't Post

If he can enter into his own home and not smell the presence of 12 dwarves LaughTongueSmile.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 2:08pm

Post #35 of 44 (871 views)
Shortcut
25 more mintues [In reply to] Can't Post

According to PJ the EE is getting 25 more mins.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2014, 2:41pm

Post #36 of 44 (835 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news - and new music by Howard Shore, too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 3:08pm

Post #37 of 44 (832 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope we get a super cd set when these are all over just like with LOTR and that it tours as well.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 3:36pm

Post #38 of 44 (838 views)
Shortcut
Super news [In reply to] Can't Post

This is most welcome, character scenes, which I assume they are have two effects. They provide moments of pleasure and rebalance the overall out come. The difference between Bilbo and the Dwarves reaction to Rivendell is properly developed with just a handful of extras moments displaying the formers reverence and the latters vulgarity.

Watching the movie last night made me think that Bard's treatment was full and rich and felt EE like, though I expect we will get the welcome party, whereas Beorn and Mirkwood didn't have that lingering quality we so much enjoy.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Apr 24 2014, 3:37pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 4:05pm

Post #39 of 44 (785 views)
Shortcut
that is true [In reply to] Can't Post

but how much does his "bear sense" work when he's in human form?

It is an interesting question, for sure Smile But that does bear the question (no pun intended)- why didn't he deal with them right then, rather than waiting til morning? Because the orcs were still out there?

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2014, 6:57pm

Post #40 of 44 (777 views)
Shortcut
100% Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

The Ranger Anduiel
The Shire

Apr 25 2014, 12:28am

Post #41 of 44 (741 views)
Shortcut
You read my mind! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that they should also add in their trek through the "Desolation" of Dale. For viewers I feel like it would really bring things full circle in terms of the " blind ambition of a mountain king" and Thorin's descent into the same illness with his treatment of Laketown. If that makes sense. Plus it may help all those who didn't understand that Dale and the damage to the mountain were the "Desolation of Smaug" not that Smaug was going to do much desolation in the movie. Plus I personally would like to see it for my own emotional journey.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Apr 25 2014, 10:23am

Post #42 of 44 (719 views)
Shortcut
Awesome news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I hope we do not get any more action in those 25 minutes - I would much rather have them spent on character interactions and story moments to break up the pace a little bit.

What I'm hoping for:

1. More of Beorn - The introductions (though not in pairs - maybe introducing them a family at a time might work better, i.e Oin and Gloin, then Bifur, Bofur and Bombur, then Dwalin and Balin, then Nori, Dori and Ori etc etc), more of his backstory (his torture in Dol Guldur etc), his relationship to Radagast. I also want a much more detailed look at his home, inside and out.

2. Mirkwood - The enchanted river and Bombur falling asleep, the white stag, some more getting lost, perhaps something more in the spider's nest. Generally I just want to see more of the forest. Maybe show some of the fell creatures that Beorn advised were lurking there, besides the spiders.

3. Thranduil's Halls - More interaction between Thranduil and the dwarves. As with Beorn, I'd also like a more in-depth look at the place. The Feast of Starlight would be pretty cool to see too, with Thranduil interacting more with his people.

4. The High Fells - I'm not entirely sure what I want of this, I know I just want more. Perhaps a little bit more of Gandalf actually getting there, instead of just appearing? I feel like DOS does this a lot - the characters just appear at their destination, and there isn't as much travelling. I want to see more of that.

5. Lake Town - Thorin's speech felt a little short, I'd like this to be fleshed out a little more. I'd also like to see the party the night before they leave for Erebor, and how Bofur ended up passing out. Show Kili's deterioration a little more, during the party perhaps?

6. Dale - The company passing through Dale and looking upon the scorched ruins. Perhaps show the mangled frame of the Windlance up on the tower. And a little bit more searching for the Secret Door would be good.

That should do it. Surely that's not too much to ask for? Tongue

(This post was edited by Boromir Stark on Apr 25 2014, 10:24am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 25 2014, 1:09pm

Post #43 of 44 (692 views)
Shortcut
Love all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I hope we do not get any more action in those 25 minutes - I would much rather have them spent on character interactions and story moments to break up the pace a little bit.

What I'm hoping for:

1. More of Beorn - The introductions (though not in pairs - maybe introducing them a family at a time might work better, i.e Oin and Gloin, then Bifur, Bofur and Bombur, then Dwalin and Balin, then Nori, Dori and Ori etc etc), more of his backstory (his torture in Dol Guldur etc), his relationship to Radagast. I also want a much more detailed look at his home, inside and out.

2. Mirkwood - The enchanted river and Bombur falling asleep, the white stag, some more getting lost, perhaps something more in the spider's nest. Generally I just want to see more of the forest. Maybe show some of the fell creatures that Beorn advised were lurking there, besides the spiders.

3. Thranduil's Halls - More interaction between Thranduil and the dwarves. As with Beorn, I'd also like a more in-depth look at the place. The Feast of Starlight would be pretty cool to see too, with Thranduil interacting more with his people.

4. The High Fells - I'm not entirely sure what I want of this, I know I just want more. Perhaps a little bit more of Gandalf actually getting there, instead of just appearing? I feel like DOS does this a lot - the characters just appear at their destination, and there isn't as much travelling. I want to see more of that.

5. Lake Town - Thorin's speech felt a little short, I'd like this to be fleshed out a little more. I'd also like to see the party the night before they leave for Erebor, and how Bofur ended up passing out. Show Kili's deterioration a little more, during the party perhaps?

6. Dale - The company passing through Dale and looking upon the scorched ruins. Perhaps show the mangled frame of the Windlance up on the tower. And a little bit more searching for the Secret Door would be good.

That should do it. Surely that's not too much to ask for? Tongue

DjU
Lorien

Apr 25 2014, 3:40pm

Post #44 of 44 (680 views)
Shortcut
Beorn Scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Even prior to the confirmation of 25 mins of footage for the EE, this part was probably the bit I was most sure would be re added back into the cut - even if at first glance it might not seem it.

The reason I say this is because the music for some type of Beorn / Necromancer / Gandalf scene appears on the Special Edition of the DoS soundtrack Album. Track 4 on the SE edition "The House of Beorn" (extended version) about 2.10-4.15 was the bit not used in the film.

Either it was in cut of the film late enough to be scored or they pre-scored the EE and some of it snuck through in that track.

So unless
its been shifted out of DoS for some type of prologue in BotFA then it should re-appear.

Obviously with the news that there is at least 25 minutes, a lot of other things have probably become a lot more guaranteed.

In Reply To

This is one part that I don't expected to be altered.

Yes the version we saw in DoS was different from the sneak peak versions we saw - it was tightened up and a few lines were removed - however I reckon it will stay as it was.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.