Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are the odds of Gollum Appearing in TABA?

pacochoa
Bree

Apr 22 2014, 7:25pm

Post #1 of 17 (889 views)
Shortcut
What are the odds of Gollum Appearing in TABA? Can't Post

See article below. . .

"This year, Serkis will be featured in three blockbusters in major performance capture roles. Besides his work on "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" as Caesar, Serkis will also be seen in "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" as Gollum and in "Godzilla" as the big scaley guy himself"

http://www.rogerebert.com/...e-planet-of-the-apes

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 7:29pm

Post #2 of 17 (585 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall somewhere that Serkis said that PJ was the one who would decide whether he was included in TABA, after the main shoot was over.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 17 (559 views)
Shortcut
The odds aren't good... [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't heard anything to indicate this would be the case...I can't really see how Gollum would be incorporated anyway.

I bet this is just a misplaced reference to his work as a unit director in the Hobbit films.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

(This post was edited by FrogmortonJustice65 on Apr 22 2014, 7:37pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2014, 7:48pm

Post #4 of 17 (544 views)
Shortcut
A "ForeSHADOWing" Moment has been discussed here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby is All
For it!

davidjUK
Bree

Apr 22 2014, 7:59pm

Post #5 of 17 (507 views)
Shortcut
A cameo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's possible he could appear towards the end, and we see Gollum come out of the Misty Mountains. That way we know he's left and he's out in the wild, ready for Lord of the Rings.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Apr 22 2014, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 17 (500 views)
Shortcut
We actually have [In reply to] Can't Post

As Bofur01 mentioned, but it was just a hint, and it's something which can really be taken anyway.

I have no idea when it was, but in some interview, Peter Jackson was asked if Gollum would return after An Unexpected Journey. He paused, laughed, and said "I can't answer that." Perhaps he just didn't want to say, "Oh no, his story is over until it picks up again in the Fellowship". Perhaps he did film something and wanted it to be a surprise, but wasn't sure if he was going to include it. Or perhaps he hadn't decided whether or not he was going to film something like that in the pick ups yet (it was a while ago).

Take it as you will, but I for one am really hoping we see Gollum. Bolg and Legolas fought each other in Lake-town as Smaug got covered in gold and Kili confessed his love for Tauriel. Why the heck not give one of the most beloved LOTR characters another moment to shine in this long awaited grand finale? Someone had the idea that Gollum could throw the stone at Bilbo. I really like that idea! Then he could come to take the ring, when suddenly Gandalf comes to see if Bilbo is alright, scaring Gollum off for the rest of the battle.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 22 2014, 9:32pm

Post #7 of 17 (429 views)
Shortcut
I don't see how they could include [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't mind if his inclusion was done well, but I've got to say his last shot in AUJ was PERFECT and was a good way to say farewell to the character.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2014, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 17 (431 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a bit more than a cameo, my precious... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will stand by my prediction that Gollum will be brought in to mete out the doom of the Master of Lake-town. Instead of dying of hunger and thirst in the Wilderland beyond Esgaroth, the Master will find long, strong fingers around his neck.

GOLLUM: "Tells us about the hobbit, my precious. Tells us about the Bagginses!"

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 22 2014, 10:10pm

Post #9 of 17 (405 views)
Shortcut
Godzilla [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis did NOT do motion capture for Godzilla, he was just a consultant. Just to clear that up as I hadn't heard that and got excited when I read this.

Farficom
Rivendell

Apr 23 2014, 12:12am

Post #10 of 17 (357 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

The odds are pretty good that Gollum at least pops up in some kind of a flashback. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make shoehorn him in.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2014, 3:14am

Post #11 of 17 (343 views)
Shortcut
I bet that if we get more Gollum, [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a very short CGI-sequence without any voice or motion capture by Andy!
Maybe a far away shot of the Misty Mountains with Gollum climbing out Smile
They may zoom in and use some breathing or something that Andy recorded for Riddles in the Dark which was not included

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

burgahobbit
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 17 (184 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like it [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't make sense to me. He must have known that Bilbo was trying to get out of the mountain. ("I want to get unlost as soon as possible." "You, show me, the way out, yes?") So why is he cursing Bilbo by yelling into the mountain? I guess (movie) Gollum just isn't too bright, so he forgot the conversation and thought that Bilbo went deeper into the mountain for some reason. But still, for me it always distracts from the scene. I too love the way it was shot with Gollum screaming right into the camera just like in Rankin Bass' Hobbit, but I just don't understand why he runs and yells in the opposite direction that Bilbo obviously went.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 7:34pm

Post #13 of 17 (182 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

he is talking to himself?

Name
Rohan

Apr 23 2014, 8:00pm

Post #14 of 17 (177 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely love this idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 23 2014, 8:07pm

Post #15 of 17 (172 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've mentioned variations of this notion any number of times (as other long-time posters will no doubt attest). It just seems like a logical way to go in light of other Jackson additions/alterations.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rickster
Rohan

Apr 24 2014, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 17 (127 views)
Shortcut
there is 0% chance for it [In reply to] Can't Post

He is not part of any story that could justify his arrival

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 24 2014, 10:31pm

Post #17 of 17 (114 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He is not part of any story that could justify his arrival

Even Tolkien had Gollum emerge from beneath the Misty Mountains within the timeframe of the book (if you include Balin and Gandalf's visit to Bilbo in TA 2949). Do you really thnk that Jackson wouldn't move it up a bit?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.